Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

another boring picture-less update... Embarassed

spent the afternoon in the deepest of the earth (underground garage, where I keep the bug) assessing the brake system with the help of my father and my sister's boyfriend. We concluded we can live with the modded reservoir and mounting it on the master cylinder would have been a lot of work without solving any actual issue.

I still have all the parts both for this and for returinig the reservoir to stock so if I change my mind I know where to look.

The fluid is however black as tar and due for a change, so next week will hopefully be brake bleeding time.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Time to bump this thread. This past weekend I was at a car show held at Fort Wellington (Prescott, Ontario). Fort Wellington was built as part of Britain's defense (of Canada) from America in 1812.

After the show I was allowed to bring my car up the embankment to take a picture of my car with the Union Jack flying in the background. Now I have 3 pictures of my car with three different flags flying nearby:
Fort Wellington:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stittsville, Ontario:

Ogdensburg New York:

1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

The plan with our german-mexican beetle is to get it on the road first, enjoy it this summer, and then get it painted and replace the ragtop.
Today was the day to get the bug through Dutch safety inspection.
Brake test:

After the other tests (bearings, ball joints, lights etc):

And it passed! Very Happy

The last time the floorpan of this beetle passed safety inspection was in 1999, so it's on the road again after 17 years. Shocked

I celebrated by taking a little tour. And when it stopped raining I could even open the roof.

And finally I too could take a nice picture of our beetle, just like Hopkin makes of his: Cool

(no, that's not my house!! Laughing )

It's been raining a lot lately in the Netherlands, hopefully it will become a little more sunny, so we can enjoy the car.

Last edited by Gerrelt on Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Good news, glad to see your car back on the road again.
Great pictures, love those rims!

Take more pics, don't be shy!
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Thanks, it was fun to drive a beetle engined beetle again!

If I compare the 1996 beetle to the 1973 1300 standard beetle I once owned, the 1996 is pretty luxurious. The fuel injected engine runs smooth, the seats are great, the windshield wiper interval is very handy, I even like the Golf/Polo type steering wheel.

And I've added some bling. It now sports a chrome hood handle, chrome headlight rings, chrome door handles, chrome rear engine lid latch and a VW_1300 badge.
The hood handle and the badge came originally from the aforementioned 1973 1300 beetle.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Gerrelt wrote:
... the windshield wiper interval is very handy...

For added driving comfort, swap out your wiper relay with a 'B' version:

Washer/Wiper Relay with changeable interval (0.5 ... 20s) - 1HM 955 531 B

Comfort Interval - Programmable Wiper Relay

Operation:
Turn the wiper switch to the intermittent position then turn it to off. The wiper will wipe once. When you need the wiper to wipe again, you place the wiper switch to intermittent and leave it there. It will remember the time interval and repeat the wipe at this interval. To change the interval, just turn to off (wiper will wipe) and then turn back to intermittent position to set the new time interval. The relay is reset to a 6 second default interval when ignition is turned off.

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Wow, that's cool! I never knew that existed, thanks for the tip.
I will add this to my wish-list. Smile

It's a nice hidden feature just like the comfort indicator function on a lot of VW's.
You know, push indicator stalk down or up once, and it blinks thrice.
I want that for my bugs too.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Gerrelt wrote:
Wow, that's cool! I never knew that existed, thanks for the tip.
I will add this to my wish-list. Smile

It's a nice hidden feature just like the comfort indicator function on a lot of VW's.
You know, push indicator stalk down or up once, and it blinks thrice.
I want that for my bugs too.

Mmm... didn't know about that one, maybe just a relay swap like the wipers. I'll do some research.

I put the 'B' version (above) in my car when I first got it. Works great, I found it on eBay ($20). Do not get the 'C' version, it will not work with our car.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:

Mmm... didn't know about that one, maybe just a relay swap like the wipers. I'll do some research.

That didn't take long ...

000953227A, the Komfortblinker flasher, used on VW's sold in Germany.

I'll have to check to see if the pinout is the same, if so the search begins!

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

I believe you can get an adapter cable or something, to use this original relay for the comfort indicators.
But there are also some universal kits available.
Be aware, with the universal kits, the indicator indicator ( Laughing ) light in the speedo doesn't blink while it's doing its three-times-blink.

I don't know if that is the same with the standard VW relay.

I dove into the wiring of this, and it's pretty hard to make the indicator blink in the speedo, when the car has only one light for both left and right. Like our beetles have.
It's a lot easier when there is a a seperate light for left and right.

I've discussed this on the 1600i.com forum, see:
http://forum.1600i.de/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1429

My Skoda has this functionality, and it is very handy. After driving the Skoda for a while I mis it in my beetle.
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

hopkin, IIRC the stock relay for a mexi (VW 191 relay) has three prongs. that in your pic appears to have four...
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:

The fluid is however black as tar and due for a change, so next week will hopefully be brake bleeding time.

aaaand... I DID IT! it helps to have a father and a cousin around, though. Laughing

btw, the blackness came only from the front circuit... it appears 5 years ago the vw shop that re-did my rear brakes did a half-job.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Well done, Garba! And? Does it also brake better now?
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

we quick-tested it getting the bug in and out the garage, the pedal il smoother but not spongy, and the braking action feel a lot less vague than before. we didn't try it at speed as we were all quite dirty and tired: that would be a job for next week.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

I've been using the iClever device now for a couple months and it has worked flawlessly:

I've travelled through some of the most FM congested areas (near me), without any interference from any FM stations. Well, I am using a frequency below the North America FM band Very Happy .

I was tweaking my song list on my laptop yesterday and realized that I can now make some approximate calculations. Since the iClever only broadcasts when the ignition is on, I know how many hours I've driven (it plays all the songs, one after another, in order). All I had to do was right click and do a properties from the first song to the current song to see how many hours I've been driving.

I didn't note my mileage when I installed the iClever device, but I have an approximation.

So, since May 23 I've driven ~3800 km, 52 hours of driving at an average of 73 km/hr.

Maybe I should slow down, or spend less time on the highway and more time on the back roads.

But who can drive slow, when the open road is ahead:

(407, toll road north of Toronto, expensive, but a nice highway)
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Gerrelt wrote:
I believe you can get an adapter cable or something, to use this original relay for the comfort indicators.
But there are also some universal kits available.
Be aware, with the universal kits, the indicator indicator ( Laughing ) light in the speedo doesn't blink while it's doing its three-times-blink.

I don't know if that is the same with the standard VW relay.

I dove into the wiring of this, and it's pretty hard to make the indicator blink in the speedo, when the car has only one light for both left and right. Like our beetles have.
It's a lot easier when there is a a seperate light for left and right.

I've discussed this on the 1600i.com forum, see:

My Skoda has this functionality, and it is very handy. After driving the Skoda for a while I mis it in my beetle.

I've been thinking about the KomfortBlinker and the wiring set up shown on Gerrelt's link:

I read the thread using Google Translate (which is terrible, especially my favorite: "Muss ich noch mal in Ruhe durchdenken." to "Do I have time to think through in peace .")

Anyways, as I see the schematic, hooking the KomfortBlinker in 'parallel' to the emergency flasher switch will achieve the desired results with the exception of the indicator on the speedo does not light up.

As I understand the circuit, please correct me if I'm wrong, when the KomfortBlinker relay is engaged it creates the 'flash' signal, bypassing the original flasher relay. It is a backwards circuit (compared to the Beetle circuit) as the signal to KomfortBlinker to engage is the L or R pins.

By momentarily holding down the turn signal switch, a signal is sent to the KomfortBlinker to engage that 'side' for 3 flashes. In the Beetle, 49a engages the flasher and the circuit is complete through the turn signal switch.

When KomfortBlinker is engaged, the 49a circuit is not complete (as the turn signal switch is not held down), so the indicator on the dash does not light up (although it may light up for the moment the turn signal is engaged).

Using diodes (on the L or R signals) to create the 'flash' effect on the speedo light won't work as the speedo light is pulled to ground, while the turn signal lights are pulled to positive. Two relays in combination with three diodes might work.

The diodes would have to
a) isolate the new circuit from the pin 49a on the original Beetle flasher
b) isolate the left circuit
c) isolate the right circuit

Two relays, one per side to complete the circuit to ground for the speedo light. This would have the effect of the speedo light flashing at the same time as the turn signal lights, instead of alternating (only when KomfortBlinker is engaged).

One thing that puzzles me is the effect on using the VW signal as usual. What effect does a constant input signal (on L or R) have on the KomfortBlinker?

I'll see if I can modify Gerrelt's circuit to show my thinking and post later on.

Comments, please.......
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Hi Hopkin,

I've been away on holiday in GArBA's country Cool , which is the reason for this late reply.

Yes, I think that's exactly how it works.
I too started to create an alternative wiring for making the indicator light flash. I even drawed it in the schematics above. But when I was done I discovered it had a flaw, and probably wouldn't work.
I will send you the diagram via a personal message, as I don't want to spread faulty diagrams on the internet.

In the end I decided it might be easier to convert he indicitator light to a seperate left and right signal, using two small (bright) led's.

Greetings,
Gerrelt.
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Gerrelt wrote:
...I've been away on holiday in GArBA's country Cool...

Hope you had a good time. Where have you been in Italy?

re the comfort indicators, I'm thinking a set up which does away with the original flasher entirely would be a more elegant solution, unfortunately family and work are reducing my beetle time a lot. I'll be on vacation in the next weeks so I'll draw something as soon as I can.

ps. today I was finally able to go out with my father for a proper brakes' test run; we alternated at driving and drove both in town and on the motorway (remember how much he likes to take the bug's wheel... I think it brings him back to the cars he drove in his youth), and I'm proud to confirm that the action of the front discs and the pedal response both have improved a lot. Cool
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
Gerrelt wrote:
...I've been away on holiday in GArBA's country Cool...

Hope you had a good time. Where have you been in Italy?

First we've been to Venice (or, properly: Venezia) for 5 days. We stayed at a camping on Punta Sabbioni, which was very close to the boat to Venice. We visited Venice for two days, and Murano for one day. And the last day we went to the beach.
I can highly recommend camping Miramare, it was well organized, friendly people and close to the boat and beach which can be reached by a very short bus ride (tickets for the bus are free from the camping).
After that we went 100 km to the north, and stayed in Arsie, on a camping on the shore of lake Corlo (Lago Del Corlo). There we almost only relaxed to recover from the busy Venice. We mostly spend our days swimming in the lake. Cool

Have I been near your hometown? Smile

GArBa wrote:

re the comfort indicators, I'm thinking a set up which does away with the original flasher entirely would be a more elegant solution,

Yeah, that would be ideal. There is a standard VW relay that might be a replacement, but I don't know if it will be a direct fit (probably not). And you might encounter the same problem with the indicator light. I think the Golf always had a separate left and right indicator light.

GArBa wrote:

and I'm proud to confirm that the action of the front discs and the pedal response both have improved a lot. Cool

That's good news! Cool
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Gerrelt wrote:

Have I been near your hometown? Smile

not really but you've been pretty close to my wife's family's town of origin (Cismon del Grappa) Smile
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Page 29 of 192

Jump to: