Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help finding a barrel nut for a 28 pict carb
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
static337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Need help finding a barrel nut for a 28 pict carb Reply with quote

Found one. Thanks all for the help.

Last edited by static337 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: need help finding a barrel nut for a 28 pict carb Reply with quote

Gd Used Throttle Cable Extender w/barrell Nut Price: $6 + Shipping,
throttle cable nut bolt barrel nut accelerator Price: $3.
static337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: need help finding a barrel nut for a 28 pict carb Reply with quote

Thanks the second one I've found similar ones but have been told they don't fit a 28 pict I'll double check with the seller.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: need help finding a barrel nut for a 28 pict carb Reply with quote

New old stock part from BUGCITY: https://www.bugcity.com/shop/shop.htm?pquery=111129921
static337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: need help finding a barrel nut for a 28 pict carb Reply with quote

Thank you. That's what I need. But not gonna pay 10 dollars shipping on a 4 dollar part. Bummer.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: need help finding a barrel nut for a 28 pict carb Reply with quote

In similar cases where shipping cost exceeded the item cost, I usually end up fleshing out the order some with other bits and bobs that I've had floating about on my "want" list -- there are always small items and projects that could use some attention, or at the very least having a couple OEM spare parts about does come in handy from time to time.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Need help finding a barrel nut for a 28 pict carb Reply with quote

I'm not sure where you're getting that other barrel clamps won't fit.

The ones on the carbs were the same diameter going back a very long ways. In the late 60s they changed from a flat head screw to an 8mm hex head, but the barrel size was the same.

I'm one of the few people around who actually like the old slotted-style barrel clamp - well I like the original look of it better than the 8mm style. But I've used BOTH styles at various times over the years, on the 28PICT on my 62 bug.

Really, all of these examples interchange!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What won't work are the larger diameter barrel clamps used on the heater box levers up to the early/mid 60s.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: need help finding a barrel nut for a 28 pict carb Reply with quote

static337 wrote:
Thanks the second one I've found similar ones but have been told they don't fit a 28 pict I'll double check with the seller.

Well - if you read it on the internet, it must be true Laughing .... I have run into one here and there that is a little too snug but if I didnt have any other options, a piece of sandpaper would solve that....
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
static337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Need help finding a barrel nut for a 28 pict carb Reply with quote

I'll take a sellers word on it not fitting before wasting the money on one that won't fit. If that's reading it on the Internet then I'm guilty.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Need help finding a barrel nut for a 28 pict carb Reply with quote

I've got several extras. Happy to send you one. PM me your address.
static337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Need help finding a barrel nut for a 28 pict carb Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
I'm not sure where you're getting that other barrel clamps won't fit.

The ones on the carbs were the same diameter going back a very long ways. In the late 60s they changed from a flat head screw to an 8mm hex head, but the barrel size was the same.

I'm one of the few people around who actually like the old slotted-style barrel clamp - well I like the original look of it better than the 8mm style. But I've used BOTH styles at various times over the years, on the 28PICT on my 62 bug.

Really, all of these examples interchange!

What won't work are the larger diameter barrel clamps used on the heater box levers up to the early/mid 60s.

Hmm. I'll keep looking. Seems thato the ones I found have a diameter of 5/16 or 8mm I'm measuring only 6mm of opening on my throttle lever.
static337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Need help finding a barrel nut for a 28 pict carb Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
I've got several extras. Happy to send you one. PM me your address.

Awesome. Sending pm now.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Need help finding a barrel nut for a 28 pict carb Reply with quote

Or you can go this route and save 50% on the part and I'm sure he won't charge $10 for shipping.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1792579

This was accomplished with a classifieds search using 'barrel".

You might want to buy a small grip of em. When I used to take my car to the local VW repair they routinely "replaced the clamp with the "correct" part" Rolling Eyes

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help finding a barrel nut for a 28 pict carb Reply with quote

static337 wrote:

Hmm. I'll keep looking. Seems thato the ones I found have a diameter of 5/16 or 8mm I'm measuring only 6mm of opening on my throttle lever.

Not sure how you got 6mm there. It is supposed to be 8mm.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: