Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question about seat cover interchangeability
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndrewP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject: Question about seat cover interchangeability Reply with quote

Hi, I am trying to order some seat covers from TMI via VW heritage. I need some low-back seat covers for my 61-65 seats. However there seems to be some confusion as to how many panels or heat pressings there should be (6 or 7).

Does anyone know what year they changed?

Secondly in this image there is a piece of piping that separates the center seat panel from the sides;
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is this original? Because i am told they don't do this?

I had thought that all the lowlights have thin-back seat, however there seems to be some with thick-back seats. They all seem to have an additional panel at the front like this:

I much prefer this design, so i was wondering if these covers will fit on the 61-65 seats?
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Question about seat cover interchangeability Reply with quote

The thread on interiors is pretty good. ^^^These pics are in it (probably where you found them?). The second pic it states centers have been changed.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=198027

I believe thin back seats were 56-57 only. Im not positive but i see 5 panels on LL most often.
If you want authentic looking seats im not sure TMI is the answer.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
AndrewP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about seat cover interchangeability Reply with quote

Thanks, yes i did find them in that long long long thread. Need to sort thru that thread and make it a bit more concise. Its 17 pages!

So does anyone know if the 58-59 lowlight thick-back seat covers would fit the 60-65 low-back seats?

TMI is not the greatest but i have heard they are reasonable.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about seat cover interchangeability Reply with quote

AndrewP wrote:

So does anyone know if the 58-59 lowlight thick-back seat covers would fit the 60-65 low-back seats?

Sticking my neck out I would say yes...The early '60 seats appear to be the same as my '58 seats.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about seat cover interchangeability Reply with quote

Where did you find pics of the 58-59 TMI covers. I looked at 3 or 4 sites including TMI and no pics. Im pretty sure all low backs (not thin) would wear the same size covers.
As an option, I took pictures (early ghia) to a local upholstery shop and they copied them, exactly as in the pics. I choose all material, black perforated on black. As far as price, they were less than expected. I had the shop do headliner, ragtop headliner, install carpet, door cards... so I dont know seat only price.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
AndrewP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Question about seat cover interchangeability Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. Hopefully i can get TMI to to make them.

>Where did you find pics of the 58-59 TMI covers.

That's the problem they don't have any pictures! They also don't want to seem to deal with end customers. I have to call VWheritage, and then they have to find out for me! TMI seems to be the most odd company, its like they don't really want to sell you anything.

With regard to other companies, i don't seem to get very far. I tried one company in the UK, wessex-cartrimming.co.uk and they asked me to call back in 1/4 hour and they were engaged. I tried a couple more times but nothing.

The TMI covers via VW heritage are £260, I don't know what other companies would charge. I spoke to one company (sorry cant remember name) and they wanted like £600.

Can anyone recommend a company in the UK?

Tried Newton Commercial and they couldn't do them.
theghiagirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Question about seat cover interchangeability Reply with quote

AndrewP wrote:
Thanks, yes i did find them in that long long long thread. Need to sort thru that thread and make it a bit more concise. Its 17 pages!

I would say NO. The seat frame bottom on a 58-60 seat are shaped differently than the later 61-67 style.

Taken from Loren's thread. Check out the original upholstery and the shape of the seat bottom.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AndrewP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Question about seat cover interchangeability Reply with quote

theghiagirl wrote:

I would say NO. The seat frame bottom on a 58-60 seat are shaped differently than the later 61-67 style.

Thanks. You have saved me a massively frustrating experience.

for future reference here is a link to the relevant page (7) in the thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6965372&highlight=seat#6965372

To me, it looks like they are sufficiently close that they probably could be interchanged from a functional standpoint, but the results would be very poor particularly on the seat base.

Thanks everyone
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: