Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Things your van did recently
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Just like this:
Waldi wrote:

Link

(Use the "YouTube" button on your link before you SUBMIT your post...)

Looks like fun! Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Took me and the fam up to Broomfield to boil crawfish for a block party. Then, after the fam caught a ride to Denver, I made the good decision to sleep in the Vanagon in front of the host's house. Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Took me and the fam up to Broomfield to boil crawfish for a block party. Then, after the fam caught a ride to Denver, I made the good decision to sleep in the Vanagon in front of the host's house. Very Happy

well played, good sir. I like your style.
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Our oldest daughter was in town for the day, so we wandered slowly up Boulder Canyon, stopping now and then to play in the creek.

Along the way, she pointed out all the technical climbing routes she used to do in the canyon and the Tyrolean traverses they would use to cross the creek during runoff.

The creek was running pretty high, so Tunes was on leash and in her escape-proof dog harness the entire time.

We ended up in Nederland, the little hippy mountain town at the very top of the canyon and enjoyed a nice lunch from the Wild Mountain Smokehouse and Brewery.

It was a beautiful day and the Syncro got a lot of attention, lots of folks asking about it or looking inside to see how everything worked and some trying to convince their wives that they need to get one.

Last edited by sanchius on Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:33 am; edited 1 time in total
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

We just knew it was going to be a beautiful sunset tonight.

So we ordered up a couple pizzas, threw some drinks in the cooler and headed out to an overlook to enjoy it.

sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

I love June. Another beautiful sunset was successfully enjoyed this evening...

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

After a long time with transmission on floor, Flossie got me to work, early! Here is a shot of her outside my office bud's window, I get to gloat (then move her, before security gives me a ticket) !!!

sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

We had a grad student visitor in town from Denmark and it was just too hot to stay on the plains.

So we picked him and his bike up from CU, grabbed some cherries, french bread, and stinky cheese from the farmers market and headed back up Boulder Canyon to Ned.

We stopped along the creek to wade in the ice-cold water and had lunch near some of the good walls to watch the climbers.

Once up at Ned, we took him on a couple spins on the wonderful Carousel of Happiness

Then we walked around town soaking up the high mountain air and checked out Bucyrus, the massive Panama Canal steam shovel at the Ned mining museum.

seafinch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

My van got purchased (by me) recently. Excited to get her out on some adventures soon...

[/img]
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

My 16YO asked for lessons on driving stick. Flossie obliged. Last time, the clutch blew into chunks (not her fault) .. Much better this time!

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

^^^ Good girl! ...and a great DAD! Cool

- Dave

PS: My 16yo was once involved with a fragged clutch (tried starting in 3rd gear...for about 5 minutes...) Rolling Eyes Wink

On the plus side, it gave me the motivation to do an complete clutch job and in the process I learned a lot
and also checked off about 15 other things I shouldn't have to worry about for another 15 years... Laughing

seafinch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Took our new (to us) Vanagon to Telluride last week. Might have been a little bit foolish to adventure 7 hours away from home on her first trip, but she did great! Really excited to do a lot more of this....

sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

A busy blistering hot weekend of fire and water. Saturday was water.
We scored a coveted shaded parking spot by the Boulder Creek to visit the art in the park event...

...where a crack team of young ladies at the tutu-making booth decked Tuna out in the latest French fashion before we went wading in the creek to cool off. Tunes was far more interested in the Mallard ducks paddling around than the tubers going by.

Then we found some shade in a nearby park to spread out the picnic blankets...

Sunday was fire. We went up to the Forest Service Jeffco airtanker base to watch them cycling the slurry bombers working the Cold Springs fire. The fire is so close we can almost watch them through their entire flight. That's one of the two jet assisted Neptune P2Vs on site getting ready to go out, with one of the new BAe-146s coming in and downtown Denver buildings in the far background

This is a vanagon forum, so we need a pic of the van with the P2V taking off and one of the two BAe-146s filling up.

Here's the Neptune T-06 in action (photo from Neptuneaviation site)

BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Drove our '87 Westfalia Camper GL from St. Louis over to Indianapolis to camp in a friends yard and attend the PBS "Antiques Roadshow" taping in Indy on Saturday. Great fun, had a few vintage items appraised during the taping. Then on Sunday we visited the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Museum...

...and then continued on westward to Springfield, Illinois to check out all the Lincoln sites. This morning we toured the Lincoln Presidential Museum and library and then motored the Westy safely back home to our Missouri driveway. Great trip, the Westy ran beautifully, and we had another great set of memories in her.

Bill & Kathryn Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by BulliBill on Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:24 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cris torlasco Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Helped out with yard work transporting 4 full size-and heavy-railroad ties.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JustsomeKentuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

My Van hasn't done anything but wait for me. She's sitting in Oregon waiting for a shipper to pick her up. Sad (first westfalia! Very Happy )
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

My van recently hauled her own engine off to a new buyer ...

How did she get there? With her new, larger 1.9L diesel engine, of course!

The Craigslist buyer met me at the appointed place in a battered purple Vanagon. When I arrived, I parked with the two sliding doors facing one another and we just slid the engine from one Vanagon into the other.

To be honest, there was something rather poignant and ironic about the Vanagon carrying the very engine which had carried her so many miles, for so many years. I'm glad she has a new ticker, but it wasn't easy seeing her original 'heart' going off to a new home ...

Happy travels, wherever you are!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
camperseth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

well, after driving my 83 westy for a few weeks consistently no problems, (except for the fuel prefilter having to have the occasional blow). i backed it into her parking spot and two days later go to drive it annd... no brakes!
the clutch still shifts great but no brakes. i pulled the guage cluster and it was... bone dry. i traced all the brake lines and they are all in exceptional condition for an 83 and all of them... bone dry, i checked the wheels and drums and all...bone dry.
i put in some brake fluid and pumped the brakes to see if i could see anything but still nothing...

what the hell man??

im gonna get a buddy to help bleed the brakes and see if i can figure something out but if anyone has any tips or tricks or insight on the issue please message me. im at a loss.

but yeah, thats what my van did today lol.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Hauled 170 rented chairs for my daughter's wedding...

=^)

- Dave

sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Stopped at my favorite Boulder Country trailhead to finish my coffee with the slider open, read my morning work email and take in the view before heading the rest of the way into work

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Page 49 of 89

Jump to: