Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1962-67 Fuel Gauges/Sending Units, the continuing drama....
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blank grille. 1961 was the last year that there was not a stock fuel gauge - they were optional though. But a stock bug in 61 looked just like the owner's manual:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buggeezer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: 1965 fuel gauge , no boot, leaking Reply with quote

My original fuel gauge sending unit was leaking and had no trace of a boot seal left. Rather than buying a new sending unit I was trying to think of a fix. I thought about this for a whole day after seeing where the boot/seal was supposed to go. I thought of making my own boot. I used the finger and a little more, of a nitrile glove and I had some spiral tie rod boot (VW) retainers saved from old boots. This spiral ring fit perfectly into the recess around the sending unit operating arm. I cut a very small hole in the tip if the finger/glove and using the spiral ring I pressed the ring and glove all the way down. That fit perfectly! I had cut the hole for the actuating arm just a little too big and did not have another good part of a glove here at home so I used an "O" ring over the upper potion of the finger/glove. That is tricky, installing the o ring over the arm. I pulled the finger portion out and over where the cable goes and then installed the o ring over the large cable retainer AND the glove. Works just great! I f anyone is REALLY interested, I will take photos and post. Quick story.... back in the 50's a friend was driving his 50 Chev one neight and it quit. The brass float had sunk. he shook all the gas out and tied a condom over the float and it worked just fine! So a condom was going to be my second choice. My Bug has screwed me so much, I should carry condoms anyway!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1962-67 Fuel Gauges/Sending Units, the continuing drama.... Reply with quote

Time to replace the sending unit in my '67. Whats the final verdict on the WW sending unit?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1962-67 Fuel Gauges/Sending Units, the continuing drama.... Reply with quote

I wonder if they ever started assembling them with the float installed correctly? Other than that, those seem pretty good. I'm still using it in my 62.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1962-67 Fuel Gauges/Sending Units, the continuing drama.... Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
I wonder if they ever started assembling them with the float installed correctly? Other than that, those seem pretty good. I'm still using it in my 62.

I will order one and report back
piperj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962-67 Fuel Gauges/Sending Units, the continuing drama.... Reply with quote

I ordered a WW fuel tank sender in April of this year. The same issues described above were still present on float direction and also binds in the pivot arm causing erroneous readings. The good news is that the problems were easily solved with a little fiddling around. The bad news is that we the consumer have to mess with a new part to get it to work. Rolling Eyes

I am happy that I no longer seem to have leaks or fumes so job done (for now).
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962-67 Fuel Gauges/Sending Units, the continuing drama.... Reply with quote

FL-Frank wrote:
glutamodo wrote:

I reversed the float on the WW sender, and installed it today. There are about 5 gallons in the tank, however, the gauge holds steady at about 7/8 gallons, and only drops to 1/2 reading when I brake hard or turn quickly to the left. Then it goes right back up to the 7/8 reading.

What's the fix?

Last edited by FL-Frank on Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962-67 Fuel Gauges/Sending Units, the continuing drama.... Reply with quote

FL-Frank wrote:
FL-Frank wrote:
glutamodo wrote:

I reverse the float on the WW sender, and installed it today. There are about 5 gallons in the tank, however, the gauge holds steady at about 7/8 gallons, and only drops to 1/2 reading when I brake hard or turn quickly to the left. Then it goes right back up to the 7/8 reading.

What's the fix?

Searched and found a thread which explains how to adjust the gauge. Simple enough, the gauge now reads 1/2 full. Will drive in the morning to see if all is good now.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962-67 Fuel Gauges/Sending Units, the continuing drama.... Reply with quote

Yeah, adjustment helps. Cool

This particular thread was mostly about 'my' personal fuel gauge drama... trying to get it so it actually does something like it's supposed to - 1.3 gallons left in the tank when it's on the top of Reserve - so I never even thought to post the adjustment procedure here, as it's something I played with many many times.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1962-67 Fuel Gauges/Sending Units, the continuing drama.... Reply with quote

FL-Frank wrote:
FL-Frank wrote:
FL-Frank wrote:
glutamodo wrote:

I reverse the float on the WW sender, and installed it today. There are about 5 gallons in the tank, however, the gauge holds steady at about 7/8 gallons, and only drops to 1/2 reading when I brake hard or turn quickly to the left. Then it goes right back up to the 7/8 reading.

What's the fix?

Searched and found a thread which explains how to adjust the gauge. Simple enough, the gauge now reads 1/2 full. Will drive in the morning to see if all is good now.

After 50 miles, the gauge still reads 1/2 full??? Double checked the gauge calibration and the float movement, all appears to be correct. Wondering if maybe the cable is stretched out and no longer operating correctly after 50 years of service? Is it possible to source a new cable? Any other suggestions?
Gary Haberman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1962-67 Fuel Gauges/Sending Units, the continuing drama.... Reply with quote

Just had to chime in here.
I was searching for how to rebuild the fuel gauge when I found this thread. I replaced the sending unit in both my '62 and '66 T1 with units from WW and have had no problems nor did I have to modify them in any way (other parts from WW, yes-but not the sender).
I found it odd that there are a few vendors who restore speedos (I had two restored quite nicely at a good price) but I can't find one who does fuel gauges nor a entry by someone who's done it already.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1962-67 Fuel Gauges/Sending Units, the continuing drama.... Reply with quote

Well, if you install that sending unit from WW as they deliver it, it WILL impact your tank's filter "sock". If you're missing that piece though... or if it just smacked it and broke it off, then it probably would work. I guess it depends if you care about that or not.

FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1962-67 Fuel Gauges/Sending Units, the continuing drama.... Reply with quote

FL-Frank wrote:
FL-Frank wrote:
FL-Frank wrote:
FL-Frank wrote:
glutamodo wrote:

What's the fix?

After 50 miles, the gauge still reads 1/2 full??? Double checked the gauge calibration and the float movement, all appears to be correct. Wondering if maybe the cable is stretched out and no longer operating correctly after 50 years of service? Is it possible to source a new cable? Any other suggestions?

Went back and double checked everything early this morning including recalibrating the gauge. Went for a drive along the beach, and voila! Gauge is now operational. This mornings drive brought the gauge needle down to just touching the right hand edge of the R mark. Filled the tank to the base of the filler neck, and it took 8.5 gallons. So, my conclusion is I've got approximately 2 gallons or 50 miles left when the needle begins to brush the right edge of the R mark.
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962-67 Fuel Gauges/Sending Units, the continuing drama.... Reply with quote

So no one makes the lever rubber below do they? Thanks

glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962-67 Fuel Gauges/Sending Units, the continuing drama.... Reply with quote

Whomever EIS got their sending units from obviously made the rubber boots, but... those are held in by a crimped disc, and even if you could get it, I don't see how you'd reliably be able to install it.

VdanielW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Okay, an update. I got the new EIS cast-metal clone-of-VDO tank unit the other day and today got it out and looked it over. Looks to be fairly well made. But the rubber boot, it gets bunched up and sort of prevents the float from going all the way to the bottom. So I was twisting on it to try to reposition it and that's when I leared it had been glued to the operating arm, so my tinkering broke that glue free. Not sure if I should re-glue it or not. I'm also not sure if I'm going to use it. I dug out all my other tank units, a couple of Maguras, the black plastic Instron, the crappy white-plastic one, the better white-plastic one I got from Airhead, and compared them all. What I found was that even if I force the float on the EIS unit all the way to the bottom, it still sits about an inch higher in elevation than the others do. And since it's my desire to have one that reads "something" below a gallon left in the tank, I think this one is going to disappoint. I have not decided what my next test is going to be - hell the tank unit I think I like the best is that Instron with the hairline crack in it. I might even try that one again. But first I have to see if the modifications I made to that (NOS before I got it) VDO unit that's currently in the car made any difference as far as leakage or performance.
-Andy

I too had the bunching up problem of the rubber boot thing on the arm preventing a good empty tank reading. I added weight to the bottom of the arm just above the float (where the weight is already at). For weights I added a couple of hose clamps. This gave enough weight to force the arm past where the boot allowed but still floats properly at anything above this.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962-67 Fuel Gauges/Sending Units, the continuing drama.... Reply with quote

I'm looking for help in repairing/restoring the mechanical fuel gauge. Anyone has pics and instructions?
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962-67 Fuel Gauges/Sending Units, the continuing drama.... Reply with quote

The gauge? I've taken them apart and in my opinion, that is a device that is assembled and once you take it apart, unless you have the same tooling as the factory did, it becomes close to impossible to put back together without messing it up.

bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1962-67 Fuel Gauges/Sending Units, the continuing drama.... Reply with quote

Thanks! Stopped me from considering a gauge that needed work.
Byas
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
mrkrause
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962-67 Fuel Gauges/Sending Units, the continuing drama.... Reply with quote

Oh my gosh......
So I bought a fiberglass buggy that needed a ton of work. Btw, I’ve never owned or worked on VW’s before.

This fiberglass body will not allow access to the top of the fuel tank without dismantling the front of the car......steering column, instrument panel.....not fun!

Because they had installed a fuel cap access cap in the middle of hood, you can look in at the top of the tank, and with a flashlight barely see the top of the float.

Looking in I could see why the fuel gauge wasn’t working. The cable wasn’t hooked up to the arm and the cable housing wasn’t sitting in its “holder”. From inside the car I was able to reach under the dash, over the tank and blindly put the cable ball on the float arm and set the cable housing on the housing holder. Bam ! Fuel gauge worked !

Took off down the street and the gauge dropped to empty. Pulled over, looked inside the hood fuel cap and the cable housing was out of the holder.

After reading all 5 pages (My post has now made it 6) of this post, I realized that a “cap” was supposed to sit over the float assembly, thus locking the cable in its holder. Duh !!

So, now I’ll be researching and looking for a cap. There wasn’t one on this buggy.

Thanks guys !

Last edited by mrkrause on Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: