Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1954 build thread "Beatrix"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

schwartzkafer wrote:
Any luck on the stencils for etching? I was hoping to get some made out of self adhesive vinyl, so I can use the etching solution from craft stores. Used it on some wine glasses, and it works great.

Just talked to the shop and he said the one vinyl used for stencils was too delicate to cut something so small. The cutter just ended up wrecking and moving the vinyl as the cuts needed are so small.

So he's going to try a heavier duty vinyl, which will be harder to peel off but hopefully withstand the cutting process.

I'll keep ya posted Smile
2016 Golf highline - hubby’s daily
2016 Golf R - my daily
Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Did you talk to Pro touch engraving? They do all the etching on my glass.
70 911T
91 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Trevor P wrote:
Did you talk to Pro touch engraving? They do all the etching on my glass.

They are my plan B if I can't do it myself Wink
I want to do it myself if the stencils are a possibility.
2016 Golf R - my daily
volksboy57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Instead of using a vinyl cutter, perhaps you can use this blue PNP material? I think you just use your regular printer, and it can make a design you can use for acid etching: http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/easy_etching.htm
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

volksboy57 wrote:
Instead of using a vinyl cutter, perhaps you can use this blue PNP material? I think you just use your regular printer, and it can make a design you can use for acid etching: http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/easy_etching.htm

Interesting! I'll look into it!
2016 Golf R - my daily
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Look what I got last night Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The gentleman who rebuilt it for me was impressed with my build so far; helped me put the spring plates back in and said he was happy to work on something so clean. We used the punch marks made on the frame when they were taken off as a guide to where they go. I fiddled with them until the plate lined up right with the punch mark so here's to hoping they went on the right spline. I hope once the car is on the ground that they are where they need to be.

Had to ream the transmission holes to accommodate WW's front mount and then it went on easily.

Still have to fasten it to the carrier and the spring plates, and attach the Bowden tube support etc but it feels good to have it on the pan. I attached it to the gear shift rod with the coupler and I am just guessing which way is correct? Does it matter which end faces the front of the car? I still have to secure it with wire. I need to clean up the excess glue from the axle seals, switch out the proper bolts for the spring plate covers (realize that I'm one short... Lovely) and the back plates (can't find the 15mm head and 10mm x 1.5 thread bolts for this either. Also lovely. The boots need securing... Do I use any sort of seal or just the clamps? Shocks then can go on. I'm thinking I'll take my time doing this stuff as there won't be a lot for me to do while I wait for things to come back.

The window etching... Found out yesterday that vinyl decals can't be created so I'll look into having a local engraving shop do it for me. My vent window glass came back 1/4" too big so I'll get that cut again and then have the glass etched.

Got a couple things back from being plated; I'll update pics if I remember. Just gonna keep plunking away. Hope to have my wheels soon; body guy says it's too hot and humid in his shop to paint.

With the Canada Post strike looming, I never sent out my painted semaphore arms. I will just hand deliver them in August at the ACVW show since I'll be there in a couple weeks.

I sent all my engine stuff with the man who did the transmission, so my garage/car pile is getting smaller and smaller. I just need to send my generator/regulator at a later time as I still don't have it back yet.

I need to print out all the torque specs for putting this stuff together. Where can I find a nice concise list? This is something I'd like to make sure I get done so everything is ready to go when the body goes on.

The chroming shop said they were just staring my order last week so I don't expect that back anytime soon.

I've been doing some interior research and I was surprised how quickly Lenny can get an interior made. So once I get all my current things out paid for and I can budget for it, I hope to order the interior in the fall/winter if our dollar gets better.
2016 Golf R - my daily
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Congrats! That chassis and transaxle look great! I'll bet you're getting more and more excited as things go back together. You'll have one beautiful ride when you're done!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Can you post a closeup of where the spring plate rest on the edge of the torsion bar housing.

From these pictures it appears off. Did you have to use a lot of force to lift the spring up and then slide on?

The pictures seem to show the spring plate is not resting on the lip/edge of the housing.

If it's not, your car will be a low rider...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Can you post a closeup of where the spring plate rest on the edge of the torsion bar housing.

From these pictures it appears off. Did you have to use a lot of force to lift the spring up and then slide on?

The pictures seem to show the spring plate is not resting on the lip/edge of the housing.

If it's not, your car will be a low rider...

After sleeping on it, I have decided to ask Trevor to come and help me measure the spring plates as I had a feeling it wasn't in the right spot. They are not equal so something is up.

If you look closely you'll see something else that's not correct so the transmission has to come back out anyway.

Thanks for the heads up. Wink

I'll post again once I get them measured.
2016 Golf R - my daily
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

http://vw.zenseeker.net/Wheels-TorsionBars.htm

My favorite site for indexing your spring plates.

You really need an angle measuring tool to do it right(easier). Set the chassis perfectly level and use angle tool on spring plates...

Stock angle before sliding on ledge, is ~17 degrees

The site above will help
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
http://vw.zenseeker.net/Wheels-TorsionBars.htm

My favorite site for indexing your spring plates.

You really need an angle measuring tool to do it right(easier). Set the chassis perfectly level and use angle tool on spring plates...

Stock angle before sliding on ledge, is ~17 degrees

The site above will help

Thanks, I'll have a read.

We had measured when we took them off so I do have the angle they were at when the tension had been released.

Either way I plan to do it correctly.
2016 Golf R - my daily
caleb0101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
I'm a shit disturber. This is someone else's stash. Except for the blue car. That is my 1959 Canadian custom sunroof. A very rare car that took me 25 years to find.

Don
I always thought that it was crazy that some of our beetles could be rare considering how many beetles were made over the years I have a 60 euro rag with a dealer installed electric fuel gauge and a oval neiman steering lock
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Any further updates, Charlene? I hate to see this great build drop off the first page. Wink
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Awesome job as always.

I think I would have gotten those axle boots on before bolting the axles to the spring plates, because they're much easier to install with the axles straight as opposed to hanging down on an angle. I'm wondering why the builder didn't do it.

Heinz Nordhoff
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
Awesome job as always.

I think I would have gotten those axle boots on before bolting the axles to the spring plates, because they're much easier to install with the axles straight as opposed to hanging down on an angle. I'm wondering why the builder didn't do it.

Hey!
So the boots aren't installed so they don't get torn on the carrier when installing the transmission. It'll be a quick install once it's back in place.

Just in Vancouver for the ACVW show - hope to meet some of you!

Here's a couple pics so I feel like I've updated. I've been picking away but so busy lately I haven't had time to post!

Plated bulb holders that need the bulb mounts added back, still need to find an extra one as my original was missing one.

Window regulators look great zinc plated with a new spring, thanks Don for finding that spring for me.

And the guys at ACC helping Rick and I get the transmission finished. Just waiting on Trevor to help check the spring plates before it goes back in. We're both here in Van for the show so I have to wait til after the show when we both have time.

I'll post updates after the show if I got any cool stuff Wink
2016 Golf R - my daily
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Quote:
Window regulators look great zinc plated with a new spring, thanks Don for finding that spring for me.

What fun it has been to dig around and find these tiny bits for your car. I was kinda sad I didn't have any heater box stuff for you, I've gotten rid of so much of that over the years. Keep your calls and requests coming, we love to hear from you!

Don
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
Quote:
Window regulators look great zinc plated with a new spring, thanks Don for finding that spring for me

What fun it has been to dig around and find these tiny bits for your car. I was kinda sad I didn't have any heater box stuff for you, I've gotten rid of so much of that over the years. Keep your calls and requests coming, we love to hear from you!

Don

Haha, Don, be careful what you wish for!!

Met SO MANY cool people today at the drag races of the great Canadian. Huge thanks to Bwaz for making sure I got introduced to the air cooled guys.

Thanks ultramoron for letting me sit in your car. I'm still smiling.

2016 Golf R - my daily
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Hi Charmaine- I've been enjoying your build for quite a while, it is really cool to meet unexpectedly. Enjoy your GCVW weekend. It's a pleasure to share our hobby and this car with people who have as much enthusiasm as you. -Patrick
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

And for never sitting in a split before, you had your fill this weekend!
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

You guys are amazing. So many of you are just awesome people.

I cannot say enough wonderful things about everyone I met this weekend. Being with all of you totally made this trip! I'll never ever ever forget how you all made me feel welcome and part of the gang.

I must admit, I thought prior to coming to this that I was a fairly high level enthusiast... But after meeting you guys I realize that I'm totally entry level Laughing Thanks again for sharing all your knowledge and connections with me. Beatrix will be very appreciative!

For the record, Brian, I had never even SEEN a split before in real life... Let alone sit in TWO. Now I've seen 5! Lol. I am in awe. And in awe of all the people and new friends I met.

Brian brought some hardware for me to pick through Smile A few people thought this was pretty funny with the two of us sorting through hardware on the sidewalk.

The look on my face here pretty much says it all.

Learning so much... From a great teacher!

Checking everything out closely. It's obvious that I have a thing for the early stuff.

Trevor and I talking in the bottom right corner.

Even ran into 3 longtime friends who used to live in Saskatoon but now live in Vancouver.

Also would like to show everyone this totally rad article that Patrick shared with me. Check out that overrider tube; it's the same one that I have. I'm assuming that the VW dealer dressed this car up extra fancy for the article and that's why it's there along with the arbitrary extra overriders. But the same upper tube and style as the one I have, bolted to the top of the overrider. I really think it was a dealer supplied accessory. The article is dated Feb 1955.

I'm a happy girl.
Now just for the 16+ hour drive home. I can't wait to hug my kids.
2016 Golf R - my daily
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Page 33 of 53

Jump to: