Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon Reply with quote

Just make sure you have the car well supported, and block the wheels that are still on the ground. These are fairly lightweight cars and easy to shift around - seem to recall reading a post where someone almost knocked their car off the jackstands when they grabbed the bumper to pull themselves out from under the car.
1972beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

Talked to John today. He recommends I get the steering rebuild kit. This kit is going to run 385.00 plus my 51.00 shipping. Is it worth it? I was thinking I only needed the bushings and joints since the "poles / rods" are all fine. I understand I would have to get my inner and outer tie rods as they are manufactured and one is not able to replace the joints in those. If this is possible it would lower my estimated part cost dramatically. Any comments?
1972beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon Reply with quote

I ordered the parts from TopLine today. Should be here next week. Once I take care of the front steering components and rear shocks, body bumps and fuel line. Is there anything else I need to do to this 72 VW SB to ensure I have a safe daily driver? Topline recommended I change the tires to stock wheel sizes but the tires on the vehicle have only about 20% life used. I was thinking I'll wait till these are used up before changing. any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Especially before I start driving my son and wife around in the car.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon Reply with quote

Make sure the tires have the reccommended air pres.sure . listed inside glovebox
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon Reply with quote

1972beetle wrote:
Hey Guys,

Talked to John today. He recommends I get the steering rebuild kit. This kit is going to run 385.00 plus my 51.00 shipping. Is it worth it? I was thinking I only needed the bushings and joints since the "poles / rods" are all fine. I understand I would have to get my inner and outer tie rods as they are manufactured and one is not able to replace the joints in those. If this is possible it would lower my estimated part cost dramatically. Any comments?

Is it worth it? ABSOLUTELY! In my experience, a Superbeetle front end has to be about 90-95% of new condition for everything to work properly. That being said, if you have one item like a bushing/tie rod/ball joint that's half worn out, and everything else new, you'll most likely still have issues. Do it all, and be done with it. Keep an eye on your tires as well. VW's allowable tire runout for a Superbeetle was .060, yes sixty thousandths. Even if your tires still have 80% of their tread, if they aren't litterally perfectly round, you still may have some issues. Also, start a maintenance record of what/when things were replaced. I started having issues with my Super a few years ago, and kept thinking to myself, "I replaced all that, why am I having issues". I then though to myself, it was in the mid 90's when I did the work! Stuff does wear out, and knowing when it was serviced will help with future/preventative maintenance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1972beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon Reply with quote

Great feedback. Ill Write down the date i did plugs and tune up last week. And start fresh with miles posted for bushings and tie ends and joints. I also got the rear gomlets, shocks, and body bumps. I went ahead and ordered there brass idle arm bushing and damper. I did get everything john mentioned. Im going to change the transmission lube when I do the front and rear parts. I cant find a service recommendation for the steering gear box. I know how to adjust the worm gear but is there a plug to grain oil and fill? I cant picture this being a grease only box.

.060 thread... I am shocked by this even on the semi trucks im allowed .02 on trailer amd.04 on tractor tires. Surprised a car requires more. John said i need to adjust the rear height to 19 degrees as that us the max it should be lowered and God only knows what the prior owner did.

Thank you for the comments.

Side note i noticed tonight when moving the car around the brake lights dont work and the dash has no lights would this be a fuse issue? If so where are the fuses i cant find a fuse box any where.
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon Reply with quote

1972beetle wrote:
... would this be a fuse issue? If so where are the fuses i cant find a fuse box any where.

Look on the left under the dashboard. #14 in the pic below...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon Reply with quote

The steering box is to be filled with gear oil, but since finding a new seal to use at the bottom of the shaft is getting very difficult, most do fill them with grease.

I'm of the opposite opinion of .060 run out. Having to diagnose issues with Superbeetle's, I've seen old flat spotted tires out of round over a 1/4 of an inch. I've had new tires trued for a Super that were out almost an 1/8 of an inch. So to me, .060 is very, very small. Makes me wonder though about the tolerance for truck tires, especially when you see them cooking down the interstate at 80mph with wobbly bent rims, and singing treads you can hear over the radio with the windows up.

For the wiring, the best bet is to get a Bentley repair manual, and start tracing the wiring. The brake lights could be a broken wire, or bad switch at the master cylinder. The dash lights could be the rheostat in the switch to change the brightness of the lights, or bad connections.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon Reply with quote

Our Super Beetles are so light in front that your front tires need to be as round as possible. Otherwise, you get a lot of vibration at 50-60 mph. Heavier cars have fewer issues with slightly out of round tires.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon Reply with quote

Why is there just 1 rear shock?

A shock is not a spring. A shock only controls the speed at which a spring or torsion bar loads and unloads. You have a shock with an added coil spring on one side and no shock on the other side. Confused
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon Reply with quote

1972beetle wrote:
.060 thread... I am shocked by this even on the semi trucks im allowed .02 on trailer amd.04 on tractor tires. Surprised a car requires more.

I am be misunderstanding what runout is, but aren't those numbers the maximum allowed, instead of a minimum requirement? To me .060 is a lot looser tolerance than for the truck tires.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon Reply with quote

Yes, those are maximum allowable limits. That meaning, for a 25 inch diameter tire, it must be 99.76% of being perfectly round down to a .001 of an inch. Considering I've seen new tires, on new rims not meet this spec., it's more than likely not going to be met by a classic car that may/maynot have sat long enough to flat spot the tires.
halimjimmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon Reply with quote

I have standard 1974 with rattle steering wheel. I need to know what I have to order from Jbugs or CIP1 to fix this problem?
Thank you
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon Reply with quote

I wonder what the resolution was to 1972beetles issues?

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon Reply with quote

?

1972beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon Reply with quote

Got the parts in stalled. Just pulled it out after the winter last week and looking at what i need to do now. Someone said i need to put tin in engine compartment
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon Reply with quote

So this photo is with the engine pulled away from the transaxle? Why is the fan Shroud in front of the intake manifold? Is it apart too in the photo? Humm Ok I see, I get it. It's not. That is not the body of the fan shroud in front of the single port intake manifold. It's the air supply for the heaters? Ok well I had my-self going over that.

So you have a single port engine in your 72, That is ok, that will work just got to wrap my thinking around it. So it means we can't assume anything about this engine. We don't know what Distributor it will have, What carb, What displacement? 1300, 1500, 1600. Your case Number I don't recognize either. One thing may be to look under the engine up toward the flywheel end and see if it's a dual oil pressure relief case?
Yes the front engine tin is missing. It will fill the area there. But if you don't have a dogHouse fanShroud you will need the Non Dog House front tin.
Look behind the fan shroud which is it? DogHouse or Non Dog House?

Here is a photo of someone else's engine showing the Dual Oil Pressure Valve near the flywheel, It's that big screw slot on the plug there.

Last edited by Danwvw on Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:28 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1972beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon Reply with quote

The hole in the back is the missing tin
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon Reply with quote

The Yellow fan shroud is what the single port engines had but your could have the doghouse still. Also shown is the front engine tin for a doghouse fan shroud that goes in front of the engine to completely seal the engine compartment.

1972beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose steering / hard thud / missing components in engine compon Reply with quote

I have no doghouse. I see 1 plug with the slot for a flat head screwdriver.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: