Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Broken hood cable
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
williamkastner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Broken hood cable Reply with quote

Saturday the hood cable broke, inside the trunk! Any ideas on how to get the hood open? there is no cable left to grab. Any wat to pick it out from the front?
Thanks
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: BROKEN HOOD CABLE Reply with quote

I read somewhere that your best bet is to remove the hood hinge screws and with a helper, rotate the hood forward so you can get at the mechanism. I haven't had to do that myself, knock wood.
man130
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Capt. has the right idea depending where the cable broke(how much came out w/pull handle) you only have to lift the back of the hood high enough to reach your arm in and grab cable tube ,cut tube pull cable .You will have to repair/replace cable tube ,but no chance to damage hood or gasket lip this way.But if it broke at latch then your back to spinning hood trick
Eric Goodman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was broke when I got my car so I had someone pull up on the hood while I used a small wrench and unscrewed the bolts that hold the hood latch. When it came off I could open the hood. I had to do this a few time as the hood got closed again while we were working on it... Hope this helps. Good luck! Eric
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j5josher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well atleast your hood is stuck down... i have the windshield out and the hood latch broke... driving down road forgot to strap it down... it flew up and wacked me in the fu###king head.... ouch.....

so be gratful...
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: the hood latch cable Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

once you fix it............. as I just replaced mine a few weeks ago,

I noticed my orginal cable end was bent in a sharp 90degree angle after the screw (where it bites in the cable to hold it) by the catch latch. I'm guessing the bend keeps the cable from pulling out if the screw slips.

Of course the old one broke upon trying to straighten it to remove, my little metal piece on the pull handle (so you could put a lock in it) was missing; hence the replacement.

on the replacement, I managed to just bend the last inch or so in a 90degree bend, so if the screw slips the bend will catch and actually open the hood release before pulling free.

I bent the last inch or so incase I had to remove later, and it broke on me, I would have some left to put a bend in as a secondary catch.

Reminder to all, Grease that sucker good, any rust as my old one had some can cause a cable break, I lubed this joker good with some spray thread ease, made a mess but she's slick as goose sh*t now.

Just my 2cents, hope it helps ya.

T.
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
thingcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: hood Reply with quote

Hey old buddy it is me. Best way I found is to remove hood hinge screws if you can. Impact driver. Good Luck on getting it fixed.

Tee
7thing3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading this post made me look into my own hood release setup. It has always been a bit dodgy and sometimes requires holding the handle all the way out while working the hood. I was worried I was going to not be able to get into it the one time I really needed something in there.

Turns out my main problem was the spring and retainer were upside down. This image is from the Thing Shop--mine has a metal retainer where their's is plastic--but in mine the part that is white was flipped around and against the adjusting nut that is barely visible where the spring hits the top. Someone must have turned it around at some point. Now it pops the hood up properly when pulled and I can push the cable back in and it still is unlocked.

Does anyone have a spec as to how far down the pin is supposed to be?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
babyboomer1952
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attn Thing Owners...a fail safe way to make sure you can get into your trunk if the trunk cable should break...remove the left (passenger side) inspection plate inside the trunk. Reverse the screws to the outside so if the cable ever breaks you can remove screws and push in (drop) the inspection plate in the trunk while lying under the front of the car you just reach up inside the trunk with a short rod that has a 90 degree end and manually move the hood latch. If the cable breaks before you get this done just take a hammer and knock in the left inspection plate....the screws that hold those inspection plates are very small.
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyboomer1952 wrote:
Attn Thing Owners...a fail safe way to make sure you can get into your trunk if the trunk cable should break...remove the left (passenger side) inspection plate inside the trunk. Reverse the screws to the outside so if the cable ever breaks you can remove screws and push in (drop) the inspection plate in the trunk while lying under the front of the car you just reach up inside the trunk with a short rod that has a 90 degree end and manually move the hood latch. If the cable breaks before you get this done just take a hammer and knock in the left inspection plate....the screws that hold those inspection plates are very small.

Doesn't the screws screw into the car and not the plate? If you reverse the screws they wouldn't be holding the plate. In my thinking you would need to put the plate on the other side of the bulkhead then the screws would go through the plate into the bulkhead and hold it. What am I missing here?

I just went out and looked it over. I took the plate off and I don't think it will work. From the angle I can't see the latch and even if I could it would be dark in there also preventing seeing. Have you actually used this method and if so need to know your secret. I'm thinking on running a second wire from the latch and letting it stick out a small hole somewhere on the passenger side that I could retrieve in an emergency.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hansen_Photo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken hood cable Reply with quote

I just had to deal with the broken hood release cable issue. I unscrewed the hood hinges, propped up the hood just enough so I could unscrew the top latch piece with a 10mm wrench. My cable that broke was a Thing Shop cable. Wondering if there is a heavier duty thicker cable I can run to replace this broken cable. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, it would be appreciated, thank!
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Broken hood cable Reply with quote

My Thing Shop cable was a wee bit short, so it does a short cut at the passenger side front. It works fine now, but that detail bothers me.
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Broken hood cable Reply with quote

This is how I fixed mine so I can open the hood if the cable brakes. Just reach under fender and pull the wire. The wire is safety wire .041. I say this is kinda like wearing a belt and a pair of suspenders, if one fails the other will work.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hansen_Photo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Broken hood cable Reply with quote

That is an interesting backup solution. Not sure I want to do that though. I'm hoping to find a heavy duty table that won't break over time. If I find something, I'll share it here.
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Broken hood cable Reply with quote

Hansen_Photo wrote:
That is an interesting backup solution. Not sure I want to do that though. I'm hoping to find a heavy duty table that won't break over time. If I find something, I'll share it here.

I would try using a morse style cable. This company can hook you up:
http://push-pull.com/

Edit: For the moderators, I have no affiliation with push-pull. Just a friendly recommendation. Cool
Hansen_Photo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Broken hood cable Reply with quote

Great, thanks, I will check them out!
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken hood cable Reply with quote

ldj1002 wrote:

That main cable has to make the same short cut mine now makes. Think
jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken hood cable Reply with quote

My cable isn't broken yet but the housing and the D shaped handle are falling apart. When can I find a new cable with housing?

'76 Deluxe Sage Green Westy
2258 cc GD case 78mm CW crank, 2.0 H-beam rods 5,325” 22mm pin, JE forged pistons with 15cc dish, JE rings, type 11 clearanced oil pump, CB Eagle 2205 Type-2 “Torque Special” hydraulic cam with matched lifters fed by CB Dual Weber 40 IDF MX with 6” foam air filters, currently 55 idle, 130 main, 200 air correction, 32 mm venturis. 27in General Grabber AT2 All Terrains, Berg Shifter, stock '76 exhaust HPC Ceramic Coated. 11/18/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Broken hood cable Reply with quote

The Thing Shop has both.
richtrek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken hood cable Reply with quote

Gentlemen...

Thank you for having created this thread. My cable broke. I went under the front, chiseled off the screws, reached in, pulled on the remaining cable to open my trunk. The date: June 19, 2020. Richard
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: