Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crash Box vs Split Case
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bajabug420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: split case non sync firt and reverse Can I get sync gears? Reply with quote

I have a 1st and reverse bus split case in my 68 baja bug and it really isn't a great idea for ANYTHING offroad or at least not slow crawling types (unless I am doing it wrong).

I am thinking of either replacing it for a fully synched bus tranny OR if possible can I add sync gears to the split case?
Cabriothusiast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: DC'ing and Making it work Reply with quote

In all the years Ive been driving in or actually driving early cars, only one person I have even been in the car with, could call himself an expert at driving those crazy transmissions. Joe Crocket can drive a pre 52 split beetle like nobodys business.

I will never for get getting a ride in his 51 or 50 beetle thru Santa Barbara area in the hills on his personal side street road circuit. He had that split working like a swiss watch. He was up shifting and down shifting, double clutching like a sewing machine and had that car working at max potential. Never once did he grind any gear up or down!

It was remarkable and when its done right, its something to see. Maybe Joe can give lessons?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Peckham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
I believe you don't get into 1st unless you are stopped. Period.

Have you mastered double de clutching into first from second yet John? I was surprised to see the debate on here about whether or not it can be done, I have always done it as a matter of course when driving my '57 in traffic. Once you're used to it, it literally takes less than a second to double de clutch down into first and getting a silent change is incredibly satisfying! Wink

Mike
BartD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
Easiest way to tell a crash case BTW, is the lack of ribs on the side, and the upward facing oil fill cap. Crash case trannies were used past Oct '52 in non-US Beetles BTW. I have heard of standards with CC trannies into the early 60s.

I have a ' 59 standard. It has a the newer style ribbed split case, on the inside its a crash box.
drpete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just re-read this thread to re-learn the difference in crash case and splitcase. I learned to double-clutch in my father's Model A. And it came in handy once when I was leaving college to come home for the Holidays in my '59 bug. The clutch cable broke as I started my trip, but I made it home (120miles) without any trouble, double-kicking on downshifts. When I came up on a red light in Milpitas, I just went into the adjacent Safeway parking lot and circled in 1st gear until the light changed. Had to cut into a long line of cars to get back on the road for the green light, which earned me a 1-finger salute from a guy in a Camero Shocked . Dad was grinning ear to ear when I told him what happened.... Very Happy

Pete Keesling
Driving a VW every day.....
CommodoreCollector
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Crash Box vs Split Case Reply with quote

I have two crash box transaxles cases and no gears - do they make reproduction guts for the tranaxle?

Also have the axle tubs but no drums, is there anything unqiue about crash box drums compared to later transaxle drums?

thanks

Not For Sale:

1969 Karmann Ghia
1961 Type 2 DD Panel
1960 Euro Kombi
1959 Type 2 Single Cab
1958 Type 2 Panel
1958 Type 2 Single Cab
1958 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drpete wrote:
Just re-read this thread to re-learn the difference in crash case and splitcase. I learned to double-clutch in my father's Model A. And it came in handy once when I was leaving college to come home for the Holidays in my '59 bug. The clutch cable broke as I started my trip, but I made it home (120miles) without any trouble, double-kicking on downshifts. When I came up on a red light in Milpitas, I just went into the adjacent Safeway parking lot and circled in 1st gear until the light changed. Had to cut into a long line of cars to get back on the road for the green light, which earned me a 1-finger salute from a guy in a Camero Shocked . Dad was grinning ear to ear when I told him what happened.... Very Happy

Great story, many of us who drove beetles back in the day had to learn to live with a car without a clutch, or maybe a starter. More recently, I broke my throttle cable. Drove 100 miles with a piece of string from the throttle, via the trailer hitch, along the side of a car and into my left hand. My family found that amusing as well. I even lost all gears once, exept 2nd. Some idiot pulled the stick out of second during acceleration. I drove to the top of a hill. Let the car coast up to about 30 mph. With the engine in idle, I let the clutch out instantly, there was a loud "clank", and the box was OK again!

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Zwitter UK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Crash Box vs Split Case Reply with quote

On the Grossglockner pass in Austria this Summer, I HAD to double declutch into first on the steepest sections as I doubted we'd get going again if we stopped. At 8000 feet the poor little 25 horser was running out of puff!

Each time it worked fine with no crunch, much to my amazement and relief. The trick is to blip the throttle more than you think you need to, then let the gear go in, rather than push it in. Think handshake as opposed to high five.

Coming down was actually harder than going up as it didn't like being hung on 2nd gear for long so it was a case of descend in 3rd and brake more - using the proper technique of course, not riding the brakes all the way down. I stopped to let them cool off and they were just beginning to smoke a little.

At lease with cables there's no brake fluid to boil!
Dan14
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Crash Box vs Split Case Reply with quote

Can anyone confirm if a crash box trans from a 55 standard (UK Model) would have the same gearing as one in a 50 from the US? Assuming that because its still a crash box and not a next generation split case it will but don't know enough to be confident. Looking to buy one and use the guts to fix mine...
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Crash Box vs Split Case Reply with quote

Dan14 wrote:
Can anyone confirm if a crash box trans from a 55 standard (UK Model) would have the same gearing as one in a 50 from the US? Assuming that because its still a crash box and not a next generation split case it will but don't know enough to be confident. Looking to buy one and use the guts to fix mine...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dan14
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Crash Box vs Split Case Reply with quote

Thanks Sled. Appreciate the feedback. Looks like I'm good to go.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Crash Box vs Split Case Reply with quote

This copy of the 1960 parts manual is useful for determining cross compatibility of parts. The early split case non synchromesh transaxles had a different smooth sided case from the ribbed split case synchromesh transaxles introduced with the Zwitter. At that point they used the later style case machined for the non synchro internals and with a separate part number. It appears that the internal parts were interchangeable between the two case styles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/60partsmanual.php

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Dan14
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Crash Box vs Split Case Reply with quote

Thanks Chris. Very useful document.
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Crash Box vs Split Case Reply with quote

There is a difference in the way that the non-synchro box has its reverse gear shaft secured. The early box (change date not known) has the shaft secured with a lock plate whilst the later ones have it secured with a circlip. This change also affects the matching machining of the gear change housing.

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
2016 T6 Selfbuild Camper and a LWB MAN TGE in build.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan14
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Crash Box vs Split Case Reply with quote

Ok. From the literature above it looks like a 55 standard transmission has the same gearing as a 50 crash box. The case of the trans I'm looking at is smooth sided,with no ribs, like a crashbox. Its a European model which seems to line up with previous discussion about later crash box's being around in staqndards. I guess the question is now, can I remove the internals from the 55 standard trans and put them in my 50 as they appear to be the same?
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Crash Box vs Split Case Reply with quote

Hi Dan14,

If you go ahead with this change over of internals please let us know how it goes and any problems that you may have.

I ask as I have a late factory reconditioned crash box in my '46 which I would like to use the internals of in an early case at some time in the future. The box that is in the car was actually purchased by me in the late 1980s still in its crate from the factory being complete with axels, brakes, cables etc.

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
2016 T6 Selfbuild Camper and a LWB MAN TGE in build.
Dan14
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Crash Box vs Split Case Reply with quote

Absolutely. The vw community has been great to me and if I can pay it forward in any I will. Will keep you posted on progress.
buggen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Crash Box vs Split Case Reply with quote

Does anyone know what month the crashbox/side bowl fill went away? Was it exactly when the first Zwitter was released? Would a November 1952 Zwitter still have one or do all Zwitters have a synchro tranny?

Thanks,
Matt
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Crash Box vs Split Case Reply with quote

buggen wrote:
Does anyone know what month the crashbox/side bowl fill went away? Was it exactly when the first Zwitter was released? Would a November 1952 Zwitter still have one or do all Zwitters have a synchro tranny?

Thanks,
Matt

I believe Zwitter's are the first with first gear synco and different nose cone and only splits truly had a full crashbox. You can check out my Hoffman build thread that shows the eternals of a full crashbox. I hope that helps.

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: