Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tappets out of line with top of valves
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lumbee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: Tappets out of line with top of valves Reply with quote

Hey folks! I have a 56 oval that I am rebuilding the top end on. I am reassembling the heads, and when I mounted the tappets I noticed at least one of the tappets is way out of line with the top of the valve. I am attaching an image for you to check out. Note I added the arrow, but if you look at the one on the end, the alignment is not so great either.

While I did completely disable the valves and springs...I did take the tappet assemble apart. I left it assembled and just soaked it in cleaner. I say that to say...I did not reassemble it wrong.

Am I missing something, or is there a way adjust the tappets from side to side to get a better contact area?

Also swapped tappet assemblies on both heads, and the misalignment is present on both heads.

Any info appreciated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Tappets out of line with top of valves Reply with quote

This is normal and an intentional design feature.
vw54john
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Tappets out of line with top of valves Reply with quote

Yep, this "misalignment" actually causes the valve to rotate, thereby preventing a hot spot on the valve and enabling more even wear.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lumbee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Tappets out of line with top of valves Reply with quote

Wow! Would have never guessed that. Thanks all!
h~moto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Tappets out of line with top of valves Reply with quote

Very many of the VW repair manuals will show three pictures about this. One with no offset, one with too much offset and the third with the proper offset.
lumbee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Tappets out of line with top of valves Reply with quote

h~moto wrote:
Very many of the VW repair manuals will show three pictures about this. One with no offset, one with too much offset and the third with the proper offset.

If anyone has a pic of this they can share online I'd love to see it. Thanks!
TSLAVO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Tappets out of line with top of valves Reply with quote

I don't have it in english. The 3rd one is the correct alignment.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Tappets out of line with top of valves Reply with quote

Who would need a translator for that!

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lumbee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Tappets out of line with top of valves Reply with quote

Great info. Thanks everyone!
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Tappets out of line with top of valves Reply with quote

If that far off I would shim them towards the spring for better contact- that one sure looks off.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: