Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

oil filter adapter suggestions
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SOLiiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: oil filter adapter suggestions Reply with quote

Im looking for something that adapts to a spin on filter and that is cheap, as in affordable. Not cheap in quality.
I see so many on all the sites that I dont know what to make heads or tails of! Thanks guys.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: oil filter adapter suggestions Reply with quote

CB Filter pump cover. This is the easy way to go.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1945284

If you have the motor apart, you can full flow the case and use a remote adapter.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: oil filter adapter suggestions Reply with quote

that is cheap, as in affordable. Not cheap in quality. Shocked now thats a funny statement. I dont know what you want.a filter pump? a oil pump that has a in&out? a oil filter addaptor that hoses go to&from and the oil screws on to it? a full flow kit? so the best i can say is stay away from latest rage &cip.1 Wink look on the cb performance site,ac.net site and pick what your pocket can afford and what will work for you.
SOLiiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: oil filter adapter suggestions Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
that is cheap, as in affordable. Not cheap in quality. Shocked now thats a funny statement. I dont know what you want.a filter pump? a oil pump that has a in&out? a oil filter addaptor that hoses go to&from and the oil screws on to it? a full flow kit? so the best i can say is stay away from latest rage &cip.1 Wink look on the cb performance site,ac.net site and pick what your pocket can afford and what will work for you.

This is what all confuses me. I've had the car less than a week so I'm not familiar at all other than the basic concept of a air cooled engine. I want to make changing the oil and filter to be somewhat easier than hunting down a piece of filter paper. I'll save that for when the world ends and I have plenty of old shirts.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: oil filter adapter suggestions Reply with quote

From the factory the Beetle didn't have an oil filter, just a screen in the sump. A filter can be added and there are a few different ways to do it.

I have no idea what you mean by "filter paper."

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
SOLiiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: oil filter adapter suggestions Reply with quote

Thats just what Ive heard on the oil change videos, that theres a paper in there with the mesh screen. It makes sense after changing deep fryer oil in kitchens.

Like these http://www.webstaurantstore.com/royal-paper-fe1422...21106.html

Last edited by SOLiiD on Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: oil filter adapter suggestions Reply with quote

I've used CB Performance Maxi2 oil filter/pump for 3.5 decades now.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: oil filter adapter suggestions Reply with quote

Also CB Max pump here as well, works quite well.
SOLiiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: oil filter adapter suggestions Reply with quote

So how do I know if I have a 3 bolt or 4 bolt cam, flat or dished? How do I know what filter it uses?
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: oil filter adapter suggestions Reply with quote

How much do you know about the motor? If not enough, then you take the oil pump off and see what cam you have. You use whichever filter fits. PH16 is the Fram number I have on mine.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: oil filter adapter suggestions Reply with quote

SOLiiD wrote:
Thats just what Ive heard on the oil change videos, that theres a paper in there with the mesh screen.

They are probably just referring to the gaskets, takes two, one between engine case and strainer, the other between strainer and cover.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Oil-Strainer-Gasket-Kit-German-40hp-1600cc-p/113-198-031.htm
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: oil filter adapter suggestions Reply with quote

might want to get some books, and do some research.both ac.net&cb performance have some good reading.
SOLiiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: oil filter adapter suggestions Reply with quote

What are some recommended books? I have the Bentley on order.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: oil filter adapter suggestions Reply with quote

Think you mean INEXPENSIVE. Cheap is like hiring a $20.00 hooker that later you have to spend hundreds to cure the STD.

CB oil filter pump is really good, but does not fit with some of the stock mufflers. That can be dealt with by cutting, angling down slightly and rewelded back together the neck and run a drill back thru.

TRUE VW of Germany never installed a stock oil filter on the upright engine used in type 1 & 2s, but VW of Mexico did and it should clear any stock muffler without modification.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VW of Germany made the type 4 engine from the get go with a stock filter, and in the 72-79 bus those engines easily lasted 200,000 to 300,000 miles easily if not floored and ignored and if maintained properly. Not saying that the oil filter alone made that difference, but that it sure helps.

Personally running a 1641 cc engine with CW crank and oil filter pump in our 1960 walk thru panel camper with now over 140,000 miles on it since last rebuilt. Engine still runs like new...

Bentley is the best repair manual if you can not have any other. The Idiot's Manual by John Muir is a very good companion manual to go with the Bentley.

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SOLiiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: oil filter adapter suggestions Reply with quote

Well now Im on the fence for which one I want to go with, CB or TAC. I plan on build a MPG motor according to ACN topic and it says exhaust needs to change to a header.
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: oil filter adapter suggestions Reply with quote

I used stock muffler with preheat on right side. Fits fine, came from aircooled.net
113-251-053AJ
SOLiiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: oil filter adapter suggestions Reply with quote

What is the pre-heat, a prius on fire? Reading the ACN mpg motor build sheet again, It seems to be some sort of emissions deal? Im not staying in my no-emissions state for much longer so thats something Id have to consider. South Texas will more than likely be the next home, and they test.

Here, have your beetle pee in this cup. We have the pecker checker on stand by Shocked
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: oil filter adapter suggestions Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

TRUE VW of Germany never installed a stock oil filter on the upright engine used in type 1 & 2s, but VW of Mexico did and it should clear any stock muffler without modification.

Here is on an engine

ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: oil filter adapter suggestions Reply with quote

SOLiiD wrote:
What is the pre-heat, a prius on fire? Reading the ACN mpg motor build sheet again, It seems to be some sort of emissions deal? Im not staying in my no-emissions state for much longer so thats something Id have to consider. South Texas will more than likely be the next home, and they test.

Pre-heat is is manifold heating for center mount carb.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: oil filter adapter suggestions Reply with quote

Here's another look at the oil filter unit posted by Eric&Barb, this photo shows some different angles:

1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: