Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Top Wont Go Down All the Way
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamsuperman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: Top Wont Go Down All the Way Reply with quote

I just purchased a '73 convertible and am trying to figure out how to get the top down all the way. I've put all my weight on it and folded and tucked and pushed and it still seems too high. i can't see out the rear view mirror. as far as i can tell there are no 'locking catches' on either side as described in the owners manual.

Its a new top and am wondering if it might have too much padding in it? has anyone else experienced this?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Top Wont Go Down All the Way Reply with quote

Hard to say for sure, but does look like there's a lot of padding there, and as you say it is new, so could well be the problem.
Maybe repeatedly opening and shutting the roof will pack it down a little better?
Even if you don't have the hold down catches, probably better to have something, even a strap or bungee to stop the roof bouncing around.

Nice looking Ghia btw, welcome to TheSamba! Very Happy

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
trelms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Top Wont Go Down All the Way Reply with quote

Mine does the same. push at this bow and see if it releases. then push it all the way down and clip the retainers

you have a rear glass window correct?

iamsuperman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Top Wont Go Down All the Way Reply with quote

trelms wrote:
Mine does the same. push at this bow and see if it releases. then push it all the way down and clip the retainers

you have a rear glass window correct?

It worked!!!!!!!! WOOOOOO!
thank you.
iamsuperman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Top Wont Go Down All the Way Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal thanks. yes, a new obsession.
trelms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Top Wont Go Down All the Way Reply with quote

AWESOME!

I was worried it was something else.

Enjoy the car! looks nice.
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Top Wont Go Down All the Way Reply with quote

This is not how the top should work.

What you likely have is that someone forgot to put the elastic straps on that bow (or did not know they were needed) when they installed the new top. The elastic straps do not come with the top kits. Its something you need to purchase and do during the installation. If you look at the instructions for a top installation in the stickies you will see them sewn in during installation. I put them in when doing my top. You can purchase the material at a craft or fabric store for a few bucks.

This problem can also can happen to an old top as over time the elastic can stretch or break. The elastic pulls the bow back as the top is folded.

There is no easy fix. You have to remove the outer skin of the top to fix it which would likely ruin the outer skin. Its probably something you will learn to live with.
trelms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Top Wont Go Down All the Way Reply with quote

good to know. I'm pretty sure mine is original and just worn out.

Ps that's not my car in the picture I made. Smile
iamsuperman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Top Wont Go Down All the Way Reply with quote

thanks, yes i'm going to live with it as well.
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Top Wont Go Down All the Way Reply with quote

Here is the relevant image from Ghia Addict's post (Page 2) in the stickies to give you an idea. Why this elastic does not come with the top kits is beyond me.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/628143.jpg
68GhiaNamedStella
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Top Wont Go Down All the Way Reply with quote

I've got the same issue with my '68 Ghia. The previous owner installed a new top and I've seen the top all the way. Since the purchase, I get to about the same angle as the above car, and its stuck.

How do you push on the area shown in the diagram? Down, back? gently or give it a little muscle? Is the outcome just to get it to bow outward? I've been gingerly with it as I don't want to break something.

Thanks for the assist.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Top Wont Go Down All the Way Reply with quote

I had that same problem with my old 1997 Audi Cabriolet, only it was a standard (non-elastic) strip of webbing that was attached to the rib and had broken loose.

On that car the rib could rotate partially, and would hit a hard stop when the top reached the fully closed position.
After the strap broke free, the rib would stay forward up against that stop instead of rotating back when the top went down.

I found that I was able to reach my hand in between the layers of the top from the side and rotate that rib back whenever I wanted to put the top down.

Having never owned a Karmann Ghua Cabriolet, I'm not sure if the rib moves in the same fashion, or if you can reach in between the layers from the side in the same way, but it's worth it try.
68GhiaNamedStella
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Top Wont Go Down All the Way Reply with quote

I can reach in through the sides, so I'll give it a try tonight. I believe the top was replaced without the strapping which is the problem. It's likely it rotates as you said. Keep you posted. Thank you!
theghiagirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Top Wont Go Down All the Way Reply with quote

You never want to use all of your weight to force down a convertible top frame. I have seen quite a few top frames bent, broken or damaged because a piece of the frame gets stuck and the owner tries to force it down...there is no easy fix once the frame gets damaged. It's the intermediate bow that sometimes gets stuck and needs a little help when folding the top down. The intermediate bow is supposed to pivot on the top frame. If you put your hand on the headliner where the previous posted picture says "push here," you should be able to feel the intermediate bow, push back on the intermediate bow as you're beginning to fold the top down and it should pivot backwards and fold down with the rest of the frame. You should also be able to see the intermediate bow from the side as stated by KGCoupe. His method will also work and it will help you understand how the frame operates when you can actually see the frame pieces and how they all work together.

Here's a great video video that shows how the top frame works. If you watch it from about the 9 minute 30 second point to 11 minutes 30 seconds you'll see exactly how the intermediate bow is supposed to work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Bw4zg_72g

Here's another link that might help. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=574861&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Top Wont Go Down All the Way Reply with quote

Or you can do what I do... never put it down! : (

Then why have a vert Ghia? Well, I got this baby via my Dad, so no say in the matter.

But really, I have no idea in Dallas who could redo it for me. It's in very good shape, so I don't want to hasten it's wear and degradability.

Installing a new one myself would require a serious amount of "psyching up" to do it. GL.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Top Wont Go Down All the Way Reply with quote

You gotta love it when the ladies are still having to teach the guys how to get the tops down. Twisted Evil

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Top Wont Go Down All the Way Reply with quote

bhartwell59 wrote:
Or you can do what I do... never put it down! : (

Then why have a vert Ghia? Well, I got this baby via my Dad, so no say in the matter.

But really, I have no idea in Dallas who could redo it for me. It's in very good shape, so I don't want to hasten it's wear and degradability.

Installing a new one myself would require a serious amount of "psyching up" to do it. GL.

Actually I think you have it reversed. Its the UV light that will kill the top more than anything else. Having it down won't hurt it at all. Get a nice boot cover and make sure the snap catches are securing the top when its down ,and go out and enjoy the wind in your hair.
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Top Wont Go Down All the Way Reply with quote

bhartwell59 wrote:
Greg's youtube videos are very helpful, as are the posts by Vince when he was still around. Back in 2004 I searched and came across a VHS video advertised on craigslist, and it gave me all the "psyching up" I needed to replace the top on my '71. I tried digitizing the tape but was unable to reduce the size sufficiently to share via DVD or the internet Brick wall If you're serious about doing it yourself and still have a VHS player PM me.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: