Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

mounting CB antenna on a '79 SB
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CTBUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: mounting CB antenna on a '79 SB Reply with quote

Want to add a vintage CB to my '79 SB. My last Beetle to have a CB in was my '74 SB Sedan. Used a roof gutter mounted antenna. Well my '79 is a Conv. so gutter mounting is out of the question. Probably best place would be off the rear bumper. That location being so close to the engine, I think I vaguely remember engine static being a factor. Any suggestions?
thanks
jgcooney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: mounting CB antenna on a '79 SB Reply with quote

I am a ham radio operator and have a '74 sedan with a VHF 2 meter transceiver. The antenna is mounted on the right side of the front hood at the top (near cowl). The mount lets me run the coax through the weather strip on the hood. My antenna is 1/4 wave on 2 meter band which is about 19". A 1/4 wave CB antenna is about 102". There are much shorter CB antennas available which could be mounted on the front. You are correct about the interference problem that you might have mounting the antenna on the rear, especially since CB is AM and not FM that I operate.
DeathTrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: mounting CB antenna on a '79 SB Reply with quote

A magna mount on the cowl in front center of the windshield right behind the hood.
CTBUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: mounting CB antenna on a '79 SB Reply with quote

jgcooney wrote:
I am a ham radio operator and have a '74 sedan with a VHF 2 meter transceiver. The antenna is mounted on the right side of the front hood at the top (near cowl). The mount lets me run the coax through the weather strip on the hood. My antenna is 1/4 wave on 2 meter band which is about 19". A 1/4 wave CB antenna is about 102". There are much shorter CB antennas available which could be mounted on the front. You are correct about the interference problem that you might have mounting the antenna on the rear, especially since CB is AM and not FM that I operate.

Thank you for confirming the interference problem. I have seen a bug around here with a full 102" antenna mounted on the back bumper and always have wondered if the owner had interference problems or the antenna was just there for looks.
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: mounting CB antenna on a '79 SB Reply with quote

Way, way , way back in the day...

80s, I'm thinking.

I used to see Beetles with CB antennas tied up in whip fashion, making an arc at the side of the beetle.

I remember being a kid, and thinking it looked pretty cool and reminded me of those bumper cars at carnivals.

Sorry I didn't pay too much attention to it back then, but I was just a kid.
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: