Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 429, 430, 431 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Nice. That and the fuel/temp would be the only gauges I can see…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Nice. That and the fuel/temp would be the only gauges I can see…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
seafinch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Added my Thule roof-bars, roof box and awning. Waiting on some new springs/shocks to get a little lift.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Got my new rear hatch panel from Werksberg, installed it this evening. Mulling my options on trimming it out, vinyl or paint. Nicely made, wish the material came in a close enough shade (tan or light gray, depending) instead of black.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

New rr wheel cylinder installed. Caught me by surprise but at least it drained when it was parked. I noticed the flex lines had a web of surface cracks... I really don't think "if it aint broke don't fix it" applies here. Plus i already have ss flex lines.
jokeraus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Added fire extinguisher brackets and installed a blazecut last week. Did the cutting board mod last night to compensate for sag+the additional batteries.

jokeraus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finished up during lunch a panel to cover the espar d2 heater

Non sag stance, couldn't have been easier. Not said often Confused

MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

jokeraus wrote:
Finished up during lunch a panel to cover the espar d2 heater

Non sag stance, couldn't have been easier. Not said often Confused

MMMM, Sexy. It's nice having a press break right? That Van needs some Monstaliner STAT. Twisted Evil
Epic Road Tripping since 08/05/12 | http://VagariesAbound.blogspot.com/
My Current Build | http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41215
jokeraus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Indeed it is, and plenty of scrap material due to them not wanting to invest in nesting software. Fine by me!

Exterior paint is very far down on my list lol. I do like the bloody mary color though
johnnay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finally started rigging up my on demand water heater. Anyone think having the showerhead right by the unit will be an issue?

[/img]
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Are you planning to shorten those bolts and put Vacuum plugs on them or some other sort of protector. Those are an ankle grabber if I ever saw one.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finished up R&R on all the rubber front suspension bushing with Powerflex urethane ones from T3.
Sandblasted the control arms and repainted them using Hammerite "RustCap"
So now I was able to put the New Nokia's and alloy rims on the front because I did not want to run the new tires on the worn suspension...

Woke up to a flat passenger front from a screw piercing the tire!
%$#$)*(& !!!

Less than a hundred miles on the tire...sigh.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I replaced my OG alternator harness with the kit Jay Brown sells.

Just look at it: so neat and put together so well:

Here's what it looks like after install. I had to splice in a few inches of 8AWG that goes to the fuel system as the terminal broke off and there wasn't enough slack to crimp a new one on there. That would be the yellow butt connector on top of the alternator. The terminal ends were so crispy, I recommend taking a look at yours, especially if you have had any work done that would have stressed the connections (my rig has been through several alternators, which is partly why all the cleaning up).

Jay's instructions and pre-assembly are great. He lists all the tools you will need so if you do a better job of reading through than I did, you will save some time. But all told, it's something you could do in a hour or so.

This is the OG one.

Pretty grotty. But it's 30 years old, near enough.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
I had to splice in a few inches of 8AWG that goes to the fuel system ... That would be the yellow butt connector on top of the alternator. ..

What a great opportunity to replace that splice with a new full-length cable, or at least
upgrade to a weatherproof connector, lest you have the same problem again soon... Wink

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-GA-HEAT-SHRINK-BUTT-WIRE...xyrYFR0trh

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Oy, don't make work for me…I can do that on my own. If I knew where that went, I might replace the whole thing, but I didn't track it down. I like a project with clearly defined boundaries…I did consider wrapping it in heat shrink so I may redo it with that to ease my mind.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

^^^ Re: heatshrink...that'll help! Wink

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replaced this:

The only gnarly-looking bit on this CA/CO van. Took it out as a "preventive" item (wasn't leaking), tapped it with a screwdriver and voila, the hole you see. Coulda been a trip-ender for sure. Also power steering flush/filter, fuel filter. My wife says "no more Spud projects for a while".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iheartstrangers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Hope this is an okay place to post this question...

I am brand new at this Vanagon stuff. So my accomplishments aren't too extreme, but today I changed my headlight, my marker light, and my fuel filter. I also learned how to use the Vanagon jack.

In replacing my marker light bulb, though, I only got the light to come on for a moment. Then, suddenly, that light went out and I learned that the brake lights went, too.

I've been searching through the repair manual and on here to figure out which fuse is which, but I am not having much luck.

Can someone offer some assistance?

Thank you in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I write on ALL of our vanagon jacks "MUST SET BRAKE" in silver sharpie.

as for your lights, check the rear grounds in the engine compartment on each side.. they get iffy with age.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VanagonPDX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I went to bleed my coolant, only to realize I didn't have a great grasp on what the steps were- as they differ depending on who you ask Sad Ultimately, I think she is ship shape and ready for her first long trip - Bend to Seattle. Sure, only 5 hours, but in vantime, expecting 6-7.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 429, 430, 431 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Page 430 of 630

Jump to: