Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'71 Squareback Fuel Injection Timing
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zoboe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: '71 Squareback Fuel Injection Timing Reply with quote

Ok, a little update on the old Sqaureback, also lovingly named rattler!
He starts and drives! Took all your amazing advise and the distributor drive was indeed placed totally wrong. When I removed it and popped it back in the right place rattler started almost straight away! So much for swapping the leads round eh?!
Anyways, I'll be giving my 'engine builders' a call on Monday to happily inform him he was completey wrong. Oh and rattlers now developed an unhealthy oil leak at the fan side, when I mentioned to the 'engine builder' I think it's got an oil leak as it's got a little drip just turning over, he said no it doesn't as nothing can leak at that end?! Well it turns out it can and its the cover for the oil pump! Pretty sure he should know that's there!
So rattler runs but poorly, have had a timing light on him but he seems to be running very rich, like choking up? Idle is lumpy and he splutters when you drive him, cuts out quite a bit too. So any advice on where to start there would be ace, I think the previous owner may have fiddled quite a bit with it as lots of plugs and wires where unplugged!
Cheers guys Very Happy
72squareguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: '71 Squareback Fuel Injection Timing Reply with quote

zoboe wrote:
He starts and drives! Took all your amazing advise and the distributor drive was indeed placed totally wrong. When I removed it and popped it back in the right place rattler started almost straight away! So much for swapping the leads round eh?!
Anyways, I'll be giving my 'engine builders' a call on Monday to happily inform him he was completey wrong. Oh and rattlers now developed an unhealthy oil leak at the fan side, when I mentioned to the 'engine builder' I think it's got an oil leak as it's got a little drip just turning over, he said no it doesn't as nothing can leak at that end?! Well it turns out it can and its the cover for the oil pump! Pretty sure he should know that's there!
So rattler runs but poorly, have had a timing light on him but he seems to be running very rich, like choking up? Idle is lumpy and he splutters when you drive him, cuts out quite a bit too. So any advice on where to start there would be ace, I think the previous owner may have fiddled quite a bit with it as lots of plugs and wires where unplugged!
Cheers guys Very Happy

Had the same problem with my squareback after I swaped it back over to the original F.I from dual carbs. Wouldn't start. After all, my dist drive gear was off about 2 teeth. Fixed it, fired right up!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: '71 Squareback Fuel Injection Timing Reply with quote

zoboe wrote:
Cheers guys Very Happy

There is whole range of items that can cause rich running....from temp sensor 1 and 2 not reading correctly or having poor connections at their plugs....to improper fuel pressure....to having low voltage supply to the EFI system....and most commonly...vacuum leaks cause rich running....leaks at the MOS cause rich running....poor wire harness grounds cause rich and variable running.....poor ignition can cause rich and variable running.

Start at the ignition....points, plugs, wires , cap, rotor, timing, advance.

Once all of that is verified....check fuel pressure and make sure its stable. Test the MPS and vacuum advance to make sure they do not leak vacuum,
Check ALL vacuum hoses and connections. Trim the ends off and clamp them, runner boots, injector seals, hoses to the rocker boxes, the plate and gasket on the back of the center intake manifold, intake gaskets between runners and heads, runner boots between runners and center intake manifold.......all of this must be perfect. No vacuum leaks allowed. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zoboe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: '71 Squareback Fuel Injection Timing Reply with quote

Another update due I reckon!
So the old boys getting better, having looked through similar post and taking rays advice (wow you know your aircooled fuel injection!), I found an issue with my trigger point and two injectors would fire well and often but the other two very intermittent. All cleaned up and I'm definately getting somewhere.
All the vacuum pipes, injector seals, points, plugs, cap, rotor, leads and fuel pipes where replaced when I built up the engine on return from the 'engine rebuilders' so I'm working through the electrics side. I've already checked fuel pressure and replaced the regulator so now have a steady 28psi, I no longer have nasty eye stinging fumes!
I'm finding a lot of loose plugs and closing them all up so they fit properly. I'm only getting a small bit of time to work on him each night but I'm noticing a small improvement with each fiddle! New earth straps next and waiting for a new fuel filter and condenser, after a quick test its not great. So getting there slowly Very Happy
Again, thanks for all your advice, you guys really do know your stuff Cool
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: '71 Squareback Fuel Injection Timing Reply with quote

Hi, I have a 69 fasty with fuel injection, that I have been putting back together (came with the engine out). When you put the distributor back in, did the vacuum can give you any issues? did you need to loosen the generator in order to get the distributor in? Also, the little line on the rim of the distributor that is supposed to be where #1 fires.....at what clock location is that line at (I've been told it should be at 4:00).

Thanks
T-roy
71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: '71 Squareback Fuel Injection Timing Reply with quote

7 O clock is #1
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: '71 Squareback Fuel Injection Timing Reply with quote

Thanks. Mine is also at 7:00 and seems to be running just fine.
71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: