Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1982 Rabbit Cabrio
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Herman73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject: 1982 Rabbit Cabrio Reply with quote

Just bought my daughter a Cabrio. It hasn't ran in years. I can get it to crank, but there is no power going to the coil? Any ideas? I guess what I am looking for is a direction on where to look for ideas for this car. websites, other forums, anything. The car only has 90,000 miles on it, so I bought it thinking if I could get it running it would be a fun car for her. Looking at some of the posts in this forum, it looks like it could be expensive to fix. I looked at autozone and an engine control computer costs $300. Would I be better off finding a newer motor and trans? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The computer in an 82 does not do a whole lot - it monitors the oxygen sensor and then changes the pulse rate of a frequency valve that alters the mixture for emissions purposes. The rest of the fuel injection system is mechanical. That's a problem in itself though on a car that's not been run in years - several parts of the fuel system can get gunked up and have issues..

The power to the coil is not controlled by the computer at all. The coil gets power direct from the fusebox and at the coil it splits to the small electronic ignition control unit - which is not computer controlled, it's simply triggered by the Hall sending unit in the distributor and may also have an idle speed stabilizer hooked up as well, but even that is an independent item. If you don't have power getting to terminal 15 on the coil.. well, lots of old German made Rabbits have bad fuse boxes, which is the heart of the electrical system. Water leaks in past the windshield and corrodes the inside of the fusebox.

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Rabbit Cabrio Reply with quote

Herman73 wrote:
It hasn't ran in years.

Did you drain the fuel tank and check it for rust inside? If no rust/gunk, fresh fuel was put in?

Fuel pump was replaced?

Fuel filter was replaced?

Full tune-up done, including oil/filter change?

Herman73 wrote:
I can get it to crank, but there is no power going to the coil? Any ideas?

Just to be sure: There is no voltage registered on your meter when it's connected to the coil's terminal -1 and +15? It should show around 2 volts upon initial turn of the key, then drop to 0 after a couple seconds.

If it does indeed fail ^that test, test the Hall sender and ignition control unit: Keep your meter connected as described above, but disconnect the Hall sender at the distributor, and disconnect the ICU (driver's side rain tray). Make a jumper wire and, with the ignition on, briefly connect ICU terminal 2 to ground. The meter should show at least 2 volts at the coil. If not, the ICU has gone bad (many times it's simply a solder joint that needs resoldering).

It's actually uncommon for CIS cars to have ICUs and ECUs go bad. Hall senders tend to fail more often than the control units. Ignition switches and other electrical failures are also much more common.

With old water-cooled VWs, you need to troubleshoot until the cows come home, unless you enjoy throwing money at cars. You could very well put another engine in the car, even a rebuilt Jetronic ECU (which is not a computer), yet have the exact same problem.

If you're going to be working on this car, please do yourself a favor and get the Bentley Service Manual (if you haven't already): http://www.cabby-info.com/manuals.htm .

Herman73 wrote:
websites, other forums

http://cabby-info.com/

http://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisplay.php?152-Cabriolet
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Herman73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: 1082 Cabrio Reply with quote

Wow thanks! Where to start. I didn't pull the tank. I will do that before cranking it again. I did put some fresh fuel in. No tune up, pump or filter yet I wanted to get it fire before putting any moremoney into this. So from what I understand it is possible to get this reliable, it will just take time. Thanks for the links and the direction.I will do some experimenting and get back to you. BTW do you recomend a getting a new pump? I have no idea how long this rabbit sat before I got it. Anything else I should look into getting?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really hard to say what parts of the CIS fuel injection system you will need. The pump may be fine, but testing it requires a high pressure fuel gauge and the correct fittings to hook it up... with an inline shut off valve, to do all of the tests to the fuel system.

Definitely get that Robert Bentley Service Manual.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Cabrio Reply with quote

Herman73 wrote:
I didn't pull the tank. I will do that before cranking it again.

No need to pull the tank unless you have to... it's a PITA. Simply remove the rear seat cushion (two screws and it pulls right out), remove the fuel gauge sending unit, and shine a light down into the tank to have a look-see.

Herman73 wrote:
BTW do you recomend a getting a new pump?

I do, when you get it running, along with a new fuel filter. You'll also want to pull the injectors to inspect them, per Bentley Manual (and replace their O-rings). As already suggested, pull the relay panel down and inspect it thoroughly.

Pull the spark plugs and distributor cap to inspect them as well.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Herman73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1982 Rabbit Cabrio Reply with quote

I'm finally back to working on the convertible. I put a new coil on, and sprayed starting fluid down the throttle body. It ran as long as I sprayed starting fluid down the throttle. So it looks like I need to start on the fuel delivery system. I will open up the tank this weekend. See what's in there. It hasn't run since 1995, so I'm sure there are nightmares in there. Does anyone have suggestions to try or what else to look for? Any help is greatly appreciated
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Rabbit Cabrio Reply with quote

Does the fuel pump run at all? Is it the pump or the relay or the fuse box? Do you have a Bently manual to help you with diagnostics and finding everything? Years of sitting does CIS zero good.
Herman73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Rabbit Cabrio Reply with quote

No I found a Haynes manual, and a Bentley diesel manual but I am still looking for a regular Manual. I haven't opened the tank. I will check all those things and hope it is just a pump. Or a rely.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: