Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rose City Bug In Portland, OR - August 7, 2016
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Rose City Bug In Portland, OR - August 7, 2016 Reply with quote

So this show is coming up, on August 7th I believe. I'm always skeptical of shows/promoters that don't advertise their event here in this forum (I mean, this is only the biggest ACVW forum, so why would you bother Rolling Eyes), so in a round about sort of way I guess that is what I'm doing.

So, I've never been before. From the little I see, it doesn't look like much. Worth the drive down from Seattle? Not even sure if I can get the time off work as I just recently saw it under event listings (which is underwhelmingly basic, check it out), but I'm thinking about it. Anyone headed there? What else is happening that weekend?

Event organizers: PROMOTE YOUR EVENT IF YOU WANT IT TO SURVIVE!!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rose City Bug In Portland, OR - August 7, 2016 Reply with quote

I added the date to the thread title.

I see they didn't really post anything in here last year or this year but did before that.

Here's the web site listed from their listing in the Events listing on the site:
http://portlandraceway.com/?/events/major_events
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lostarter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rose City Bug In Portland, OR - August 7, 2016 Reply with quote

I will be driving up from Eugene . It's usually pretty good.
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Rose City Bug In Portland, OR - August 7, 2016 Reply with quote

I can't get off of work Sad

Is this event always on the first weekend of August?
stanthedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Rose City Bug In Portland, OR - August 7, 2016 Reply with quote

Seems to be smaller than the woodburn show, but I personally like it better, It has tree's for shade.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Rose City Bug In Portland, OR - August 7, 2016 Reply with quote

GTV wrote:
Event organizers: PROMOTE YOUR EVENT IF YOU WANT IT TO SURVIVE!!

Some places just don't advertise on the samba.
FWIW, I think the Portland show is under new management this year. I think Ashley handed over the torch.

Anyhow, it is generally a great time, great weather and lots of people and cars and big swap.
I will be going.
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rose City Bug In Portland, OR - August 7, 2016 Reply with quote

It's a show that's been hit and miss through the years. The best years have been the ones where VW people have been behind it. The worst ones have been those years in which the track itself managed the event.

It used to be a major happening back in the '80s and early to mid '90s. Rose City Bug-In in 1990 was the second VW show I ever attended, the first being the 1989 Medford Bug In.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Rose City Bug In Portland, OR - August 7, 2016 Reply with quote

Some early bus parts to be had tomorrow!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Rose City Bug In Portland, OR - August 7, 2016 Reply with quote

How was it?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutenfree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rose City Bug In Portland, OR - August 7, 2016 Reply with quote

bugnut68 wrote:
How was it?

It was my 1st year attending but I hear tons of folks commenting how small the turn-out was. Definitely one of the smallest dub shows I have ventured to over the years.
Last show I made it to was in Denver 2012 and it was quite a bit bigger.
I had a good time no matter tho it could've lasted a bit longer as everyone was pretty much gone by 3 pm
my Shapeways store
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rose City Bug In Portland, OR - August 7, 2016 Reply with quote

glutenfree wrote:
bugnut68 wrote:
How was it?

It was my 1st year attending but I hear tons of folks commenting how small the turn-out was. Definitely one of the smallest dub shows I have ventured to over the years.

Maybe because it was poorly advertised Rolling Eyes

Better luck next year...
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rose City Bug In Portland, OR - August 7, 2016 Reply with quote

Sounds like I called it... worst events were the ones promoted/held by the track, and it sounds like the track took over event management again. Bummer.
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Rose City Bug In Portland, OR - August 7, 2016 Reply with quote

bugnut68 wrote:
Sounds like I called it... worst events were the ones promoted/held by the track, and it sounds like the track took over event management again. Bummer.

Being that the link for the event took you straight to the track's page, I'd say you are right.
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rose City Bug In Portland, OR - August 7, 2016 Reply with quote

this show has been circling the drain for years

like many shows in this area they are poorly planned, have little to no advertisement, and lack of camping kills the bus crowd attendance

add that to the fact most of the clubs that have been putting these shows on year after year are too narrow minded to listen to criticism about how to improve their shows

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Rose City Bug In Portland, OR - August 7, 2016 Reply with quote

It used to be a good event... back in the early to mid 90s, especially. Hot VWs used to cover it in the late '80s and early '90s when it was held on the same weekend as the Bugnationals up at Pacific (formerly Seattle International) Raceway. That used to be a big big weekend in the Northwest. Portland on a Saturday, vintage meet in Seattle area that day as well I think for the vintage crowd, and then the Bugnationals on Sunday.
I think a guy named Jake Jacobsen used to put the show on back in that era... Autosport International was a sponsor, as was the long since defunct shop German Japanese Auto Parts.

1990 saw them bring up a bunch of California racers... Mitch Evensen with the R&R ghia, Matt Forquer with his car (later crashed at either Sears Point or Sacramento, can't remember which?), Adam Wik with his Wikked Pro Stock, Jim Larsen with the Larsen/RAmey Pro Stock, Candy Larsen with her car that became Dominick Luppino's Unlimited Street car (now under new ownership, can't remember his name)... that was my second VW event ever and it was a blast.
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Rose City Bug In Portland, OR - August 7, 2016 Reply with quote

The Rose City Bug In just happened? And I missed it?! Absolutely terrible advertising, I'd say. Shocked
glutenfree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Rose City Bug In Portland, OR - August 7, 2016 Reply with quote

stevemariott wrote:
The Rose City Bug In just happened? And I missed it?! Absolutely terrible advertising, I'd say. Shocked

Tonight is the VW Drive-In night at the Newberg Drive-In...

http://www.absolutelyvolkswagen.org/images/movie%20night%20poster%202016.jpg
my Shapeways store
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Rose City Bug In Portland, OR - August 7, 2016 Reply with quote

stevemariott wrote:

Are you on Facebook? Not sure, but I wonder if all people running these events, think FB is the only place to advertise? Not sure they even did, just asking....For me, FB is out of the question anymore, I was on there, they decided I needed to provide proper ID for my user name of Longroofs. Fuk them! They are like Walmart as far as I'm concerned. Bleepn a-hole is worth a ton of money, but I'm the problem without my actual name? I never was a problem on FB, maybe they could not sell my name to whomever, who knows?

If putting on an event, I would advertise everywhere.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: