Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Horn and turn indicator fixed
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Douglas A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Horn and turn indicator fixed Reply with quote

I know there are some other post out there. However let me tell you
what my problems were.
1) Horn not working at all
2) Horn going off when turning wheel
3) Right turn signal stop working left side working intermittently
4) New reproduction steering wheel rubbing against steering column

At first I put a spacer inside the column as the PO had, first a piece of
PVC. Then I got the correct snap ring still rubbing? Then I added a washer
fixed the rubbing issues. Also the turn indicator was new as well as the
steering wheel. The last one got stolen out of car, along with everything else including the engine. So for the horn not working, I replaced the steering wheel bushing that attaches to the horn contact inside column. Problem was the bearing was not seated all the way on the horn contact. That fixed the horn to work. Now its going off when turning, Do not cut corners for sure that washer I added inside the column had something to do with it? So you must determine the problem upstream in the horn button area or downstream inside the column or at the steering box. So I pulled the wheel, took off the turn indicator left it hanging on the side. Put it all back together, Works fine? So the turn indicator was grounding out on the steering wheel? First I had one of those 4 screws stripped out that holds indicator in. Could it not be sitting level? Also that washer does not belong inside there. The top part of the steering column is replaceable so off to the junkyard because of the stripped screw. Also readjusted the new column still rubbing? Also the guy at the Junkyard gave me another indicator to test because mine new one got destroyed trying to figure out why it was working intermittently. So the Problem was, I forgot I rebuilt the
steering box! The steering shaft was pushed down to far on the steering
box, go figure! No more washer inside column, no more rubbing of the steering wheel. Also order a new indicator, installed no problems at all!
here is a great wire schematic for your turn indicator, very simple one.
http://www.oldvolkshome.com/6870turnswitcht1_OVH.pdf
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: