Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 127, 128, 129  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hannahler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I'm trying to figure out how the air cooled engine works. Reason being is that I want to create a functional version in minecraft so I will have a better understanding of each step. I have my own engine to look at but it's currently out of commission so I can't get it running, and I'm not sure the exact order of how it all comes together. Any easy topics on how a beetle engine works would be great. I've tried google but I'm not finding an explanation that really makes sense. I am looking preferably for the super beetle engines but any will do
74BugGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I'm very, very new to the VW crowd. I bought my first Beetle and well the wiring was a total mess (lots of speaker wire being used to replace wires, and a few fuses having wire jumping across them).
I'm good with wiring and know my fair share. I ordered a complete harness and all is going well so far.

My stupid questions..

Is there a wiring difference between a super beetle and a standard beetle?

Where can I find a good wiring diagram that includes the fuse and relay wires?

Why does it seem harder to find information on the 74 standard beetle?

Thank you for your help.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

hannahler wrote:
I'm trying to figure out how the air cooled engine works. Reason being is that I want to create a functional version in minecraft so I will have a better understanding of each step. I have my own engine to look at but it's currently out of commission so I can't get it running, and I'm not sure the exact order of how it all comes together. Any easy topics on how a beetle engine works would be great. I've tried google but I'm not finding an explanation that really makes sense. I am looking preferably for the super beetle engines but any will do

Pick up a copy of the Compleat Idiot manual by John Muir. The 1st couple of chapters give you exactly what you're looking for. Ignore what he writes about the thermostat.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

how exactly is the adjusting bolt attached to the distributor clamp? our threads were stripped and could not tighten clamp to set timing. cannot remove bolt. tried heat, punch, vice grips no luck any ideas?
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Some of the clamps have the bolt welded, mine was not but I wish it was. I recently got one with the bolt hole the other side, which is much better for me, And it was OE part.
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

One.
SOLiiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

where is my bentley manual?? damn thing "disappeared" from the passenger seat while in storage.
Bill Raleigh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Doing a restoration on a 1972 super beetle convertible. Want to add over rider bumpers to the car. With the conversion brackets, the back end will fit fine but my concern is the front end. The bumper looks too small for the vehicle. Is this a common problem? If so, any solutions to make it look right?
Goldbug3318
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Ok here is my contribution to this thread today. My fuel pump gaskets need to be replaced. I had planned on removing the distrinutor to fascilitate getting to the rear nut easily. Here is my "stupid" question.....If I mark the distributor is it possible to remove & put it back exaclty in place without throwing the timing of??

Thanks!!

1990 Ford Mustang Coupe
2008 Ford Mustang Coupe
2003 Chevy Corvette
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Yes!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Goldbug3318
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Yes!

Thank you sir, just made my day!!

1990 Ford Mustang Coupe
2008 Ford Mustang Coupe
2003 Chevy Corvette
gingergypsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

doing my first tune up on my new 1970 beetle. anyways i was going to adjust the valves, had to actually restart them because the muir book didn't mention that you have to turn the distributor 90 degrees for each piston you move to. anyways, went back to do them again and the exhaust valve on number 2 moves like crazy if you push on it. what does this mean? I'm a total noob to this. a couple others move a tiny bit but not like this one. could have been this way all along as my friend did number two not me
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Ok so I am looking for a 73 stock air cleaner and I have all of the bits and pieces to hook it up correctly including the hole in the tin for the warm air hose, but after it goes through the tin what does it hook in to?
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hatracks, the preheat hose goes to a "stove pipe", which is a sort of bent pipe that scoops hot air. Yours may be missing. That's why you don't know where your preheat hose hooks.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Ginger, are you saying the valve stem is loose, or the end of the adjustment screw?

If it's just the end of the adjustment screw, readjust it to give you .006.

By the way, once you get number one valves adjusted, you turn your bottom pulley 180 degrees (not 90) for number 2, and repeat this for 3 and 4.

Perhaps, you could watch a few YouTube videos to see how it's done correctly.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

there are so many different correctly s out there...witch one is right??? mine is.and it's not like that. Shocked
BlueBug88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: I dont know what this relay is... Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm a noob with an electrical issue. My starter will not crank at all. I took it to advance auto and they tested it and it worked fine. I have tested the ignition wire and it has power all the way to the transmission where it plugs into a relay or something. What is this called/ what does it do?

the boot that is on it has the part number vw 113 927 247 A

Any help would be great!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I dont have a clue.check the switch's and wiring diagram....and see where you get power to, and where it isant, and why.and what it's supposed to do.
Dan Hiebert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: I dont know what this relay is... Reply with quote

BlueBug88 wrote:
Hello,

I'm a noob with an electrical issue. My starter will not crank at all. I took it to advance auto and they tested it and it worked fine. I have tested the ignition wire and it has power all the way to the transmission where it plugs into a relay or something. What is this called/ what does it do?

the boot that is on it has the part number vw 113 927 247 A

Any help would be great!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Neutral safety switch. ("starter cut-out") There's a supplemental wiring diagram for the auto-shift in the wiring section under the technical tab that shows how it should be wired. If yours has only the one wire to it, you don't have a complete circuit.
meepmeep01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Anyone know what would make a 2001 automatic Beetle lurch at stops?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 127, 128, 129  Next
Jump to:
Page 29 of 129

Jump to: