Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Beetle this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 261, 262, 263 ... 314, 315, 316  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

far rider wrote:
Body back on pan today with much help from my friend Matt. Separated in 1986 this slow, frequently interrupted process, is finally coming to a close.]

30 YEARS !!!!! Shocked Shocked
Thanks I needed that ; I've been frustrated lately that my project has been headed towards 3 years Crying or Very sad
Now I don't feel so bad Smile

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
sludge20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Squared away the 12 volt conversion. Had some fun installing the starter bushing in the 6 volt hole...got a stereo hooked up. Battling carburetor settings and an as of yet found exhaust leak. Rebuilt entire brake system. Drank beer.
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

A few weeks ago, my car's fuel gauge started remaining at the full level regardless of the amount of fuel in the tank. Rolling Eyes

Yesterday, I replaced the fuel tank sending unit (Brasilian stamped 1989) with a new one from WW and recalibrated the fuel gauge.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JonInAtl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Discovered that the reason my shifter had no relationship to the gear it was in was actually becuse the set-screw at the coupler was barely screwed in. Tightened it back up, put in a safety wire, and now I have an "H" pattern rather than a "wide-oval".

The bushings look brand new (I just bought the car on Saturday).

On to the next project: Why the clutch pedal actually leans slightly forward with miles of play (suspect the cable is out of adjustment).
Fred_e81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I finally got around to making a rear speaker tray and installed a 10 inch kicker bass station. This was my first speaker tray, what do you guys think?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Fred_e81 wrote:
what do you guys think?

I think I don't want to be sitting next to you at a traffic light listening to YOUR music . Razz Razz

Laughing It's an " old guy " thing Laughing

Nice car ! Good job . Wink

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Fred_e81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Grandpa Pete,

Thanks for the comment!! I was going for a nice sound not too boomy but not to plain Jane. Very Happy
JonInAtl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Fred_e81: Looks great!

Today I replaced the front shifter rod bushing in my '65.. it was missing.
Wow what a difference!
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

JonInAtl wrote:
Fred_e81: Looks great!

Today I replaced the front shifter rod bushing in my '65.. it was missing.
Wow what a difference!

Right? I did my '64 about a month or so ago. Its huge!

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
uglydog56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Finished adjustable front beam install. Replaced MY missing shifter bushing, too! Put a short shift kit on my shifter while I was in there. Replaced the emergency brake handle. Pulled the engine and installed the baffle plate under the alt stand that I didn't know needed to be there. Installed a deep sump. Ran the valves. Changed plugs and wires. Just need to replace the wiper motor and redo the power wire to my amp tomorrow, and I'll be back on the road!
buckyten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Just
My third week of ownership, today finished taking seats out and stripping down to spring frames, found a couple of broken springs, I guess I need to weld them. Also spent time working on the seat slides so they are smooth.
Last week stripped all the old carpet and applied Pors 15
    JimSP16
    Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Cool Cool Congrats Pete! I moved my Beetle to A friends Shop rented some space very cheap, anyway There's no help I can give you so Morning as I'm taking a research day out of the wrenching....can't get my 1500 started...tried everything so few questions for EVRYONE AND ANYONE . it's compression is at 120 psi all the way around. Is that to high? it's a fresh rebuild.timi.ng seems to be perfect set then set again AM I ABOUT to need to drop the engine again? should I do a complete maintance check of all tolerances? I've got plenty ....well more a lot more time and perfect conditions (lacking only in $$$ still I can squeeze 14cents out of a dime! it's Jim again asking for More HELP....But at least I'm better informed and have some experience after the rebuild. Thanks in advance for any input
    JIM
    AlteWagen
    Troll

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

noahtibbetts wrote:
    Started the mini-restore on my '64. I was gonna do the full with media blasting and complete body repair but that's a lot out of the price range. So I bought some replacement sheet metal parts to fix the bad areas, i.e. door pillars. Can anyone help me find some sheet metal for front quarter panel area. it's just in front of the door pillars as seen in the picture. Thanks in advance!

I was going to use these on my 64 but sold it before I could get to it. They are for earlier cars so the recess is missing and captive nut is different, easy to change if you need to

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1319323

not sure if you need the pillar repair also, again for earlier car so one hinge hole should be filled for factory correct.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1915699
    View user's profile Send private message Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
    JimSP16
    Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Very Happy GOT my fresh new rebuild fired up TODAY ...FINALLY ! IDLES great get some back fire when I raised the RPM's still some adjustments to make . but after all the stop then go work the final bit seemed to be the most difficult. MY BAD now that that 's free & over I'm just going to enjoy the ride awhile before I start on the minor paint repairs ...gotta save some nickels then get started on the 1st "look" Wink Very Happy Wink Wink
    DHMaher
    Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Installed a matching horn button from Steve AKA VW Horn Button Guy.
    http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=301475

Also installed a engine light with a mercury switch, wired to the taillight. And made a bracket to mount my AAA Connecticut badge. Bug is originally from CT.
    [/url]
    See my ads
    buckyten
    Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

ordered carpet set from Sewfine, 15pc hope its as good as it seems also ordered shift coupler oem from WW
    aog9354
    Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Replacing rear wheel cylinders, brake shoes, springs & axle seals on the 67. Its work in progress. The Grandsons are helping & learning. Fun times
    Faustling
    Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

What did I do this week? Well I purchased my first bug!!!
    1965 w/ sunroof. Now to make it mine. Very Happy
    That's my 14 Si in the back ground. Not surprisingly they handle differently. But this 65 will eventually leave it in the dust. hehe

dgas
    Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Replaced generator on my '64 type 1. A bit bigger job than I anticipated; toughest part was replacing the front engine tin after installing the engine. Replaced leaking swing axle boots & transmission oil. It's so much easier to get at the oil fill plug with the engine out. It's done & all is well.
    JimSP16
    Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Still trouble shooting...discovered generator needs rebuild, pulled it . sent core out (BOSCH)
    Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
    Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 261, 262, 263 ... 314, 315, 316  Next
    Jump to:
    Page 262 of 316

Jump to: