Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 Bug Ignition Problem?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
newbie68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: 1968 Bug Ignition Problem? Reply with quote

Hello folks, I always get outstanding help from this group so I'm reaching out once again for your expertise.

My '68 Bug started doing this today:

https://youtu.be/zL445X2Nl3M

It's taking a few tries for the ignition to catch, and only after I hold down the key hard all the way to the right (to its stop). Any idea if this is strictly an ignition problem? Maybe needs to be replaced for better contact?

Appreciate your feedback.

Jerry A.
Oceanside, CA
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Bug Ignition Problem? Reply with quote

Sounds like you need a new electrical portion of the ignition switch. JBugs sells some okay quality ones, they're a little bit of a pain to swap out but it's an afternoon project.

See here in the wiring diagram where there's a red/black wire leaving the turn signal switch? Unplug that and see if you get 12v there when you turn the switch
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Bug Ignition Problem? Reply with quote

To replace the switch is simple as on my 68 has been done a couple of times or three. What you could do to isolate the problem is to add two switches, one on off for ignition and one push on spring loaded for the starter. This way you know you have good electrical connections.
One of my switches just needed to be snugged up after I had it removed. The little divits needed to be redivited to hold the switch together. My best explanation.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Bug Ignition Problem? Reply with quote

It is likely your ignition switch (electrical) but you should check a few things just to be sure:
    Battery voltage (measured at the battery posts) should be 12.6v at rest (everything OFF) and should not drop below 10.0v while the engine is cranking. If possible get your battery load tested at your FLAPS to confirm how healthy it is.

Voltage at the #50 starter solenoid wire. This is the red wire below the left rear seat that exits at the rear of the pan next to the center tunnel. There is a junction just before the wire exits. Disconnect the wires at this junction and test the voltage on the wire coming from the left side of the car. If there is 12v here every time you turn the key to START then the ignition switch is fine. If the voltage is low or intermittent, then your switch or wiring are suspect.

If you end up replacing your ignition switch electrical... IMHO, I'd recommend you add a hard start relay (HSR) below your rear seat. It does the function of adding a dedicated STARTER switch/button, but leaves the function in the ignition switch (no extra button). The HSR reduces the current passing thru the ignition switch and prevents it from wearing out prematurely. It also increases the voltage/current that reaches the starter solenoid on the #50 wire making for better engine cranking.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Bug Ignition Problem? Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
It is likely your ignition switch

I wonder if having 20 keys on your key ring has anything to do with it....

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
zoobyshoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Bug Ignition Problem? Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:

If you end up replacing your ignition switch electrical... IMHO, I'd recommend you add a hard start relay (HSR) below your rear seat. It does the function of adding a dedicated STARTER switch/button, but leaves the function in the ignition switch (no extra button). The HSR reduces the current passing thru the ignition switch and prevents it from wearing out prematurely. It also increases the voltage/current that reaches the starter solenoid on the #50 wire making for better engine cranking.

The thing is, current through the ignition switch isn't really the problem. The metal contacts inside the switch aren't getting burned or anything. The problem is simply that the metal tab that goes from the lock cylinder into the plastic switch wears the plastic away. The slot for the tab gets looser and looser over time until you reach a point where you just can't turn the switch far enough to close the contacts inside the switch.

Go here:
https://europortparts.com/sku/111905865K/37413?gcl...ArRH8P8HAQ
and there is a view of the end of the switch the metal tab goes into. That slot gets all reamed out of shape after a few years or decades, and you just can't turn the switch far enough anymore.
Douglas A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Bug Ignition Problem? Reply with quote

Replace ignition switch, super easy, I had to take mine out to replace top part
steering column. Maybe 10 minutes at most. Most likely its been done before.
Most people cut the wires, if they are spliced its been replaced before.
It easy as well to unplug. Also are you getting anything clicking in the back,
sometimes if you are getting clicking, could be starter solenoid? However what I can see looks like ignition, check all connections to the ignition as well.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Bug Ignition Problem? Reply with quote

zoobyshoe put the wrong switch for a 1968 model. It looks like this one
https://europortparts.com/311905865a-kmm-ignition-...ransporter

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
zoobyshoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Bug Ignition Problem? Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:

That '68 switch has the same plastic to metal tab interface, though, right? I can't completely make it out from the pic.
zoobyshoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Bug Ignition Problem? Reply with quote

zoobyshoe wrote:
gt1953 wrote:

That '68 switch has the same plastic to metal tab interface, though, right? I can't completely make it out from the pic.

OK, I found a good pic of the '68 switch and the part with the slot for the tab is obviously metal, not plastic. A softer metal could get reamed out over time just like plastic, but I think it would take a lot longer. The only way to tell if this is the problem would be to take the switch out and see if there's slop where the tab from the lock cylinder goes into the switch.

The '68 switch is much more expensive than the late model switches, which is a surprise to me. Makes it less desirable to just throw a new one in to see if it's the problem.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Bug Ignition Problem? Reply with quote

The other common problem is the plastic switch case will crack and flex.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The above appears to be a '71 switch. Yes, the '68-'70 Beetle switch came from VW with a metal case, but I can imagine aftermarket makers using a plastic replacement.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: