Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1958 Lowlight Help!!
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
arturo01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: 1958 Lowlight Help!! Reply with quote

Hello from argentina..

Please I want to know if someone can help me with this...
I want to know if the karmann on the photo I post is a lowlight model...
I'm about to make an offer to the seller but I have the doubt about it...
Thanks!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
h~moto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 LOWLIGHT HELP!! Reply with quote

It appears in the picture that the body slopes down above the headlights like a lowlight should. However the vent "nostrils" are wrong for a lowlight and the chrome around the headlights look wrong to me. Looks like there is a lot of custom work on this car. It is hard to tell from the picture, but if the door does not have a push-button handle, it is a good indication that it is a newer Ghia modified to look older. If you do not have it, ask the seller what the VIN is.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Lowlight Help!! Reply with quote

Lots of chrome trim missing from around the doors, windows, pretty well everywhere, as well as the other issues mentioned above. One piece front bumper probably not Ghia.

From that one picture I would be very careful...more pictures needed to make an in depth assessment.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
paul_round
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Lowlight Help!! Reply with quote

As John said, lots of missing chrome, I'm no lowlight expert but to me it looks more like a cal look type resto.
Has anyone ever done a cal-look lowlight?
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Lowlight Help!! Reply with quote

paul_round wrote:

Has anyone ever done a cal-look lowlight?

Yeah they look horrible. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Lowlight Help!! Reply with quote

I don't think this is a lowlight. Looks almost bloated or swollen in a way, I suspect it has some serious bondo or really skilled metal work. The curve between the fender and the nose seems thick. Also difficult to tell, but the rear fender flare looks a little off as well. Not a bad looking 'customized' ghia, but I suspect a lot of bondo. Rear view mirror looks different/replaced? No wipers?
Also, don't the quarter-windows overhang the doors differently than the later years? Not sure off the top of my head when that changed. I'd demand a bunch more pics before making an offer, or a personal inspection.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Lowlight Help!! Reply with quote

I agree with everyone above.
That rear view mirror looks like nothing air cooled. The front bumper is not like any ghia bumper I've seen... nor the mounts. High back seats, headlight rings, door handles. Sure looks shiny. Maybe some Brazilian stuff.
More pics?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: