Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Well Angus I'm glad to see that your steering column (RHD) is at the same angle mine was before I moved the steering box about 3cm towards the right front wheel. Are you going to leave it like that?
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Angus Dowrie wrote:
Took some photos of the lines. Hope they help, at the end of the day you've just got to get it close, there was a little variation even on original cars.

Thanks Angus, these will come in handy later on.

Angus Dowrie wrote:
The steering column basically just went straight in. There is a little adjustment on length available so no drama to fit. Can't remember what year model it came from, but could check if you like. It was from another customers car at the workshop who was using a completely different non VW column/steering wheel combination.

There is no visual difference in the cabin, so it's just the collapsible cage part under the tank that looks different. Mine is a '63, but I don't think there is a lot of difference with the '66 with this part. The standard VW wheel would also fit, has the same spline as the VDM.

I contacted Vintage VW to see if they have a collapsible shaft and Boris said they do but it would need to be modified to suit the early steering column tube. If you could find out what year yours was from this would be helpful.
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
Well Angus I'm glad to see that your steering column (RHD) is at the same angle mine was before I moved the steering box about 3cm towards the right front wheel. Are you going to leave it like that?

It does look bent in the photo doesn't it? Can't recall it looking that in real life. Will check it out again, but we did a full lock to lock on it and all seemed ok.

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
I contacted Vintage VW to see if they have a collapsible shaft and Boris said they do but it would need to be modified to suit the early steering column tube. If you could find out what year yours was from this would be helpful.

I'll find out when I'm there again. There was just a little adjustment required on length, otherwise it just slipped in.
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Angus Dowrie wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:

It does look bent in the photo doesn't it? Can't recall it looking that in real life. Will check it out again, but we did a full lock to lock on it and all seemed ok.

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:

I'll find out when I'm there again. There was just a little adjustment required on length, otherwise it just slipped in.

Yes, would be good to know. The one I have is, I believe from a '68. Would be great if it just slipped in.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

It's been a while since my last post. Life has kind of got in the way recently so the Ghia had to take a back seat for a bit. Long story short, aged mother had a fall, had to find a nursing home, move her in, clear out her house etc etc. all good now!

Some of the boxes of trinkets are making their way onto the car now. Horns, headlights, gauges, wiper motor, tail lights. Waiting on the generator to come back from its 12v conversion to be able to finish the engine off. Deck lid off until then, easier to work on it - same with the bonnet until all the wiring is complete.

Upholstery will be the next major step.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

that thing is one step from the scrap yard..... Razz

I am very familiar with life getting in the way, we all have trials and "things" are just forgotten especially when it comes to health/family...

I'm afraid to start on my ghia as a lot of these threads turn onto years, but when I do I will have time and money set aside to nail it out...hopefully doesn't turn into a body off resto like yours..

nice looking car you have there
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Dang, it's looking good and it's good to hear from ya!
Sorry to hear about the fall, hope she's doing well now!
-Plus a wide assortment of various parts'n'junk
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

VeeDubWolf, she's fine -you just can't fight time!

Bit more time on the Ghia today. Ignition switch and door handles back from being keyed alike, and fitted to the car. Fresh air socks, grills etc plus the external nostrils fitted. Mirrors fitted to the newly chromed original rear view and side mirrors.

I did some sand blasting of bumper stand-offs and rear window heater vent ready for Barry to paint. He's painted the various knobs so they all match. He's doing a micro switch mod to the wiper switch to still allow use of the central washer button with an electric pump.

All this and I forgot to take photos, so no evidence exists until I'm back there next week!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Angus Dowrie wrote:
VeeDubWolf, she's fine -you just can't fight time! He's doing a micro switch mod to the wiper switch to still allow use of the central washer button with an electric pump...

Hi Angus, I'm watching wth interest what you're doing. I'd like to see how you're doing the wiper washer conversion. That's still on my to-do list.

The re-assembly of the car is the fun part. It's like doing a really tough Ravensburg Puzzle with one piece at a time falling into place. Enjoy.
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

The washer conversion is to meet our local registration requirements without drilling holes etc. A momentary switch attached to the back of the wiper switch powers the washer. A bladder is suspended behind the dash using cable ties with a pump inside. It means no long wire runs and no additional switch on the dash.

The original system had a pressured tank suspended on the spare tyre, and doesn't work well at the best of times.

Radio knobs painted, before and after pics

Indicator arm assembly painted and installed

Horn button and wheel in place for the last time.

Rear window vent painted

Fresh air nostrils, filters, socks etc in place.

Rear view mirror and side mirror ready for glass installation, now in.

Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Angus Dowrie wrote:
A bladder is suspended behind the dash using cable ties with a pump inside. It means no long wire runs and no additional switch on the dash.

What about one of these: http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D113%2D989%2D945%2DA (without using the switch)? Not so different from original but gives a functional electric pump and you can fill the bottle easily.
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
Angus Dowrie wrote:
A bladder is suspended behind the dash using cable ties with a pump inside. It means no long wire runs and no additional switch on the dash.

What about one of these: http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D113%2D989%2D945%2DA (without using the switch)? Not so different from original but gives a functional electric pump and you can fill the bottle easily.

I have looked at that, seems a good option but has been out of stock whenever I look. I have a toolbox that clips on the spare, which would hide anything there. May go to that once I have her on the road. Could still use my modified switch with it.
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

With this electronic kit and coil for my 019 dizzy, plus my 6-12V converted genny finally due Monday, we'll be able to get the motor going at last.

Important step as it was overhauled about 12 years ago but has never actually run! Need to know if it needs any work as it will be close to critical path if it does!
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Genny still not turned up. Guy doing was in hospital briefly, ok now. Bloody thing is truly cursed.......

So on to the front bumper, looks ok. Still waiting for the clear lenses from Rudiger for the indicators, he was out of stock. Number plate is a retro black and white plate from that era. Front is slimline which was not possible back in the day but better suited for the Ghia. The rear is the original standard size. PBE for her name Phoebe, 144 for the model designation.

Looking more like a car every day! First photo shows the extended centre cap on the BRM. It looks too long to me, it can be shortened and probably will be.

Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Hi Angus, it is looking good. Can you show how you mounted the front number plate without drilling holes in the bumper?
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Nice pics, looking good! Nice to have the slim plate in front so it doesn't get caught on parking-space curbs.
-Plus a wide assortment of various parts'n'junk
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
Hi Angus, it is looking good. Can you show how you mounted the front number plate without drilling holes in the bumper?
X2 I've still got cable ties on mine.
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

VeeDubWolf wrote:
Nice pics, looking good! Nice to have the slim plate in front so it doesn't get caught on parking-space curbs.

VDW, yes I personally prefer the look of a slimmer plate on the Ghia. But for practical reasons also, I have a very steep driveway so can't have much hanging down. It's mounted on the standard plate holes presently, I may lift the plate higher yet to have even less hanging under the bumper.
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
X2 I've still got cable ties on mine.
Nicholas

The mount is one I bought through Rudiger at vintagecarparts.de ( from memory ), I can get his details if you are interested. They pick up the bumper bolts so pretty neat and tidy. I'll take some closer photos next week when I'm down.

If you are keen, probably too expensive to just get that one item shipped. I am expecting a few items from him that weren't in stock when I did the big order, he might be able to pop them in as well if he hasn't already posted my parts. They wouldn't be hard to make either.
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoebe - After 10+ years the Resto begins! Reply with quote

Sorry for the off topic stupid question but why are the radio buttons LMMUU?
Just because it didn't come that way, doesn't mean it shouldn't have.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 18

Jump to: