Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

freeway flyer question
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
targetinspect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the motor... A 4.12 R & P and an 84 bus 4th gear works great!
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some testing I did before I put in a new trans.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=421952
SlimJimVinny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I went and picked up a 3.88 FF from the nice folks at bugformance the other day. (Don't tell them I called them nice).
It's currently sitting on that most universal of VW engine stands (a greasy milk crate, origins unknown).
I'm sourcing a new axle tube, and should have it all put back together in a few weeks, depending on external variables (work and girls).
When she's all put back together, I'll shout out my oh-so-scientific gauge-free test results.
Note:
Test results guaranteed uncontaminated by actual measurements.
Of anything.

Marilynn 1962 Type I
Evelyn 1971 Type I
roanokejim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: freeway flyer question Reply with quote

SlimJimVinny wrote:
So, i got the tranny out of Marilynn (62). 2 questions:
1) I have to take the axles off to turn the tranny in for a core charge. Anyone know a good way to get the wheel bearing off? I know it's a bitch, but any ideers are appreciated.
2) Anyone have an idea how much a taller R&P will actually impact driving? I have a 1641, 110 cam, kadrons, merged header etc, so I know I have enough power. I mean, about how much can I expect to drop freeway rpms at, say, 70mph with stock rear tires? Anyone with a tach who could answer would be great, but I'll take whatcha got Wink
Thanks

I also thinking and looking for the answer for that drop freeway rpms. I hope it is not that much. Very Happy
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I am reading all of the Posts and got confused(help). I have stock 1600 cc SP(replacemnt engine) with a stock Swing Axle 64 Tranny. Runs fine but on the highway it is way to high an RPM for my likes. Most highways around here run 65-75 MPH. In town it is fine but...

If I read this post right I need a 4.12 Swing axle for my 64 Vert. To make it easier on milage/RPMs and still functional in town? I spoke to RANCHO (very helpful) and they recommended a 3.88 and have it machined out to 12v for the fly wheel. Any comments?? I am not looking for extreme power just the ability to cruze at speed and get up hills in 4th.

Is there such a thing as a 5th gear Freeway Flyer?? Be nice. Wink

1964 Convertible Bug - 1600cc SP engine with a stock H30/31 Carb and SVDA Distributor - Swing Arm Highway Flyer Tranny, Gene Berg's Temperature Dipstick, 2.5" drop spindles, 2" narrowed adjustable front end. Chromed OEM fan tower.
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your running a 1600sp definetely stick with the 4.12. The single port will HATE the 3.88. IT will be a dog up hills, and will run hot. The 4.12 will be plenty for that motor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: freeway flyer question Reply with quote

If your rear tires are stock height, a 4.12 R&P with stock 67-8 1st through 4th gear stack. If you have a short rear tire under 23 1/2 the 3.88 would be ok with the same gear stack.
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
rkhoward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went through replacing my tranny with a freeway flyer from Rancho - very nice guys and it's a heck of a tranny (from what I could see). Haven't driven it yet because of a snowball of other problems. Just replied to my post about the starter a few minutes ago.

Getting the wheel bearings off the old tranny was a b&*t%h. I ended using the dull end of a pick axe against the sleeve where the shock mount was. Getting both axle sleeves off took the better part of 6 hours - not a fun day.

After doing research I discovered that there's an inside bearing puller. Bugformance may know where to get one - it was too late for me so I didn't do the research. If you get a regular bearing puller it most likely won't work because it isn't long enough to reach the bearing itself because of the VW axles. Muscle and time will do what you need it to do.

As for the snap rings - my rancho tranny came with double snap rings unlike the stock tranny (which had 1).

Harbor Freight has beefed up snap ring pliers that will lock as you squeeze. The only problem I encounters with those is that the lock would keep them from getting the snap ring closed enough to get it out. I bend the side arm of the lock a little and was able to successfully get the snap rings out. The first side took me about 25 mins for both rings - the second side about 10. The snap ring plier set I got had 2 pliers - one for expanding out - the other for squeezing together - it also comes with different angles that can be swapped out with a philips. Cost was $12 or so - friken great investment. I relate getting the snap rings out and in as to playing a mans game of operation. Another help I had was a small flat head screw driver (very thin) that I bent in the shape of a U about 1/2 - great for assisting in getting the snap rings out (didn't help so much for getting them in).

Hope these tidbits give you a little help. I have a 65 and I'm looking forward to trying out the new tranny - I lost 4th gear and reverse about a month ago - I'm just excited to get over 50 mph without wondering if I'm gonna blow a gasket on my engine. Now if the damn thing will just start. If you have any thoughts on why it won't start please respond to my post on Starter makes grinding noise - won't turn over - HELP - look at my last post for all the info.
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teeroy,
Roger I have stock Tires. Educate me. What exactly does R&P stand for and what does it mean. I get the jist but not details.

So If I read this right for my 1600cc SP, I need to ask RANCHO for:
- R&P?
- Stock 67-8, 1st-4th Gear Stack????

rkhoward,
I have installed and replaced trannies before but the gears are messing with my head. I am trying to learn the ratios and such for a fuel efficient, low RPM, Highway driveable ride while still getting good power. Thanks for the heads up on the double clips. Never seen that before but I am use to stock Trannies.

I responded to your "starter makes grinding noise post". Seen your issues alot on mine and others bugs.

1964 Convertible Bug - 1600cc SP engine with a stock H30/31 Carb and SVDA Distributor - Swing Arm Highway Flyer Tranny, Gene Berg's Temperature Dipstick, 2.5" drop spindles, 2" narrowed adjustable front end. Chromed OEM fan tower.
SlimJimVinny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: freeway flyer question Reply with quote

Hey everyone,
I'm back! Well it's been a little over 5 years now, and my 1641 (dual Kads, Engle 110, merged header, hi-rev springs and racing lifters) with my 3.88 R&P are doing quite well.

I actually stumbled across my own Samba thread (the one you're reading now) while searching for something else, so I thought I'd check in.

Most people on this thread said this engine/tranny combo would bog, or run hot, or be underpowered, or be difficult to pass on the freeway etc etc. But I'm here to tell you it's all bunk. This motor/tranny runs so well that I haven't changed a thing in 5 years. I've driven from Sacramento to Tahoe (quite a few hills), to the bay area and all over town in all weather conditions (except snow.) My oil temps run around 180-200F in normal weather and get up to 220F on the hottest of days after running 75 on the freeway for extended periods. The car has plenty of pep, will jump from 60-75 in fourth gear plenty quick, I can run 2nd gear up to 50mph if I feel like stepping on it and overall I'm extremely happy with this combo. I'm certainly looking forward to building a bigger motor soon (because bigger is always better) but if I got stuck with this combo forever I would still be more than happy.

I think this motor/tranny combo is perfect for city and freeway driving and I bet most people who had it would be pretty happy. If you're on the fence about this, well I've had it the last 5 years and I think it's just peachy.

Happy dubbin y'all!

Marilynn 1962 Type I
Evelyn 1971 Type I
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: freeway flyer question Reply with quote

Just wondering what 4th gear your trans has, .82, .89, .93? CHT gauge?
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: freeway flyer question Reply with quote

SlimJimVinny wrote:
I think this motor/tranny combo is perfect for city and freeway driving and I bet most people who had it would be pretty happy.

Compared to what? You haven't tried a 4.12 yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: freeway flyer question Reply with quote

SlimJimVinny wrote:
Hey everyone,
I'm back! Well it's been a little over 5 years now, and my 1641 (dual Kads, Engle 110, merged header, hi-rev springs and racing lifters) with my 3.88 R&P are doing quite well.
[snip]
I think this motor/tranny combo is perfect for city and freeway driving and I bet most people who had it would be pretty happy. If you're on the fence about this, well I've had it the last 5 years and I think it's just peachy.

Happy dubbin y'all!

I've had Bugs with the 4.375 in 36 horse, 40 horse, and 1600 SP. I had Bugs with the 4.125 in both 40 horse and 1600 DP. I had a '79 super beetle convertible with the 3.875.

For the 1600cc motors I would recommend the 3.88 with a 0.93 4th gear. The gear spreads are nice. First is still plenty low for even the heaviest of Bugs. The final drive is 3.60 and the 3 to 4 gear spread is smaller to make it an easier jump when you need it most. It isn't a big enough deal between any of the stock boxes to get me to swap out a good one (about 250rpm at 60 mph), but with a 1600 or larger motor I would always go for the 3.88 and 0.93 4th if I needed to replace my transaxle. (provided I was running near stock size rear tires)

The 40 HP engine does NOT appreciate pulling taller gears at freeway speeds. Even the 4.12 was to much for it (3.67 overall in 4th) and I kept downshifting to third way to often. Funny, a 36 HP engine will pull that kind of gearing in 4th better than a 40 horse (stock split case is 3.63 in 4th.) The 36 horse makes peak torque and power at a lower rpm.
planenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: freeway flyer question Reply with quote

I have a '66 1600DP with a '67 transmission. It performs well, but at 70MPH the engine is turning 3400+. My rear tires are only about 1/2" smaller diameter than stock. So, does this RPM sound correct? Does anyone know where there's a chart that you can compare different trannys with input RPM's? I was thinking the '67 tranny was supposed to drop the RPM down a little at cruise.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: freeway flyer question Reply with quote

3400rpm @ 70mph is not bad.

I have a custom 5 speed and am only 400rpm (3000rpm) lower at 70mph.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you're gonna push tall gears you need a engine with more than stock torque or it will fall on its face when first shift into 4th.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: freeway flyer question Reply with quote

Here is my input into this 'revived' thread...

I purchased my 1958 about 1 year ago. It came with a 'freeway flyer' trans (I was told). I did a TON of research on the combos (3.88, 4.12, 4.37/.82, /.89/.93) and crunched ALL the numbers.

I FINALLY figured out my combo (through the MAGICAL USE of Excel).
I used Glenn's magical chart. Found here:

http://www.glenn-ring.com/tech/tranny_calc.xls

My combo was a 4.37 R&P + .82 4th.

I would rather have a 4.12 R&P, but I guess I'll have to settle for what I have.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: freeway flyer question Reply with quote

a unwise gear change (or tire diameter change) can really ruin your day, oh ysah it may be great on the flats on the highway, but it will be a dog in the mountains, causing you to down shift and then your traveling slower with a higher engine rpm.

I put bigger tires (about 10% increase) on my vw van, great on the flats but dammit, it was so slow in the mountains (like can anything be slower than a stock VW Bus, yes it can!!!) had to down shift way too much and ended up with higher engine rpms than stock (with higher temps, lower oil pressure (heat related) and worse mileage.

you do not have a lot of margin for error in these cars, they do not have any extra horse power and have a fairly narrow power band, not like we got big honking V8s that put out more torque at idle than the vw does at 3000 rpm.

do your research before making any changes.

I am still trying to drive the treads off the larger tires on my bus so I can replace them with stock, I am too darn much a cheapskate to replace the tires before they are worn out.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: freeway flyer question Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
you do not have a lot of margin for error in these cars, they do not have any extra horse power and have a fairly narrow power band, not like we got big honking V8s that put out more torque at idle than the vw does at 3000 rpm.

Unless you have invested and upgraded the stock 1200/1300/1500/1600 motor. I have a 1915 that is putting out 100hp/115tq. Stock gearing just makes it get from 0-60 REALLY REALLY fast. And the engine is still screaming just to go SLOWER than the flow of traffic.

If someone has invested in a modification, there should be no reason that a slight increase in gearing and/or tires size shouldn't be considered.

Hot VW's had an article that showed EVEN WITH A STOCK 1600, you could increase HP by 30% and torque by 10% with simple bolt on items in a single afternoon.

I see no reason why (with even those simple mods) you can't increase your tire size or gear ratio. My OG motor was a 25HP Type 1. My gearing was appropriate for a 25HP motor. I now have 400% more HP and 200%+ more Torque. Going up 20% in gear ratios seems paltry in comparison... and yet people still argue over the gear change. My motor has more power at 1000 RPM than the stock at 4000.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: