Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle Reply with quote

That's where I left my needle-nose Vise-Grips! d'oh!

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
I don't go over 70 in my 1600 dp '74 Super Beetle, but I could if I wanted. Perhaps your advance isn't advancing enough, and that's why you're having trouble maintaining 60 mph.

I hope you derusted and painted the inside of your air box when you were in there.

Google: how to install seat upholstery in a Volkswagen Beetle. Wolfsburg West has a nice tutorial on the proper way to do the front seats. Pay special attention to the seat bottom procedure.

Tim

Just in case this becomes helpful down the road. when it comes to upholstery be aware that the JBugs video, which was just fine in 1990, is outdated. The current products - foam and cloth will not work using these older instructions. The foam must be cut down to fit inside their cloth/vinyl upholstery. Seems simple. But it will not work using these instructions. Very frustrating - wastes time and a bit of $$ on items you don't need. They are re-making the video.
JCrimson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Again, I don't remove the tire for this procedure.

With the back end supported on jack stands at each side, and my feet sticking out the back of the car, I use a pair of pointy vice grips to clamp and hold the clutch cable from turning--a few inches before the clutch arm. Then, I spray a little grease--using the red straw that comes with CRC lithium grease--onto the area where the wing nut engages the clutch arm. This makes it easier to turn the wing nut. At this point, I turn the wing nut to get my 1/2 to 3/4 inch play at the pedal before encountering resistance.

You can add a bit more grease while turning to make sure all the interior sides of the clutch arm are lubed.

Check the pedal by hand when measuring, and don't forget to undo your vice grips from the cable.

Tim

Thanks Tim,
I think I've got the clutch dialed now. Surprisingly the wing nut turned with not as much effort as I thought. I did have to use an adjustable wrench to hold the line though, due to all of my vice grips disappearing. I thought it would sort out the stumble I sometimes get when exiting first gear, almost as if I'm not applying enough gas. Sometimes I have to kind of ride the clutch out while applying a decent amount of gas to get it to not buck, carburetor issue? I'm trying to join a local VW club so that I can possibly check out some other bugs and possibly ride in one so I'll know what may be abnormal with mine. Though they are all different.

I've been driving it daily while I work on my girlfriends Jeep and she's driving mine. I notice a lot of heat gets into the cabin primarily on the passenger side lower cable controlled vent. It is closed, but is this "heat bleed" a normal occurrence? Is there a better way to prevent it?

My brother is also currently in the process of trying to convince me to drive the Beetle 4 hours up to Pontiac Michigan, for the Hot Rod's Roadkill Nights car show and drag racing. I'm not so sure it's ready for a 4 hour trip just yet...
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle Reply with quote

JCrimson wrote:
I notice a lot of heat gets into the cabin primarily on the passenger side lower cable controlled vent. It is closed, but is this "heat bleed" a normal occurrence? Is there a better way to prevent it?

I'd check the adjustment of the barrel nuts on the ends of the heater cables, at the heat exchangers.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle Reply with quote

It takes a few moments to remove the big flexible tube that attaches your heat exchanger to the Bakelite tube that transfers heated air into your cabin. Take off the one on the side where you have heat leaking into the footwell heater vent. After doing this, you can actually see inside the heat exchanger. Is the little flap closed all the way in there? If not, do as Cusser mentioned and adjust the barrel nut, and end of the cable.

Perhaps the little door is damaged around the edges and is not sealing; although I doubt this. Those little red-edged flaps are pretty sturdy. But look, anyway.

It's not normal for your car to buck as you try to accelerate. Sounds like you may have an issue with your distributor advance; but more likely, an issue with your carburetor's accelerator-pump adjustment. Does it seem as if you have a "flat spot" when pressing down on the gas pedal?

I would take my '74 Super Beetle on a four-hour trip. But I have pretty much restored it, spent a lot of time and money, and feel very confident with its ability to mimic a newer car's reliability. I also have owned a great many Volkswagens in the past, and I've made a great many learning mistakes, which you have not--yet. I've had a recent compression check that makes me feel very comfortable. I've replaced brakes, cables, purchased the best German stock carburetor (Volkzbitz), know exactly how hot my oil gets, ect., etc.

The above "etc's include an extremely long, expensive list of items, by the way.

I guess what I'm getting at is this: maybe you should wait a bit longer for the long trips until you've spent a bit more time, money, effort on your bug.

But if you have AAA, disregard the warning above Wink .

Tim

Richard O'Brien
JCrimson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
It takes a few moments to remove the big flexible tube that attaches your heat exchanger to the Bakelite tube that transfers heated air into your cabin. Take off the one on the side where you have heat leaking into the footwell heater vent. After doing this, you can actually see inside the heat exchanger. Is the little flap closed all the way in there? If not, do as Cusser mentioned and adjust the barrel nut, and end of the cable.

Perhaps the little door is damaged around the edges and is not sealing; although I doubt this. Those little red-edged flaps are pretty sturdy. But look, anyway.

It's not normal for your car to buck as you try to accelerate. Sounds like you may have an issue with your distributor advance; but more likely, an issue with your carburetor's accelerator-pump adjustment. Does it seem as if you have a "flat spot" when pressing down on the gas pedal?

I would take my '74 Super Beetle on a four-hour trip. But I have pretty much restored it, spent a lot of time and money, and feel very confident with its ability to mimic a newer car's reliability. I also have owned a great many Volkswagens in the past, and I've made a great many learning mistakes, which you have not--yet. I've had a recent compression check that makes me feel very comfortable. I've replaced brakes, cables, purchased the best German stock carburetor (Volkzbitz), know exactly how hot my oil gets, ect., etc.

The above "etc's include an extremely long, expensive list of items, by the way.

I guess what I'm getting at is this: maybe you should wait a bit longer for the long trips until you've spent a bit more time, money, effort on your bug.

But if you have AAA, disregard the warning above Wink .

Tim

Per the flap, I jacked the back end up earlier and pulled off the tube. I believe I found the barrel nut. I adjusted the nuts and I believe the problem solved! It's incredibly nice to not have heat seeping onto your feet when you're cruising around. Also my passengers with short legs were beginning to complain. I did notice that the passenger side had a spring pulling the flap closed, but this spring was missing on the drivers side. I assume that is not the way that it is supposed to be?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As for the flat spot, I tried to take some videos while driving the Beetle around testing out the barrel nut adjustment. Not sure if you can hear it, but while exiting first gear, it starts to pull, then just kind of drops, then catches and comes back to life and accelerates. It doesn't always do this, just sometimes. Also, I have trouble finding the correct gear for the car when taking corners when coming to a close stop. Second should be the correct assumption, but sometimes it seems that it doesn't want to pull while slowing down around 10-15mph. Also anything under 35-40 and fourth starts to lug.

[IMG]http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss194/j_colee/1974%20Super%20Beetle/th_95695AB4-379C-4554-BEFF-2C62F2D25788_zpspntdwv0c.mp4[/IMG]

I suppose I'll wait until the date of the event gets a little closer. My brother works for a hotel, and is managing to get us a hotel room so the Beetle won't be driven straight there and then back, but I do have a strong sense of adventure. No AAA, but a decent amount of mechanical knowledge and possibly an uncle with an F350 that could rescue us in a pinch. Haha!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Get back under the car and squirt some spray CRC grease onto all the moving parts of the heat-exchanger linkage. It's a maintenance item that should be done every couple years. And replace that missing spring.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
JCrimson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Get back under the car and squirt some spray CRC grease onto all the moving parts of the heat-exchanger linkage. It's a maintenance item that should be done every couple years. And replace that missing spring.

Tim

The spring is now on the list, i'll probably replace both of them. The one that is there seemed pretty brittle.

I think I may have solved by stumble out of first, when first driving, and my all around stumbling in fourth when cruising through town at 40. After some research on the forum, I found some information leading me to believe that it may be the accelerator pump needing adjusted? I adjusted the screw to allow for more, took it for a spin, and it drove incredibly well. I also lost the 55-65 struggle on the highway.

From what I've been researching, I assume that I've got the 34 PICT-3 Carburetor?
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Yes, you have a 34 pict 3. At least, it looks like one in your pictures. It came stock with that in 1974. The left side of the float bowl should have 34 Pict 3 on it. Made in Western Germany.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
JCrimson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle Reply with quote

I finally delved into the wiper motor to try and work out why it wouldn't work. It turns out, the wiper motor wasn't the issue, but something in the steering column is. The windshield wipers don't work, and neither do the brights. I was going to dig into this, but sadly I'm all out of 27mm sockets, so it'll be on hold until probably Friday.
JCrimson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Lately I've really been enjoying working on the Beetle. Yesterday I managed to cruise the Beetle a little ways out of town to help a friend load some of his stuff into a truck, to move back into town. Today, I managed to get the antenna tightened down, I shortened the aftermarket center console that came with the car, and I waxed the entire vehicle. I still need to hit the chrome, and buff the paint.

I also stumbled upon this door sticker a while back. In 1994 the Beetle had an oil change at 46,669 miles. Today the Beetle has 49,777 miles. Since 1994, 22 years, the Beetle has only driven 3,108 miles. That's like 141 miles a year! Just thought it was cool.

Before and After, same side.

I did also manage to get the windshield wipers working again, no idea how, but while pulling into work I bumped the lever and they turned on... then promptly broke the plastic gear that the metal pole attaches to (that rotates to move the wiper mechanism). This happened due to me setting the wipers lower than they should have been and when engaging the motor, they tried to go much further down under the window, resulting in the break. I've got to pull the gear and the metal rod out, then try and epoxy them to get the motor to rotate without breaking.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Are you talking about the screw gear that engages the plastic wheel inside the wiper motor? If that's broken, I think a new (good used, that is) part is necessary. Samba Classifieds ....

After taking a wiper system apart, it's necessary that the small arm that connects to the wiper assembly is oriented properly. Sometimes this takes a few tries until the blades rest in the proper position.

Also, when testing, don't put the blades on. Instead, put a little bubble gum on the ends of the wiper shafts where the blades would go. Then place a toothpick in the gum, where you think the blade would point. In essence, the toothpicks are mock-up miniature wiper blades. After turning on the wiper motor, watch where the toothpicks point--and end up after shutting off the wiper motor. Reposition them in the gum as needed.

This method saves the scraping paint off your cowl, as well as breaking parts. The toothpicks point where the blades would, but won't damage anything if they're positioned incorrectly.

By the way, I don't use gum. I use a blue, tacky poster-hanging material that looks almost like Play-doh. It's ised for hanging posters in, say a kid's room, etc. I think 3-M makes it. But bubble gum will do in a pinch--and it's cheaper. Just make sure to chew it first so it's very sticky. And be sure to remove it from your wiper shaft when you have your set-up correct.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
JCrimson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Not that exact screw gear, but the metal shaft that the wiper mechanism bracket presses onto. It's placed in the middle of the plastic wheel and then exits towards the cowl slots to connect with the mechanism. Thanks for the tip with the gum, when messing with it after the rod broke loose from its area, I was troubleshooting with the wipers in the up position. It would rotate at that point, but as soon as the wipers hard friction against the glass, the motor would engage the plastic wheel and the plastic wheel would spin independently of spinning the metal rod.
JCrimson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Its been a long time since posting. Still living in Indianapolis, the Beetle handles 70mph just fine on the interstate. I'll post some pictures of what i have been up to lately.

I should probably also mention that the VW bug bit, hard and I picked up a 2015 VW Passat Tsi Wolfsburg

But... what made me think of asking another question on the forum, I finally hooked up my Hella off-road lights, and they work! But while doing so, I noticed a mysterious relay behind the fuse panel plastic, and I noticed my number 2 fuse keeps blowing. Earlier, it was even smoking while i was sitting inside of the Beetle, attempting to turn on the wiper motor which I have removed and re-installed again... does anyone know what could be causing this?

The relay is connected to the ignition, with a white/red wire
JCrimson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Well, my girlfriend and I have signed up to compete in something called the LeMons Rally which takes place in California, and is a race from Monterey, CA to Bremerton, WA, then back down to Monterey, CA.

We're considering driving the Beetle, and I've been contemplating what all I should do to it before the trip, what spares I should carry, and generally if i should be confident in the vehicle making it. I'm half tempted to tow the bug there with a dolly, via my Jeep. But a trip across the country in the Beetle sounds like quite the adventure.

Its not 100% just yet that we will be taking the bug, but its definitely in the cards.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle Reply with quote

A long road trip in a beetle would be a great adventure. Check out Globespotter's video of his road trip from California to Ontario, Canada. They rode a lot of the way on Route 66 and apparently had a nice time doing so.

I would do it, but I've rebuilt so many moving items on my bug that I feel pretty confident. I could make a list, but it would be extremely long. So it would suffice to say that most of what moves is rebuilt, or restored.

So, how adventurous are you? Are you up for a Route 66 throwback tour? Radiator Springs? All that?

It would be cool. But how confident are you with your car? Tires and brakes in great shape? Have you done a compression check to see what condition your motor is in? Transmission shifting well? If so, just do it. Lots of people are nowadays. That's one reason why buses are going up so high in price, I suspect. I've made the trip several times, but that was in the seventies. I'm ready for another go, but the wife isn't interested. Maybe when she retires in two years, she'll loosen up.

Yep, check out your car from top to bottom, then check out some of the road-trip threads on this forum for what to bring if something goes wrong with your bug.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle Reply with quote

JCrimson wrote:
... what made me think of asking another question on the forum, I finally hooked up my Hella off-road lights, and they work! But while doing so, I noticed a mysterious relay behind the fuse panel plastic.. The relay is connected to the ignition, with a white/red wire

I was just browsing around and saw your thread. I don't know really what that relay is for certain, but maybe it's a "hard start relay" that some people install to save wear on the ignition switch. You can find lots of threads on those. Usually they are put under the rear seat.

I'm just chiming in, though, to say I really like your rally lights. Those look cool. Nice addition.

Oh...and what a difference that wax made! Bet that was a lot of work but it was a different car when you were done.

Enjoy your trip!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
JCrimson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Well, it's been a while guys! My girlfriend and I went on our trip to California to compete in the LeMons Rally. We built our 1996 Ford Escort, and 250 miles into the ship, near Springfield, IL, we smashed into a deer going 70. (Luckily we weren't in the Beetle). We ended up missing the rally, but went on vacation and drove around 6,000 miles in my girlfriends 2017 Mazda6. Went to the Winchester Mansion in San Jose, an old Spanish Mission in San Juan Bautista, Grand Canyon, Roswell, the Cadillac Ranch! It was a hell of a trip.

But i'm posting here because I finally got the Beetle back. My brother has been driving it daily for the last couple of months due to my mothers car being broken, and her driving his Jeep. I've also moved and it is now in our driveway waiting for the garage to be cleaned to be tucked in for some work on the brakes and the seats!

I also picked up some 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Seats to swap in. I'm a taller, bigger guy, and I'll be keeping the Beetle and driving it as much as possible and I've wanted to swap in some more adjustable, cloth seats, for longer trips.

Anyways, hello again!

and a photo of us, after the accident, in the Mazda restarting the trip.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle Reply with quote

That brake line going into the body needs a grommet there in the hole. Otherwise any road debris and water when driving wet roads will get into there causing rust.

The rust bubbles below the rear side windows is probably "Death Foam" caused. Do a search for that and the sooner fixed the less time it will take to repair.

Have you checked the transaxle gear oil level or better yet changed it? That could be causing your reverse problem and of course be ruining the transaxle prematurely if not kept full enough.
JCrimson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Well, I still own the Beetle and it's doing well!

In the past year or so I've repaired some stuff on it, including a new mechanical fuel pump and new brake shoes and lines. The brakes still aren'y 100% but they'll do for now.

I've also swapped steering wheels with a grant wheel and i bought a Wolfsburg shift knob at the Indianapolis Volkstoberfest.

Currently I'm working on installing aftermarket seats, which is why i thought i should come back to the forum and check in.

Does anyone have a line on a build thread involving the 3 point seat installs?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: