Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Making this my daily
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gabbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Making this my daily Reply with quote

Hey there, hows it going guys? I've been a big VW nut for about 6 years now. My first car was a 73 bay I saved from a field, then played in the water-cooled world for a bit, last year around this time I saved a 71 squareback, then joined the military. I have a 72 standard bug now, that has gotten a lot done to it in the past 5 months. It sat in a garage for at least 15 years. Anyway, about the 412...

I'm getting stationed from Chicago to San Diego. VW heaven, if the VW Gods didn't answer my prayers to that one... Not taking the bug with me, it's staying at a friend's in Wisconsin until I haul it home to Nebraska. So this 412, I've never owned a 412. Always thought they were cool, I've only seen one in person back in 2010. I've been eye balling it for awhile now, and told the owner for the past month if it was still for sale by the time I got to California that I'd snag it up, well I leave for California soon and it's still for sale.

I've never had anything with Macphearson suspension, but want to do crazy work and bag it. My boyfriend is also in stationed in San Diego (he drives a 71 bug), and was a body guy, so he'll be my go to...and wanting to bag it too. I know the UK does it from time to time. But, it will probably be spring before anything really fun begins. Until then, I'm just gonna tidy her up, throw discs on, fix a few things that need to be done, and just drive the piss out of it.

Tell me what I need to know about these cars, the good and bad. What are some good sites, build threads, tips and tricks, etc.

Take care,
Gabbs

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Omaha VW Club Secretary
Love, Peace, VW grease
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Making this my daily Reply with quote

Give me a couple of days to get in to this with you!....and welcome! Very Happy

First....and the only time I will really touch on this......bagging this car would make it a wreck. Its not a beetle or a type 3. Totally different car in almost every way. Its already very low and can get a good bit lower.....but it has limits.

Have only seen one bagged 412.....and it was a POS. It will be virtually undrivable.

But there are a lot of things that need to be done to make the car a daily.....and also to keep it from destroying parts that are not really replaceable. You will need to fabricate a bit......but nothing too hard.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danno5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Making this my daily Reply with quote

Welcome! I'm going to give you the new guy outlook, so take what I say with that in mind. I have been an owner for all of eight days.

Internet resources: All of the regulars on here are great, but Ray is an especially good resource. Do a search on here for his DIYs and then go over to shoptalkforums and do the same.

That's my 2 euros on the subject. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: