Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Paint code
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigdirt09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Paint code Reply with quote

This is probley a dumb question but where would I look to find the paint code on my 72 411 variant ?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint code Reply with quote

bigdirt09 wrote:
This is probley a dumb question but where would I look to find the paint code on my 72 411 variant ?

If its still there...it should be in the trunk on the right hand side....just aft of the headlight cover and where the blinker light wire goes through the trunk wall.
Should be a silver decal with a name and number.

Post a picture in case its not there. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigdirt09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Paint code Reply with quote

I think this is where you are talking about Ray
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Paint code Reply with quote

Ok.....let me think back. Others can chime in....and let me look at the owners manual. It may have a clue.

You have the early enough wagon that the jack is in the trunk. If memeory serves.....there was either a jack or tool kit in that spot fastened by a clip.

The color code decal was in another location....but would still be in the front trunk.

But the color you have is Alaska Blue netallic. L-96B

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigdirt09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Paint code Reply with quote

Thanks Ray. There is a clip there to hold a jack which I don't have. .Here is a pic of a couple other tags in the trunk.

bigdirt09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Paint code Reply with quote

The car was already painted once before I bought it. The guy thought it was the original colour but I don't think it is. That's why I'm trying to find the paint code. The darker blue inside the bottom of the trunk probley is. Here's the colour blue it is now. May still be a vw colour from the rite time.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Paint code Reply with quote

That is a familiar car. Who did you buy it from? If its who I think....he has several nice type 4.

The outside appears to be L-96M Marathon blue or close...yes also a VW color. Sme color as mine. The trunk color is Definitely L96B Alaska blue.

Nice car!

Hope you have a list of what has been done mechanically. Ray
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Paint code Reply with quote

You can see the sticker on the wery left here...just a paper sticker, wery easy to fall off.
The clip for the jack is only on the 411 since the 412 has the jack under the rear seat.

Lars S

Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint code Reply with quote

Yes...here are some pictures of my paint codes. I realize my trunk looks horrendous. It was full of parts for too long.

Mine has the paint code and had the inspectors paper stamping underneath its edge. They were starting to peel off long ago so I applied a protective laminate. I will probably cut the perimeter carefully to remove them because the entire trunk will be carefully stripped and repainted......a very large job.

The 2nd picture you caan see that there was also another decal just at the top left of the picture that has the notice that this is a two stage clear coated paint.

Ray
kgarchivinusa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint code Reply with quote

Location 68/69

1968 VW 411 4-door royal red
1968 VW 411 L 4-door cobaltblue
1988 Porsche 924S Targa alpinweiss

(O = i = O) Karmann Ghia rassig und charmant [hot-blooded and charming] [O o\ i /o O]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigdirt09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint code Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for all the info and the pictures are great. I definitely now know where the code should be and mine is not there. Lol. Also Ray the L 96M marathon blue is also what I think my car is painted. You put me on the rite track. Thanks again. Dale
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint code Reply with quote

bigdirt09 wrote:
Thanks everyone for all the info and the pictures are great. I definitely now know where the code should be and mine is not there. Lol. Also Ray the L 96M marathon blue is also what I think my car is painted. You put me on the rite track. Thanks again. Dale

Even though its not THE original color...its AN original color and it looks like an excellent paint job.

Don't be a stranger. We are trying to have/provide as many resources for type 4 owners as we can.

If this is fairly new purchase.....I urge you to do some reading up and make a serious evaluation of your car so you know the condition of all of its parts. There are items that should be serviced before they fail.....because you cannot get parts for them.

Also as noted....if you can let us know where or who your car came from...especially if its a Samba member name only. ....even if in private.....we may be able to tell you a bit about what has been done if they were a regular. Ray
bigdirt09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint code Reply with quote

The car came from a local guy not to far from me on Prince Edward Island east coast of Canada. He found it in a barn in Nova Scotia. About 3 hours from me. The inside is all original Seats ,carpets ,dash and so on. Because it was inside for many years out of the sun it still looks amazing. He had it repainted at a local shop not to far from me. Awesome paint job. Cost him over 4000 just for paint work. He also did new brakes. Wheels. Tires. Battery. Starter. And so on. He then could not get it running rite with the fuel injection. Got discouraged after new injectors and countless hours and money. I am a huge vw fan and seen the car for sale about 3 years ago. Had to have it. Lol. It does have the wrong engine as it is a 1600 but still fuel injected. We got it running not bad as someone had put new injectors in it completely wrong ones I should say. That's where he went wrong. I can not believe how nice it drives down the Rd. I have changed all the fluids and just been doing local shows and only been doing about 500 miles a year. Keep it in my garage out of the sun always. Only comes out once or twice a week for a little drive. As I work a lot. It is stored in heated storage for the winter months. I have been doing a lot of reading on this site and learning all I can. Your knowledge and articles are great of these special cars. I am truly going to try and learn and do all I can to preserve especially the things that are no longer available. I sometimes don't like asking questions but I do try to learn from other people's and read about them a lot You guys are great and very dedicated to these cars. I appreciate it very much. Thanks Dale
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint code Reply with quote

Oh my.....it has a 1600 in it?.....you should make a project of putting the correct engine in it. You are missing about 25-30 hp.....and you have an automatic. Ray
bigdirt09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint code Reply with quote

For sure I will put a 1700 back in it. When time and money allows. Lol. Air cooled stuff is a little harder to come by here on the east coast but I did pick up a 1700 from a 72 Porsche 914 last winter. Will rebuild it at some point unless I find or buy another one that is ready to go ln.
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Paint code Reply with quote

I'm full of envy ---- your car has power brakes. I would love to find a salvage car with power brake parts to remove, and modify my 71. I know Ray is doing that on one of his cars. Bob
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Paint code Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
I'm full of envy ---- your car has power brakes. I would love to find a salvage car with power brake parts to remove, and modify my 71. I know Ray is doing that on one of his cars. Bob

A long time ago....I was looking for power brakes as well. But have realized that as long ad you are used to the pedal pressure you have......the advantage is not really in better braking.

However.....not far off I will be moving forward with my modification of moving my non power master cylinder to the front trunk.

This will allow me to use either type 3 master cylinder or mk 2 golf or bus master cylinder.

All of the apperatus and relay pivots....are largely the same as for power brakes just without booster and vaccum line.

I have been looking at the bay window bus master cylinder primarily because of the 23.8mm diameter as compared to 19mm. It should build pressure faster......but.....it will cause a LOT of recalculation of front to rear bias and balance because it has a 19mm front stroke and 13mm rear stroke.

The type 3 cylinder has a 19mm diameter just like type 4 and also a 15mm front and rear stroke length just like type 4.
I will be doing a test at some point when I get my hands on a new type 3 cylinder.....to measure the internal spring pressure diffrences to see exactly what the front to rear balance of the type 3 cylinder is compared to type 4.

But very soon I will be working on the brackets and mounting plate to move the master cylinder to the trunk. I will also be moving the clutch master cylinder to the trunk as well.
Ray
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Paint code Reply with quote

Hello Ray & others!

I've power brakes in mine, just yell if you need photos or any other data measured from the car.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Paint code Reply with quote

Kharon8 wrote:
Hello Ray & others!

I've power brakes in mine, just yell if you need photos or any other data measured from the car.

I may take you up on that....but here is where I am going with it.:

There is a stamped cutout indention in cars without power brakes ...where the pushrod comes through.

This is directly in line with the brake pedal pivot on the pedal cluster. Since the power brake unit is actually mounted to plate that bolts to the fire wall...its mainly a different rod and relay for the pedal.

What I will be making is a pair of short "A frame" plates...out of probably 0.025" or 0.375" thick steel...maybe even 0.5" thick. One plate bolts to the two bolt holes on the pedal cluster unit where the brake master bolted on...and one bolts to where the clutch master cylinder was.

Between the two plates...at the top of the "A frame" will be a bushing in each plate and a 0.75" axle or pivot shaft. On that shaft will be a steel disc...probably 0.5" thick. At 12:00 position on that disc will be a hole drilled to accept a standard brake pushrod. The height will mean that the hole at 12:00 in the disc will be level with the access hole in the fire wall into the trunk.

The pushrod from the pedal can be attached at 6:00 on the disc....so the pedal movement is one to one with the relay rod and disc movement. I will have to get this calculated...as it will actually need to be a ratio...but no big deal I can mock it up first.
I can also slot the hole...or make multiple holes for where the pedal pushrod mounts...so I can actually make for a shorter brake pedal stroke if I want Wink

Now....next to the relay disc on the shaft between the A frames...will be a spacer...and another relay disc. This one will attach to the clutch pedal pushrod.
That pushrod will need to have a block of steel to get it to jog about 50mm to the right to be in line with the hole.

So the clutch master cylinder pushrod will run into the trunk through the same hole maybe 0.5" away from the brake pushrod. Then with another relay block I can jog the clutch master cylinder pushrod back to the left by about 50mm to 75mm...so I have room between the two cylinders...which will be mounted on a steel plate and bolted to the deck in the trunk.

And....for the reservoir ...simply turn the stock reservoir around so that the feed nipples face into the trunk and put rubber plugs in the holes behind it. It will look nearly factory. Ray
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint code Reply with quote

I found this among my VW books. It is my hope that it will help someone down the line. I did have a question- is the Marathon Metalic the same color as my 73 variant, which is marathon blue?

The sticker has been scratched off, but I can barely make out the word 'Diamant - Zweischicht' meaning two layer or two stage paint.

Hope this helps!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: