Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
68fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Here's what should be a simple question: Hah!
I have a 2WD Diesel Westy with a 1.9TD (no intercooler) and aircooled tranny.
I'm going to run CLK's and have to choose between 2 tire sizes as far as I can tell.
Which one do you folks think would be a good choice for getting down the road?
Paved road that is.

205-65-16 or 215-60-16 ?

I'm leaning towards the 65 series cause I don't want to go too wide but I'm worried about going too tall and not having the power to make them spin up long grades.
Wadda ya think?

Thanks for the help.
geodude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I have 205/65R16 on mine (EJ22 with 140 hp) and they work well. You only have about half that HP so I'd want a smaller diameter tire.
scott eickstaedt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Put a set of the R18 Hankooks on my 14 inch rims a few weeks back and I'm really impressed with how quiet they run compared to the Vredestine's that they replaced. The ride quality also seems pretty solid in the wind here.So far so good although clearly in the snow they won't compare. Smile
68fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

geodude wrote:
I have 205/65R16 on mine (EJ22 with 140 hp) and they work well. You only have about half that HP so I'd want a smaller diameter tire.

I went with the 215 60 16 having a 99 load rating.
So far, so good.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I'm about ready to embark upon a TDI swap in my Bluestar, and would like to stuff the largest diameter tire I can in there, while still initially using the stock Carat height springs. I have staggered 16" SLK rims with 7" ET37 (now ET23 w/spacers to fit the Jaguar brakes) up front and 8" ET30 in the rear.

I'm currently running 205/55/16 up front and 225/50/16 in the rear.

I gather that 215/70/16 and 225/70/16 are probably the tallest I can possibly fit in there. I have an Eastwood fender roller and would be willing to shave the LCAs in the rear if needed.

If those sizes are a no-go, I may need to budget for lifted springs, but I'm not sure I'm ready to take that leap quite yet

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

205 60 R16 or 215 60 R16?

Which for my 1.9? Should the slower tire concern me? We do live in hilly terrain but we mostly do shorter trips in the Van. She's an 84 Tin Top that runs really well, but a 1.9. Never overly loaded.

Help! New rim purchased and T3 parts for the fit on the way.

Thanks!
geodude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

The 205/60R16 is likely the way to go. The total diameter is almost identical to stock 185R14 so you wouldn't see a change on your overall gearing. The sidewalls are a bit short, but for hard surface driving its fine. The 215s will likely make a noticeable change to drive-ability with a 1.9. But its only about 1.9% difference diameter from stock size so likely not that noticeable. You do loose sidewall height over stock, so rocky roads may become a concern.
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Thank you!
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Great post, and super useful

I am currently running the standard gowesty 15" wheels 215/65/15 michelin tires.

Full Westy Syncro, usually loaded down with a full family as well as mountain bikes etc.

OME shocks, stock springs. stock engine

I'd like to make my rig a little more off road capable while retaining as close to the current diameter as I can given that my engine is still stock

Based on this thread my choices K02, AT2 and Geolanders

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I like the idea of Geolanders and AT2 since they are lighter tires and probably a slightly better on road option where I will be spending 95% of my time. Having said that if we use the .9 multiplier the weights appear to be below what I would be driving...

So I guess the question is - has there been a determination whether the .9 multiplier is necessary given these are Truck/SUV tires (even though they are SL rated) and does anyone here any feedback using these tires in a heavy Syncro Westy...
Vanhalla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Check out the Nokian Rotiiva A/T. I'm thinking about giving them a try. They look to be a big more aggressive than the Geolandar and have a higher weight rating.

https://www.instagram.com/bjornthebus/

Parts wanted/needed - A high top. CLK wheels. A weekender rear cabinet and head banger.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

baltik wrote:
I am currently running the standard gowesty 15" wheels 215/65/15 michelin tires.

Full Westy Syncro, usually loaded down with a full family as well as mountain bikes etc.

OME shocks, stock springs. stock engine

I'd like to make my rig a little more off road capable while retaining as close to the current diameter as I can given that my engine is still stock

Based on this thread my choices K02, AT2 and Geolanders
So I guess the question is - has there been a determination whether the .9 multiplier is necessary given these are Truck/SUV tires (even though they are SL rated)...

It depends how heavy your van is. Rear Axle Max Rating is 3000 lbs. Max Van weight is 5500 lbs. If you are above that, I would go with the BFGs. Technically, the derating regulation was implemented as an additional safety margin and the way it was written it applies only to tires "primarily intended for use on passenger cars". So it does not apply to Geolanders and the Grabbers, but in practice, especially with a full family on board, you may want an additional safety margin. Tire makers rate their own tires, so a quality brand is important too. The Geolander is a good tire. If you are not overloading your van, they would be o.k. and would be a step up in safety from the GW tires you have now. The only downside to the KO2s is they will rob a little bit more power. They are even better in the snow than the Geolanders and better off road as well. It is an awesome all around Syncro tire.

The Rotiiva mentioned doesn't have any 15" sizes that will work.
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Appreciate the feedback - I am open to 16" wheels as well since I'm not particularly fond of the gowesty look. The 215/65/16 rotiiva could be an interesting alternative to the geolander given the XL rating.

Hard to say how heavy we travel - I suppose we aren't really bringing anything that a typical family of 4 takes on vacation, just not sure what that translates to in lbs...
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

If you want a stock sized tire, someone recently pointed out the MIchelin Defender LTX M/S comes in a stock size 205/65-15 XL which is a little bit smaller than what you have now and that size is a 99 XL. I usually look at Trerack specs just to see how big/small a particular size is.

The Defender (looks similar but a different tire from the LTX) comes in a 205/70-15 with a 98 rating. That is a little bigger than what you have now though as most of the choices will be. I am a big fan of Michelin tires, very smooth and quiet, high quality and long lasting.

Nokian has the Entyre that comes in a 205/65XL and 205/70 XL 99+ ratings. Pretty similar tread all season tire to the ones above.

Besides the Rotiiva 16", The BFG KO2 comes in 215/65-16 which is almost an inch smaller than the 215.75-15 if you are really considering switching wheels. IMO, Many of the 16" wheels dont' fit as good as the 15", they are wider with too low an offset so they stick out up front. A used set of CLK 16" forged alloys would be nice though if you go that way.
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
If you want a stock sized tire, someone recently pointed out the MIchelin Defender LTX M/S comes in a stock size 205/65-15 XL which is a little bit smaller than what you have now and that size is a 99 XL. I usually look at Trerack specs just to see how big/small a particular size is.

The Defender (looks similar but a different tire from the LTX) comes in a 205/70-15 with a 98 rating. That is a little bigger than what you have now though as most of the choices will be. I am a big fan of Michelin tires, very smooth and quiet, high quality and long lasting.

Nokian has the Entyre that comes in a 205/65XL and 205/70 XL 99+ ratings. Pretty similar tread all season tire to the ones above.

Besides the Rotiiva 16", The BFG KO2 comes in 215/65-16 which is almost an inch smaller than the 215.75-15 if you are really considering switching wheels. IMO, Many of the 16" wheels dont' fit as good as the 15", they are wider with too low an offset so they stick out up front. A used set of CLK 16" forged alloys would be nice though if you go that way.

Since you've run both the k02s and the Rotiivas can you comment on their noise/road manners? I have no doubt that the k02 is superior in actual offroad applications, I'm just trying to get a better understanding of what I would actually be gaining with the Rotiivas...
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

baltik wrote:

Since you've run both the k02s and the Rotiivas can you comment on their noise/road manners? I have no doubt that the k02 is superior in actual offroad applications, I'm just trying to get a better understanding of what I would actually be gaining with the Rotiivas...

The BFG in that small 16" size is a D load tire. And like all small high load tires, it needs to be inflated to carry a lot of weight. At 40/44 I thnk they are a bit harsh on roads cracks and washboards. Not bad, but noticable and some inside the van rattles more. I tend to keep them as low as I think I can safely get away with to compensate.

The smallest 15" BFG is a bigger tire and doesn't need to be pumped up as much to carry the same weight. The last set of 15" BFGs I really appreciated how they soaked up the washboards and were not loud relative to the van noise. I think the people that say they get loud may have alignment issues, but I've never actually had a set I wore all the way down either.

I noticed more slipping with the Rotiivas going up gravel trails. The fill up more with mud IIRC. On good roads they are smooth. They are both good tires. I think it might come down to which one offers the closest size to what you want. But if you are considering 215/65-16 since both tires come in that size, it might come down to how tough a tire you want. Other factors include Nokians cost less and BFG have better winter traction. I'm really glad they offer the BFG in that size. My only complaint is that they made it a heavy D load tire, when a normal LT load range C would be perfect. No one is going to be pumping those tires up to 65 psi and anything heavier than our vans is not going to be riding on tires that small.
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Thanks for that - since the 15" k02's are a 75 tire with a larger diameter I am focusing on the 215/65/16 tires to prevent my stock Syncro Westy from becoming even slower up hills. So in your view the Rotiivas aren't meaningfully quieter or better on the highway aside from the slightly harsher ride due to the increased pressure?
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

baltik wrote:
Thanks for that - since the 15" k02's are a 75 tire with a larger diameter I am focusing on the 215/65/16 tires to prevent my stock Syncro Westy from becoming even slower up hills. So in your view the Rotiivas aren't meaningfully quieter or better on the highway aside from the slightly harsher ride due to the increased pressure?
Probably not. The BFG KO2 is hard to beat IMO.
jlw123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

SUMITOMO HTR A/S P02 in 215 60 R16 99V XL work great as replacements on GoWesty 16" wheels. $68 on Tirerack.

1500mi on them. Take side drafts and passing trucks a little more squirrelly than then the prior Michelins but I got used to it and can trust them.

Needed 50 miles to settle down and rub off the slick stuff.

Mostly dry conditions, a few slick roads. No heavy rain.

Full Westy GL camper.
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

SUMITOMO HTR A/S P02 came on my old 2wd van, I found them downright scary in crosswinds and near big trucks, Since I had no point of reference I just assumed all Vanagons were like that, my next van (this time a syncro) came with the standard 15" defenders and is SIGNIFICANTLY less sketchy in crosswinds. I realize that the 2 vans have other difference so this isn't apples to apples but I am convinced the tires played a major role....
jlw123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

baltik wrote:
SUMITOMO HTR A/S P02 came on my old 2wd van, I found them downright scary in crosswinds and near big trucks, Since I had no point of reference I just assumed all Vanagons were like that, my next van (this time a syncro) came with the standard 15" defenders and is SIGNIFICANTLY less sketchy in crosswinds. I realize that the 2 vans have other difference so this isn't apples to apples but I am convinced the tires played a major role....

What size and wheel for the sumitomos? I didn't realize defenders were standard on a synchro. I had the hydroedge and can not tell much difference.

Around 2000miles thus far and very happy.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 57

Jump to: