Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do I make fuel injected 1600 bug fast
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicL27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: How do I make fuel injected 1600 bug fast Reply with quote

Okay, so I have my second bug a 75' it's fuel injected. I'm not really sure of the "easy" add ons to make more power out of it?

Would it be easy to turbo on stock internals?
What would be needed to turbo the fuel injected bug? I only ever see a set up for a draw through turbo. Which requires it be carbeurated...

I know the ecu in it is non tube able so I will for sure need a stand alone ecu.

But I'm lookin to make it a fast little bug. Not crazy fast. But fast enough to have a little fun with people. (Sleeper bug) LOL
nickfancher1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: How do I make fuel injected 1600 bug fast Reply with quote

If you want fast, sell it and buy something else lol.
adam78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: How do I make fuel injected 1600 bug fast Reply with quote

nickfancher1 wrote:
If you want fast, sell it and buy something else lol.

Haha, it would be cheaper. These things can get quick, but fast is all about money. What's your budget? I'm assuming you want to stay aircooled?
nicL27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: How do I make fuel injected 1600 bug fast Reply with quote

My first bug was a 69' with a 2332 dual webbers and a freeway flyer trans. That thing was pretty quick.

I do want to stay aircooled yes.
And as for my budget... I will gather my parts over time. I'm just trying to get ideas here. Affordable ideas that don't include selling it!
I've been all over looking for people who have an fi bug who made it faster than stock.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=271444

This guys set up is draw thru. Can I do similar with fi
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: How do I make fuel injected 1600 bug fast Reply with quote

a fat wallet on a crash diet would be the first thing. and when your done the diet will be a sucess and your wallet will be thin.what your car will be is up to how you thin out your wallet. turbo, new motor, new trans or many other ways. good luck and get to it!!!
nicL27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: How do I make fuel injected 1600 bug fast Reply with quote

Thanks!!
But I want to know the best way for a non tune able fi bug
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I make fuel injected 1600 bug fast Reply with quote

Hi and WELCOME.
Drive over to Joel Mohr's shop in Hesperia, I believe. He is an veteran in the air-cooled industry, local, samba member, and believe he is working with turbos now.
Another guy from the area is Robert Hemphill who has a very fast late bug utilizing the oem Mexican fuel injection system, but highly modified. He is a privateer and haven't heard from him in awhile.
Hope that helps, Bill.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I make fuel injected 1600 bug fast Reply with quote

nicL27 wrote:
Thanks!!
But I want to know the best way for a non tune able fi bug

The stock F.I. system will have to go. The displacement will have to go WAY up, and new induction and exhaust systems will have to greatly improve breathing.

I like the Bug L-Jetronic F.I., but it isn't built for hot rodding. The stock injectors are 18 lb. (as near as I have been able to determine) which is good for about 110 horsepower peak. The air box imposes another limit, almost certainly before that point it would be wide open and unable to measure additional air flow.
nicL27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I make fuel injected 1600 bug fast Reply with quote

Unfortunately I have moved to Washington state. Otherwise I'd be right there to speak with Joel about what we can do with my bug to make it fast-ER I don't need a monstrous little bug just something to make it more uppy and fun. Something that will stay over 60mph going up hills on the freeway.
May have to take a trip back down to Hesperia and go to Mohr performance
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I make fuel injected 1600 bug fast Reply with quote

subaru conversion?
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I make fuel injected 1600 bug fast Reply with quote

nicL27 wrote:
Unfortunately I have moved to Washington state. Otherwise I'd be right there to speak with Joel about what we can do with my bug to make it fast-ER I don't need a monstrous little bug just something to make it more uppy and fun. Something that will stay over 60mph going up hills on the freeway.

Where in Washington? I might be able to recommend someone...
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: How do I make fuel injected 1600 bug fast Reply with quote

If it were me, I would just build or buy a well built "bolt in bigger engine" (about 2000ccs and with some nice dual carbs) and just bolt it in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: How do I make fuel injected 1600 bug fast Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
If it were me, I would just build or buy a well built "bolt in bigger engine" (about 2000ccs and with some nice dual carbs) and just bolt it in.
bingo!!!!but add another 332 cc's to the 2000.
atticus finch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: How do I make fuel injected 1600 bug fast Reply with quote

1. cheap

2. fast

3. reliable.

Those are your options, pick any two...
adam78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: How do I make fuel injected 1600 bug fast Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:

With stock FI, I would go this route. The FI is great for reliable daily drivers. But dont offer much in the way of tuning for speed.
nicL27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: How do I make fuel injected 1600 bug fast Reply with quote

Bob Brugge wrote:
nicL27 wrote:

Where in Washington? I might be able to recommend someone...

I live in PUYALLUP WA but am willing to travel a little bit..
nicL27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: How do I make fuel injected 1600 bug fast Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
Randy in Maine wrote:
bingo!!!!but add another 332 cc's to the 2000.

That's funny because my first bug was 2332cc
Any idea where to buy an already built motor for decent price?
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I make fuel injected 1600 bug fast Reply with quote

Nitrous?

Dan
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: How do I make fuel injected 1600 bug fast Reply with quote

Hi. Look up Nate M. He runs a shop in Anacortes Wa and is highly respected here. He services OEM stuff and is a hot rodder at heart.
Bill.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: How do I make fuel injected 1600 bug fast Reply with quote

Adrian at Headflow Masters in Vista here in sunny California. He can build you a turnkey turbo.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: