Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fun souvenir I found in a drawer
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Fun souvenir I found in a drawer Reply with quote

I had forgotten about this well-worn treasure:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the original key to the '62 Beetle I learned to drive in. The car was totaled in 1970 when a truck broadsided it while my father was driving. (No injuries, fortunately.)

I remember deciding to keep the key as a souvenir. I'm amazed to discover that I still had it tucked away almost 50 years later. Shocked

Comparing it to the SG key in my '54 it looks like there's enough remaining metal to (possibly) allow cutting it to match my current key. I can't decide whether it's worth attempting or if I should just keep this for what it is -- a memento of the first car I drove.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun souvenir I found in a drawer Reply with quote

René R. wrote:

Those are made by "Huf" but the script looked like "Hof" to my dad, causing his amazement that VW had imprinted our family name on the keys! Alas, not true, but I think of him every time I see a Huf key.
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun souvenir I found in a drawer Reply with quote

Good memory. I love thinking about my first drives. I Couldnt wait to be 17 Maybe just hang the key in your 54? Anyway good luck

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun souvenir I found in a drawer Reply with quote

I'd definitely keep it as a souvenir and not recut it. Send it to the chrome shop along with your split bits and when it comes back, hang it from a "volksbaggin" keychain made of material that matches your '62's interior!

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Fun souvenir I found in a drawer Reply with quote

I agree. Don't recut it. If it were mine I'd just keep and display it somewhere where you can see it and remember the memories.

P.S.
(On a related note, that poor Beetle looks so sad, I can't help but feel sorry for it. Crying or Very sad I gotta ask, did y'all have a name for it back then?)

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Fun souvenir I found in a drawer Reply with quote

René R. wrote:

This is the original key to the '62 Beetle I learned to drive in. The car was totaled in 1970 when a truck broadsided it while my father was driving. (No injuries, fortunately.)

I remember deciding to keep the key as a souvenir. I'm amazed to discover that I still had it tucked away almost 50 years later. Shocked

Comparing it to the SG key in my '54 it looks like there's enough remaining metal to (possibly) allow cutting it to match my current key. I can't decide whether it's worth attempting or if I should just keep this for what it is -- a memento of the first car I drove.
but but but...thatell buff out!!!!
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Fun souvenir I found in a drawer Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm taking your advice and just putting on my regular keychain as a memento. (I have a separate keychain for my '54 keys.) I cleaned this key up a bit with 0000 steel wool and it looks way better.

@Bug-nut: my father (and I) always loved cars but my family was never sentimental enough about them to give any of them names, though I did consider it for my current one. (Marlene? Ingrid? I never did decide.)

It was a bummer when that '62 was totaled. My father was crazy about that car. He did replace it with a later one but somehow it was never the same.
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun souvenir I found in a drawer Reply with quote

You're not the only one.

I've found keys for all of my really old vws. The 74 superbeetle, the 73 squareback, of course, the 66.

With some oddball VW-themed keychains from the 80s as well.

I know, I know, pictures or it didn't happen.

Been interested in re-using these keys on my existing VW. not sure about going about doing this.

Kyle
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun souvenir I found in a drawer Reply with quote

Don't re-cut the key. Remember what the man said------"they're only original once". Very Happy
Jakeg1999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun souvenir I found in a drawer Reply with quote

That's a great key, you aught to find a way to display it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun souvenir I found in a drawer Reply with quote

Looks pretty worn for an 8 year old car.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun souvenir I found in a drawer Reply with quote

I kept the VOLKSWAGEN script from my first car, a '71 SB (scrapped around '81). I put in on the speaker board of my current ride:

Here's a photo of me working on my '71, taken in '78 or '79:

jason wrote:
Looks pretty worn for an 8 year old car.

My '71 was also pretty beat up for a 7 year car.
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: