Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

trans rebuild in okc or buy a new one online?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SOLiiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: trans rebuild in okc or buy a new one online? Reply with quote

I'm new to the bug world so please don't tack me up to a cross if my ignorance shows.

I got my bug a few days ago and wanting to use it as a daily. I want to make sure its all good since that stuff black magic to me and in don't have a place to work on it.

I just read a comment saying buying a new one will probably be easier since parts availability and blah blah blah. If so I'll go that route. Do you have any recommendations where to look? Not looking for a drag machine power glide or anything. When the motor gets a rebuild it'll be for around 120hp. Don't care for more. Remember, DD Laughing .

Last edited by SOLiiD on Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: trans rebuild in okc or buy a new one online? Reply with quote

My personal opinion....give Benco a call. Tell them what you need and discuss the options. I had good luck with them. Or, you can check the feedback forum for reviews on that one and other companies.

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: trans rebuild in okc or buy a new one online? Reply with quote

What's wrong with the current transmission? If it shifts ok and doesn't do anything funny leave it in the car.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: trans rebuild in okc or buy a new one online? Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
What's wrong with the current transmission? If it shifts ok and doesn't do anything funny leave it in the car.

Truth.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: trans rebuild in okc or buy a new one online? Reply with quote

you can buy
-used for 200-300$----chance of working right 33%
-rebuilt by semi-retired mechanic/hobbiest for 400-700, chance of working right 66%
-rebuilt by a professional 1000-1200, chance of working right 95%

If you can't afford for it to fail, it costs 1.5-3x more. That's how it is.
You can't buy a new one, shoot man a NEW ransmission would cost around 2500$, IF they existed
DeathTrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: trans rebuild in okc or buy a new one online? Reply with quote

All that and many times it's just a stripped brake drum.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: trans rebuild in okc or buy a new one online? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
you can buy
-used for 200-300$----chance of working right 33%
-rebuilt by semi-retired mechanic/hobbiest for 400-700, chance of working right 66%
-rebuilt by a professional 1000-1200, chance of working right 95%

If you can't afford for it to fail, it costs 1.5-3x more. That's how it is.
You can't buy a new one, shoot man a NEW ransmission would cost around 2500$, IF they existed
kinda depends on your application.
SOLiiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: trans rebuild in okc or buy a new one online? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Multi69s wrote:

Truth.

FK! hit the report button and typed my reply in that... MODS/ADMINS, disregard that report.
AdBlock removes that button so it wont happen again, phew!

It grinds going into first like I dont know how to use a clutch pedal, even after being stopped at a light.
gimpy60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: trans rebuild in okc or buy a new one online? Reply with quote

Call Rickey Shackleford @ Sandsation 104th & s.Dobbs rd.

p.m me, I will look for his #
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: trans rebuild in okc or buy a new one online? Reply with quote

SOLiiD wrote:
It grinds going into first like I dont know how to use a clutch pedal, even after being stopped at a light.

Normally when you get grinding going into a gear it can mean the synchro is worn out. However, in your case you have another problem.
The synchro's job is to grab onto the input shaft and speed it up, or slow it down to match the speed of the pinion shaft. When you are stopped at a light, your pinion shaft is not turning. When you push the clutch pedal to the floor, after a couple of seconds the viscosity of the oil will stop the input shaft. Meaning that you don't need a synchro on 1st gear (just like VW built 54-60 Beetles)
Since you are getting grinding, it means your input shaft is still turning when your pedal is on the floor.
Possible causes:
Insufficient freeplay
lack of lube in the pilot bearing in the gland nut
sticky splines on the input shaft
broken clutch tube anchors (preventing full disengagement)
cracked late pedal (preventing full disengagement)
broken/bent arms on the throw out bearing cross shaft (preventing full disengagement)
Others will add to the list of things to check.

You don't need a new gearbox. Change your gear oil.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: trans rebuild in okc or buy a new one online? Reply with quote

Repeating some of what was said.

Assuming you are the whole way to the floor and you are grinding going into gear, correct? If that is the case, then cable adjustment is your first step. But not the only step.

Clutch pedal feels funny.....Had this in my wifes 61. Just felt like it was not smooth at all. Did some checking around....The cable was sawing into the end of the bowden tube at the rear. Got the correct tube, replaced the cable and it was smooth as silk.

Gear oil - if you don't know when it was changed last, then change it. I have been using Carquest synthetic for quite a while in quite a few cars. Not real expensive and works well. Make sure you get the correct oil for hypoid gears.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SOLiiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: trans rebuild in okc or buy a new one online? Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Repeating some of what was said.

Assuming you are the whole way to the floor and you are grinding going into gear, correct? If that is the case, then cable adjustment is your first step. But not the only step.

Clutch pedal feels funny.....Had this in my wifes 61. Just felt like it was not smooth at all. Did some checking around....The cable was sawing into the end of the bowden tube at the rear. Got the correct tube, replaced the cable and it was smooth as silk.

Gear oil - if you don't know when it was changed last, then change it. I have been using Carquest synthetic for quite a while in quite a few cars. Not real expensive and works well. Make sure you get the correct oil for hypoid gears.

Ill look into adjusting the cable, and definitely change the fluid. The pedal feels like a good clutch should feel.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: trans rebuild in okc or buy a new one online? Reply with quote

First gear synco is weak, but, that's not unusual, probably half of them in the world are like that now. I would not rebuilt it just for that one thing.
If it grinds when your stopped that sounds like the clutch is dragging, if so.
It will grind going into reverse too.
SOLiiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: trans rebuild in okc or buy a new one online? Reply with quote

Reverse is fine. I read up on clutch adjustment and I dont remember there being any play so it may be too tight. But the 'play' I am a little unclear on... Is it how much movement i can get out of the pedal before the clutch is engaged/disengaged or is it how much free wobble there is until I feel resistance?
andrewvwclassic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: trans rebuild in okc or buy a new one online? Reply with quote

could be a conglomoration off stacking up against you. pull the engine and make sure you/mechanic everything checks out, and you/mechanic can adjust your shift plate as well. I would be suprised if your tranny itself has actually failed. If it has buy a rebuilt transmission and take off 200 from the 1200$ for the shot out core.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: