Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

One more Zwitter bug 1953
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: One more Zwitter bug 1953 Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1709454

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1891635
Zvonimir1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: One more Zwitter bug 1953 Reply with quote

Thanks but I can print it and be as happy as with the original +i have money in my wallet!
Zvonimir1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: One more Zwitter bug 1953 Reply with quote

Hey guys! Is there any difference between 52/3 ( the one I need )and 67 rear fenders?
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: One more Zwitter bug 1953 Reply with quote

Zvonimir1985 wrote:
Hey guys! Is there any difference between 52/3 ( the one I need )and 67 rear fenders?

they will fit, but they are definitely different parts

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Zvonimir1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: One more Zwitter bug 1953 Reply with quote

Ok, please show me the one I need and untill year they were produced. Some link to buy would be great!
Zvonimir1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: One more Zwitter bug 1953 Reply with quote

Wow!

I have found the original tank cap in the car!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The beetle looks far more better then I tought!
One more question! All zwitters has the same speedometer? There must be two arrows separated or no?
Thanks!

And take a look at the original rear mirror!

And this is a newer one.

Zvonimir1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: One more Zwitter bug 1953 Reply with quote

Hello guys!

It is time to order a new back fenders and front and rear apron. Please, if anyone has ordered, let me know what is the best site.
Zvonimir1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: One more Zwitter bug 1953 Reply with quote

This one
http://www.jbugs.com/category/1954-vw-bug-fenders.html

Says it fits 1954 and on.
Where can I buy 1953 rear fender? Or is it the same?
joel55bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: One more Zwitter bug 1953 Reply with quote

Zvonimir1985 wrote:
Hello guys!

It is time to order a new back fenders and front and rear apron. Please, if anyone has ordered, let me know what is the best site.

On the aprons I'd check out Wolf1 on here and get the weatherstripping metal insert from virtanen also on here. For the fenders I'd try to find some good OG ones or wait for the next production run of the Gerson ones but as far as I know he's only making the fronts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jim Hunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: One more Zwitter bug 1953 Reply with quote

This car has a lot of character, good save!
I what condition are the floors/chassis ?
The most recommended way is to start from the chassis/floorpan and after to the body...

Either way good luck and keep the pictures coming Smile
Zvonimir1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: One more Zwitter bug 1953 Reply with quote

Hi guys! Nothing new with my beetle. But, I have sold one daily car so now the zwitter story can start soon.
I am still looking for rear end and I cant figure out what are the differences in years. Please, help me so I can order parts needed for restoration.

Thanks!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: One more Zwitter bug 1953 Reply with quote

Rear fenders: OK, I'll start with an overview of the differences using photos from the gallery. Those will help you judge how much you want to "improvise" or "make concessions" due to money and originality. I fully agree with the above statement that a 1967 rear fender will fit, and the overall contour will be a close match. You could redrill your current rear fenders for the mounting holes needed with the low "heart" tail lights, weld up the current holes as well as the round hole for the overrider tube, and most people would not notice the difference unless they look at the underside of the fender.

I'll make notes for "export" rear fenders which have the additional round hole above the vertical slot for the bumper bracket, which could be found in Europe.

1. Zwitter fenders: have "heart" tail lamps mounted down low using 4 holes in the fender. These 4 holes were used until mid-1955 when the revised, larger "snowflake" style tail lamps came out, which were positioned slightly higher.

They also have ribs between the bolt holes which were utilized through the end of the oval era (thru 1957 model year); possibly slightly later as well-

Here you can see the correct, low mounting position of the heart tail lamps which would be correct for your Zwitter. Note that the left fender has the round hole above the bumper bracket slot for a bumper overrider support tube, but the right fender does not-

2. mid-1955 thru 1957 fenders- "Snowflake" tail lamps mounted higher on Euro as well as US-spec Beetles. The photo below shows the round hole above the bumper bracket slot for an overrider-style bumper. This general style and tail lamp location was used through the 1961 model year. The only major difference would be when those ribs were discontinued.

3. 1962 thru 1967: Larger tail lamps mounted even higher, just like the ones you have now. Once again you have the round hole for an export bumper support bar.

25 years ago I bought a Oct. 1952-built Zwitter here in the USA which did have its original split rear window Wink . Chassis # started with 1-041... It had one badly bent/ mangled rear fender, and the other one was OK and original. I was not interested in a restoration, but just to get the body into presentable condition because I installed the body onto a 1973 chassis with the semi-trailing arm rear suspension. I found a 1967 fender, transferred the dimensions of the heart tail lamps from the one original fender, and had a friend weld up the '67's tail lamp holes. Once I found a set of heart tail lamps, the rear of the car looked acceptable. I sold the car in 2003.
Zvonimir1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: One more Zwitter bug 1953 Reply with quote

Rome, thank you! It is very helpfull!
Few days ago, I have bought 63 beetle and I will use it as a donor for this zwitter. I can use rear fenders, front hood and seats! What about mechanic and suspension? Brakes?
I cant find rear deck lid!

greek_tony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: One more Zwitter bug 1953 Reply with quote

Front hood is different for sure - the arms that the hood is bolted to has 3 holes to attach to the 3 holes in the hood and other differences.

The seats won't fit properly. The seat rails in pre-55 cars are flat. Post-55 are angled up. This means that a post 55 seat will have the front end sloping down.
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: One more Zwitter bug 1953 Reply with quote

Somebody dipped that whole donor thing in red primer and then left it at a scrap yard?
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: One more Zwitter bug 1953 Reply with quote

usariemen wrote:
Somebody dipped that whole donor thing in red primer and then left it at a scrap yard?
But they masked off the shifter!
That Zwitter is awesome! Why not leave the cool (and valuable) gauges and rally looking stuff there? Less holes to weld up! The seats will be tough, why are so many 53-55's missing their seats, mine is missing them also.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlekey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: One more Zwitter bug 1953 Reply with quote

That is a 55 and younger body with a welded in splitroof, it is no switter....
If you need help with the interieur, no pproblem.
Marcus

If you are searching for vintage keys, look here:
https://www.facebook.com/WagenmanufakturHO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zvonimir1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: One more Zwitter bug 1953 Reply with quote

? Try again!

Yes, I need interior and if you can help me, please do!
Zvonimir1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: One more Zwitter bug 1953 Reply with quote

Hi guys!
Is this one right for my bug?

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: One more Zwitter bug 1953 Reply with quote

I don't think so; that one appears to be for a later oval window. There are 2 quick differences; look at this one from the gallery:
1. Shape of the engine lid spring holder at the top inner edge- "yours" is made of two parallel channels. Split window or even early ovals have a triangular shape.
2. Shape of the license plate light cutout is very different.

"Your" engine lid with the "W" indentations would be much closer to being correct than the two you now have. If you can get it for a reasonable price, I'd suggest buying it. You could sell the two engine lids you have now to help with the purchase of the W lid.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: