Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring to coil
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
79bugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

did more tests as follows....

12.31V to wire (red/black) on starter that is connected to ignition when key is in START position

I jumped the starter between the electrical posts and (many sparks) but starter turns and sounds normal.

I'm running out of ideas.....
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

79bugman wrote:
did more tests as follows....

12.31V to wire (red/black) on starter that is connected to ignition when key is in START position

I jumped the starter between the electrical posts and (many sparks) but starter turns and sounds normal.

I'm running out of ideas.....

Are you measuring the voltage on the red/black wire where it is connected to the starter post? Have you taken that wire off the post and cleaned the connector, the post, and any nuts and washers to make sure there is no corrosion?
Douglas A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

Make sure your coil wire is good, and plug in tight on both sides, cap and coil.
This just happen to me starting my new engine?
Worth checking.
zoobyshoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

79Bugman, I'm assuming from your username your Beetle is a '79?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

From you pics I really cannot make out how you have the internal distributor plate (where the points mount) grounded? It almost looks like you took the original wire and soldered it to the pivot point at the end of the vacuum can arm, then soldered your new wire to the same spot? Or did you just twist the wires together?

From all your descriptions I have two possible issues both are related to voltage not reaching the end of the circuits:
    Is there 12.0v (or better) making it to the #50 terminal on the starter solenoid (red/black wire) WHILE you turn the key to START? You may have measured the voltage without the starter load, but try checking the voltage while the starter is drawing current from the battery.

Is there 12.0v (or better) at the ignition coil (+) WHILE the starter is cranking the engine (Obviously you need to get the starter working first). Your previous tests indicated the voltage was dropping too much while the starter was trying to crank. This is either a problem with a weak battery, or with old/dirty wires creating too much resistance. If the voltage appears to be too low, try adding a second (known good) battery using jumper cables. This will supplement the battery and make it appear to be a bigger (more cranking amps) battery. If this gets the starter cranking and the ignition firing then your battery may be old.

'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
79bugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

Yes, this is a 79SB DP 1600CC completly stock with carb (I did not want to mess with FI)

As for the coil wire, I believe it is tight. I have taken on/off a few times and think it is making a good connection.

Ashman, I twisted the 2 wires together (my homemade wire and the original one that was attached in the coil. there is NO solder anywhere because I did not want to take the distributor out and could not get enough heat to melt the solder. I believe the connection is pretty good.

as for the red/black ignition wire test ...

I disconnected it totally from the starter, stuck one end of my voltmeter in the connector, grounded the other end of my voltmeter to the battery and turned the key to "start" position .. got 12.31V.

I think there may be an issue with the starter solenoid but I have NOT been able to do additional tests due to my 2 year old daughter needing constant attention when I get home from work.... Very Happy

I found this troubleshooting website:
http://www.type2.com/bartnik/starter.htm

and will continue to do the solenoid test and report back with results.

Thanks again for all the ideas and guidance.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

79bugman wrote:

I disconnected it totally from the starter, stuck one end of my voltmeter in the connector, grounded the other end of my voltmeter to the battery and turned the key to "start" position .. got 12.31V.

I think there may be an issue with the starter solenoid

Agree with this.

Try this test: lift up your back seat. find the small wire from the battery + terminal going across the car (across the rear seat rail) to your voltage regulator . disconnect that wire from the voltage regulator. then find the plastic connector that the red/black starter wire passes through on the floor under the rear seat (driver's side) and disconnect the wire from the side of that connector going through the floor pan to the starter. Then touch those two wires together (watch out it will spark!) By doing this you are bridging the battery straight to the starter solenoid, without the current having to go all the way up to the front of the car through the ignition switch and back to the rear again. THe car will not start by doing this because you are not sending power to the coil--but it should crank the engine healthily. If it does, then do that a few times and then put everything back and try starting the car by turning the key. I have freed up a stuck starter solenoid several times by doing this. You could also bang on the starter solenoid with a hammer a few times.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
79bugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

OK...so here we go ... test results Sad

BATTERY AT BEGINNING = 12.86V

based on the above link for starter trouble I did this test:
spike the positive lead of your voltmeter into this braided wire and ground the negative lead. turned key to start. When your helper does this, you should hear a clunk and measure 12v with your voltmeter (additionally, the engine should be cranking as this happens). If you do not measure 12v, your solenoid is not activating and is not sending power to the starter motor. I MEASURE 2.69V AND NO CRANKING.

remove the wire from the ignition switch from the solenoid. Take your screwdriver or insulated pliers and short the big post with all the wires to it to the terminal on the solenoid where the ignition switch wire plugged in. IT CRANKED HEALTHLY. I DID THIS 3 TIMES AND ALL 3 TIMES IT CRANKED HEALTHLY. OBVIOUSLY THE SOLENOID IS BAD.

I am going to replace the entire starter including the solenoid and was looking at this one http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BOS-SR15N

on other posts, I saw something about an auto stick starter that does not use the bushing. what are these and does someone have a link Question

What does everybody think about this starter for my totally stock DP 1600CC manual trans with Solex carb.

I would like to buy a brand new starter and don't want to order the wrong one!!

NOW BACK TO THE SPARK ISSUE ARRRGGGHHHHH Evil or Very Mad

tests as follows...

after the jumping of the starter solenoid the car cranked every time I turned key to start position.

I tested the wire from the ignition to the coil and an getting continuity to the coil with key in start position (my test light lights up)

test 1 -- put everything back the way it was and car attempted to start, but nothing.

Test 2 -- Pulled the #2 spark plug and grounded against bolt on the intake. turned key to start and nothing..no spark.

test 3 -- coil wire off of coil and off the distributor cap (I was holding the coil wire in my hand). I turned key to start and points open/close as the engine attempts to crank.

test 4 -- Rotor in, distributor cap on, Coil wire hooked up and all electrical wires hooked up as previously stated in the earlier posts. I took the coil wire off the distributor and grounded to the distributor body. turned key to start and car cranks but .... NOTHING, NO SPARK FROM COIL!

WTF... I am getting 12V to the coil, car attempts to crank, points open/close and I get no spark.

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks again for everybody that has posted to this Very Happy
zoobyshoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

79bugman wrote:
remove the wire from the ignition switch from the solenoid. Take your screwdriver or insulated pliers and short the big post with all the wires to it to the terminal on the solenoid where the ignition switch wire plugged in. IT CRANKED HEALTHLY. I DID THIS 3 TIMES AND ALL 3 TIMES IT CRANKED HEALTHLY. OBVIOUSLY THE SOLENOID IS BAD.

I think you came to the wrong conclusion. This test seems to prove your solenoid and starter motor are both fine. You can't crank the engine unless the solenoid engages and 1.)pushes the starter shaft out to engage the flywheel and also 2.)admits current to the starter motor. If the solenoid is doing those two things, it's good. Your starter motor is getting current in this test, and, it is engaging the flywheel, so how are you concluding the solenoid is bad?

What you are cutting out of the circuit with this test is the ignition switch. To my mind, every test you've conducted points to a bad ignition switch.
zoobyshoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

Crazy variation in prices, but it's readily available:

http://www.carparts.com/details/Volkswagen/Super_B...oCXwnw_wcB

http://www.jbugs.com/product/171905865.html?Catego...ys-1975-79

http://www.partstrain.com/store/details/Volkswagen...oC1mzw_wcB

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/IDI1/1803...ion+switch

http://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-cha...icle=false
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

Agree with zoobyshoe, your starter+solenoid sound like they are working properly when 12v reaches the #50 terminal on the starter solenoid.
You mentioned it now works properly since it cranked by shorting the battery cable to the #50 terminal of the solenoid.
I'd first test that you are getting 12v to the end of the red wire that plugs into the #50 terminal when you turn the key to START. Also, clean up the wire terminals and the male #50 spade the wire slips on to. Maybe the removing and reinstalling the wire made a difference and provided a clean connection.

79bugman wrote:

I tested the wire from the ignition to the coil and an getting continuity to the coil with key in start position (my test light lights up)

Ok, but what is the voltage at the #15 (+) terminal of the ignition coil when you are cranking the engine? A common problem is to have 12v while testing with the ignition in the ON position, but when you go to crank the engine and turn the key to START the voltage drops below what is needed by the coil to fire. Instead of using a test lamp, place a voltmeter here and confirm the voltage at the coil does not drop much below 11v (10v would be absolute min for reliable coil firing).

A test lamp is a good tool, but it doesn't tell you the voltage. Most test lamps will light up with as little as 9v. For both the ignition coil and the starter solenoid you want as close to 12v as possible. In both cases the proper voltage (12v) means more reliability. Less than 12v and things start to get unreliable.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
zoobyshoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
79bugman wrote:

Ok, but what is the voltage at the #15 (+) terminal of the ignition coil when you are cranking the engine? A common problem is to have 12v while testing with the ignition in the ON position, but when you go to crank the engine and turn the key to START the voltage drops below what is needed by the coil to fire. Instead of using a test lamp, place a voltmeter here and confirm the voltage at the coil does not drop much below 11v (10v would be absolute min for reliable coil firing).

This is exactly what was happening to me at one point. When I turned the ignition all the way over to "start" it fed some current to the solenoid/starter, but simultaneously cut the coil out of the picture. The engine would crank, but the ignition wouldn't catch. It was the ignition switch doing this. In the "run" position, I had 12v to the coil, but in the "start" position, the coil was starved of current. By the ignition switch.
79bugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

Ok, thank you zobyshoe and ashman for the responses.

I will conduct the test on the coil to see if I am getting 12V when the key is in the start position (as engine cranks) and will report back sometime tomorrow.

I don't have a helper today Sad

Also, thanks for the links for the ignition switch. I will order one tomorrow.

I came to the conclusion based on the "trouble shooting" link here http://www.type2.com/bartnik/starter.htm based on the following test...

Take your screwdriver or insulated pliers and short the big post with all the wires to it to the terminal on the solenoid where the ignition switch wire plugged in which will bypass the ignition switch and send full battery current directly to the solenoid. This should make the solenoid kick in and the engine should crank. (IT DID) If it cranks this way but not when you do the test in the paragraph above, then your solenoid works but it's either sticky or you have a big voltage drop when going through the ignition switch, possibly a dead ignition switch. The preceding parts of this test should have identified a bad ignition switch already, so if you've gotten this far and it works when you short the solenoid directly to battery power, you likely just have an old stick solenoid that needs a lot more current to activate than it's getting from the ignition switch. See below for your options.

I guess I did come to the wrong conclusion.

Thanks again!
79bugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

ignition switch just ordered from Jbugs

Very Happy
zoobyshoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

79bugman wrote:
ignition switch just ordered from Jbugs

Very Happy

I'm hoping for the best. This is absolutely what I would try on my car at this point.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

79bugman wrote:
Ok, thank you zobyshoe and ashman for the responses.

I will conduct the test on the coil to see if I am getting 12V when the key is in the start position (as engine cranks) and will report back sometime tomorrow.

Note that you likely won't have 12.6v at the coil while the engine is cranking, due to the load that the starter places on the battery the voltage will drop - the thing you're looking for is that it doesn't drop to the point where the coil doesn't work - which would most likely be just below 10v somewhere.
Bugman1970
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

" I MEASURE 2.69V AND NO CRANKING. "

Is that number correct?

Check the voltage at the #50 wire under the rear seat while turning the ignition key to the start position. Disconnect the terminal and check the wire coming from the ignition switch. If you're getting 12 volts or more at that point, the problem is not the ignition switch. If you get a low voltage reading at the starter solenoid while turning the ignition key to start position, the problem is between the #50 connector and the solenoid.

Run a jumper directly from the battery to the starter solenoid and see if it cranks. If it does you have a bad wire or connection between the #50 wire under the seat and the starter solenoid.

One other thing. It's possible that your battery has a bad cell. I've seen batteries that will test good at 12.5 volts or so, but they won't deliver enough amps through the system to spin the starter. That's usually an indicator of a bad cell in the battery. You can take the battery to an Advance auto store and they will load test it for you at no charge. Good luck.

Dennis
79bugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

OK....was finally able to get back to the car last night and tested the volts at the coil.

13.08V for the battery at the beginning.

I grounded my volt tester directly to the negative side of battery.

I had my helper turn key to "ON" position (lights on speedo come on) and have 12.89V at the wire on the coil.

I had my helper turn the key to"start" position and engine began cranking. Volt meter drops to anywhere between 10.28V and 10.38V with the engine cranking.

I did this test 3 times all with the same results.

I am going to put the ignition switch in sometime this week.

I will keep everybody posted.

if the ignition switch does not fix it, I will check dead cells in battery and go back to square 1.

Thanks again for everybody's help.
79bugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

Ok.... so I dont know what to call it so I will call it (the stubborn black thingy that holds the turn signal/wiper/key)

I have the following off/out
- steering wheel
- turn signal switch
- wiper switch
- small allen screw that is in the bottom
- 3 large connectors that attach to the back of this stubborn black thingy

and It wont come out!!!

how do I get this damn thing out, so I can replace the ignition switch Question
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring to coil Reply with quote

Picutures of black thingy might help...

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: