Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 3 body cart
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Type 3 body cart Reply with quote

Few years ago when I took my 65 apart, I built a body stand for it. This image is the first mock up of that stand. I later changed the caster wheels for larger units and leveled out the body.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Flash forward to current day...I need to know - from those who've built one in the past - Did anyone jot down dimensions of what they built? I have to drive 70 miles to pick up the body for this car and the stand is long gone. Because I built it in the garage with the body readily available, I retained zero dimensions.

I'd like to put one together before I go get the body.

Last edited by ataraxia on Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 body cart Reply with quote

I can go measure mine if you want?

Not sure it will help you, though..

Do you want to be able to store your pan under the body?
That's the big advantage of a cart like yours, with the perimeter frame.

Mine, under-body storage of the pan wasn't a consideration.

It will, however, work for both the body and floor-pan,
And it's well out of the way when you are working around either on the cart.

What’s That Noise?!?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 body cart Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
Few years ago when I took my 65 apart, I built a body stand for it:

Flash forward to current day...I need to know - from those who've built one in the past - Did anyone jot down dimensions of what they built? I have to drive 70 miles to pick up the body for this car and the stand is long gone. Because I built it in the garage with the body readily available, I retained zero dimensions.

I'd like to put one together before I go get the body.

You know since you have another car sitting at your home, you could probably pull the needed dimensions from it, going off your posted pic. It shouldn't be too hard to get close on the numbers with a helper (holding the smart end of the tape measure). About the only thing you might need to figure out, will be the height of the cart, and whether or not you'll clear the tires on the rolling pan (well that and the shifter). I only say that, as that's the 1 thing I struggle with, when lifting the body off the pan (getting it to clear those items). Just something to think about.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 body cart Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
I can go measure mine if you want?

Not sure it will help you, though..

Do you want to be able to store your pan under the body?
That's the big advantage of a cart like yours, with the perimeter frame.

Mine, under-body storage of the pan wasn't a consideration.

It will, however, work for both the body and floor-pan,
And it's well out of the way when you are working around either on the cart.

I would appreciate it if you could measure your cart - Mainly the places where the front and rear would sit and the height of each support (the front is lower than the rear). I need to be able to bolt the body to the cart at the front mounts and then bolt the body to the stand at the rear mounts - similar to the way this one was built. Man, I wish I'd kept the dimensions!

I only need to transport the body on a trailer - not store anything underneath, although I need to be able to attach the bare pan (no engine/trans/suspension) while the body is on this cart.

The cart that I made years ago was built around storing the pan underneath with the ability to roll the pan under it once up on tires (by increasing the size of the wheels on the cart). I don't need this functionality now...just transport.

Bobnotch wrote:

You know since you have another car sitting at your home, you could probably pull the needed dimensions from it, going off your posted pic. It shouldn't be too hard to get close on the numbers with a helper (holding the smart end of the tape measure). About the only thing you might need to figure out, will be the height of the cart, and whether or not you'll clear the tires on the rolling pan (well that and the shifter). I only say that, as that's the 1 thing I struggle with, when lifting the body off the pan (getting it to clear those items). Just something to think about.

The car at the house is intact and I could get semi-accurate dimensions off of it but I'd prefer to build it and just go get the body vs. have to tweak it once I get to the body shop. Most of what I do on my cars is solo - my wife isn't into the hobby at all.

I just need to get the body on a trailer - nothing stored underneath because this car is being sold.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 body cart Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:

I would appreciate it if you could measure your cart - Mainly the places where the front and rear would sit and the height of each support (the front is lower than the rear). I need to be able to bolt the body to the cart at the front mounts and then bolt the body to the stand at the rear mounts - similar to the way this one was built. Man, I wish I'd kept the dimensions!

I only need to transport the body on a trailer - not store anything underneath, although I need to be able to attach the bare pan (no engine/trans/suspension) while the body is on this cart.

If you have a bare rolling pan around, that could give you the numbers to work out where you need to bolt the body to the cart. Maybe Steve could give you those numbers if you don't have a pan sitting there. As it is, the front upper bolts would have to come thru some sort of bracket, while the rears could be lag bolted in place.
I hope this helps, as I don't currently have a rolling pan here.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 body cart Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
If you have a bare rolling pan around, that could give you the numbers to work out where you need to bolt the body to the cart. Maybe Steve could give you those numbers if you don't have a pan sitting there. As it is, the front upper bolts would have to come thru some sort of bracket, while the rears could be lag bolted in place.
I hope this helps, as I don't currently have a rolling pan here.

The pan will only provide one of the dimensions - the bolts that go through the front are actually on the front beam clamps, which, absent a rolling pan - is tough to guesstimate.

If I have no other choice, I'll either take an old mattress with me and put the body on that or I'll make a SWAG toward building a cart. I know that the supports are roughly 5' 6" wide.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 body cart Reply with quote

I wound up building a cart that's larger than necessary for transport. I built it to be adjusted on site to fit the body since I don't have the exact dimensions.

I'll modify it once I get the body back to the house and then put casters on the bottom to move it around.

When it's finished, I'll post up dimensions so that anyone needing to know will have access to them.

ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 body cart Reply with quote

My first run at building the cart using the completely assembled car was way off so I went with what I knew and decided to make adjustments when I arrived at the shop to pick up the body. It was close enough that I didn't have any real issues during pick up. I transported the bare body so it wasn't too heavy but this cart will need to support the body, pan, all glass installed, seats, etc. so it's got to be rather sturdy.

Flash forward to today when I made the modifications and I completely forgot to take photos of the cart and the dimensions. I scratched up a drawing of the major pieces on the back of something I'd printed out.

My high school drafting teacher would be horrified at how poorly I illustrated this thing...

Here's the cart (upside down) right after I finished putting it back together. It was super hot/humid and I was racing a clock to get this done so I didn't take many photos.

This cart is 69" wide - made that way because I had to get the pan installed on the body while it was on the cart. If you don't need to install the pan while the body is on the cart, you can reduce the width by 12" and probably the height by 6", front and rear.

Most of this cart was made using random scraps of wood I had inexplicably squirreled away in my garage/yard. I didn't measure the diagonal supports for a specific length - just squared the uprights and cut accordingly.

I spent about $35 on the SPAX lags, caster wheels and four pieces of wood...I imagine it would cost about $65-$75 to build if all of the parts are bought vs. scrounged from scrap wood.

Material list:
* Two 4"x4"x66" (horizontal support) - also possible to use four 2"x4"x66" if preferred.
* Four 2"x4"x16" (front upright)
* Four 2"x4"x20" (rear upright)
* Two 2"x6"x69" (bottom support/mount for wheels)
* One 2"x4"x66" (bottom middle support)
* Two 2"x4"x102" (side stringers)
* Eight 2"x4" diagonal supports - I'll get dimensions in the near future and post them
* 3" SPAX Lags (I bought a box of 50) - used these specifically because they won't split the wood
* Four 5" swivel caster wheels - in hindsight, I'd probably upgrade to a 6" wheel for maneuverability

Assembly:
1. Screw the uprights together - used SPAX 3" screws because lags are overkill
2. Screw the uprights to the side stringers (pay attention to front/rear so you don't put two fronts on one side stringer)
3. Screw the horizontal supports to the uprights - if you're attaching the pan, you'll have to notch the bottom of the 4x4 for the front beam bit that sticks out. I didn't realize this until I tried to attach the pan.
4. Flip the whole thing over and attach the bottom supports
5. Screw in the wheels (make sure to use the 3 mounting holes that will have the lags go into the adjoining pieces)
6. Flip it over onto the wheels
7. Attach the center support at, well, the center - front to rear
8. Measure and cut the 8 diagonal supports to keep the uprights square

Took me a long time to build because I basically had to build it and take it apart twice to get the measurements correct (keeping the body relatively straight, front to rear) and I was trying to use up the random pile of wood I had on hand. With dimensions and all of the materials it should take about 90 minutes to build.

Photos to follow

Last edited by ataraxia on Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:30 am; edited 3 times in total
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 body cart Reply with quote

Left Front:

Left Rear:
axeman569
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 body cart Reply with quote

I will be doing this in the next month or so. Thanks for posting it.
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 body cart Reply with quote

Ataraxia, great post man. Would make a great Sticky to reference for folks wanting to build their carts. People could post their samples of carts built to meet a variety for different space issues. My thought anyway.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 body cart Reply with quote

axeman569 wrote:
I will be doing this in the next month or so. Thanks for posting it.

You're welcome - feel free to ask if you have questions.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 body cart Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
Ataraxia, great post man. Would make a great Sticky to reference for folks wanting to build their carts.

It's in the in the Type 3 FAQ. Smile

Thanks for the post ataraxia
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 body cart Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
Ataraxia, great post man. Would make a great Sticky to reference for folks wanting to build their carts. People could post their samples of carts built to meet a variety for different space issues. My thought anyway.

Thanks, MonT3...it needs a few more details but I'll get to those.

EverettB wrote:
MonT3 wrote:
Ataraxia, great post man. Would make a great Sticky to reference for folks wanting to build their carts.

It's in the in the Type 3 FAQ. Smile

Thanks for the post ataraxia

Very Happy
supersuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 body cart Reply with quote

Sorry I couldn't get you any information on it. I tried looking, but couldn't find anything about the measurements. I had sold my body cart to a local enthusiast a while ago, but couldn't find his number and forgot his name.
68 Fastback Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5396323#5396323
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 body cart Reply with quote

supersuk wrote:
Sorry I couldn't get you any information on it. I tried looking, but couldn't find anything about the measurements. I had sold my body cart to a local enthusiast a while ago, but couldn't find his number and forgot his name.

No worries...I've built enough of these that I should have the dimensions memorized by now.

Someday, I'll get to restoring my 64 and I'll need the dimensions again - so this thread is partially for 'future me'... Laughing
axeman569
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 body cart Reply with quote

Does your cart line up with the front beam mount holes and the rear body mount holes? If so, what is that distance? I am coming up with 102 inches. A notchback would have the same dimensions correct?
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 body cart Reply with quote

axeman569 wrote:
Does your cart line up with the front beam mount holes and the rear body mount holes? If so, what is that distance? I am coming up with 102 inches. A notchback would have the same dimensions correct?

Yes and yes.

Check out the drawing with dimensions at the top of the post.
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 body cart Reply with quote

Here's another option for the sticky:
I made this, but it's long gone, so I do not have measurements, but use the others above for reference.
I needed the pan to roll under it too for space reasons, and I would recommend decent casters as well, it helped a lot.

ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 body cart Reply with quote

With the dimensions above, the pan will roll underneath. If in doubt, wooden the cart by another 6-9"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: