Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best product for Brake system flush
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brent'sGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Best product for Brake system flush Reply with quote

I have read that I can use Denatured alcohol to flush my brake system. Can anyone verify or suggest a better product to use?

Thanks, Brent
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Best product for Brake system flush Reply with quote

Brake fluid

brad
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Best product for Brake system flush Reply with quote

What he said. why complicate things?
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bug1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Best product for Brake system flush Reply with quote

Brent'sGarage wrote:
I have read that I can use Denatured alcohol to flush my brake system. Can anyone verify or suggest a better product to use?

Thanks, Brent

i just use plain brake fluid.
i just bleed each wheel till clean brake fluid comes out, i think thats enough to remove the crud and moisture if any, since brake fluid is quite corrosive anyway.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Best product for Brake system flush Reply with quote

bug1200 wrote:
I just use plain brake fluid.
i just bleed each wheel till clean brake fluid comes out, i think thats enough to remove the crud and moisture if any, since brake fluid is quite corrosive anyway.

This
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Best product for Brake system flush Reply with quote

Brent'sGarage wrote:

Thanks, Brent

Where did you hear this? I'm pretty sure doing that would destroy the rubber in the system. Just use brake fluid.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Best product for Brake system flush Reply with quote

Flushing for what?, just a fluid change?, or switching from DOT3 to DOT5?

Unless you are planning on opening each part of the system and blowing it out with compressed air clean new fluid as all you need. Let it drain overnight and refill in the AM, the act of bleeding will make sure there's new fluid everywhere and the flow will wash out the sediment.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
zoobyshoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Best product for Brake system flush Reply with quote

Autozone sells a 1 gallon container of brake fluid for $20. A person could flush out their brake system pretty well with that much.
Brent'sGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Best product for Brake system flush Reply with quote

I have always used clean brake fluid for a flush..Somewhere, I don't remember where, mentioned the denatured alcohol...sounded strange to me too, and I was worried especially about the rubber in the Master cylinder and calipers coming in contact with it. I spent a lot of money to make this right. I didn't want to do it unless it was the best idea.

Here's the deal: I now have gone completely through the brakes, new calipers, new Master cylinder, new reservoir, new hoses to MC...everything. The MC still has some contaminated fluid in it and is still in the car and I didn't want that to cause problems at my Varga calipers or else I was going back to drums again!

Again, thanks to all for the feedback Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: