Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who sells a good media/sand blaster?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the smaller harbor freight pressurized blaster. All in all it works pretty good, I use Home Depot play sand. Lowes sand has larger particles. I use a house hold metal strainer, you kind of have to experiment to get the right size strainer. I strain every thing going into the blaster. The sand is very wet when you bring it home, put it in a bucket to dry out for a couple of days. I have moisture issues with my compressor which causes jam ups. Can anyone recommend a good inexpensive way to reduce the moisture in my lines?
cnd_eh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Wet Sandblasting Reply with quote

I use a jerry rigged setup to wet sandblast with good results. It keeps the dust down and the water pressure assist lets you get away with using a run of the mill air compressor.

Harbor Freight Chinese Sandblaster rig:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Siphon feed pressure washer sand blasting kit (Toss out the metal siphon tube):

Gas powered pressure washer:

Cheap Alltrade re-branded 20 gallon compressor. Mine says Kawasaki

You take the black blasting hose that comes with the blasting rig off and attached the clear hose from pressure washer attachment in it's place.

Put the siphon attachment on your pressure wand and lay the clear hose on top of your pressure wand. Figure out a comfortable spot to place a ball valve to be operated with your left hand to regulate the sand output. Cut the clear hose and place the ball valve inline.

Now you have two valves that regulate the flow of sand from the tank. The one on the bottom of the tank and one on the pressure wand next to where you actually need it.

Just connect the sand blaster to your compressor and set the output regulator on the compressor to between 40-50 psi and let it charge up. At this reduced pressure your compressor won't struggle to keep up with the blaster at it normally would if you were using the blaster alone.

Crank up the pressure washer, make sure your wand sand control valve is shut and open up the sand control valve on the bottom of the blasting tank.

Squeeze the trigger on your pressure wand and aim at your target while slowly opening up the sand control valve you placed inline until you get a feel of how much sand is required to strip your target.

Always remember to use proper safety gear, a proper respirator is a must even with the wet blasting. Buy yourself a proper face shield, don't use that crap one that comes with the blasting kit. Cover exposed skin, the sand still flies all over even with the water assist.

I'll post a picture my setup when I fire it up next.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Who sells a good media/sand blaster? Reply with quote

Got that picture yet?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: