Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sears allstate two wheeler.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dustin B wrote:
MonT3 wrote:
Thought I'd post here as well as the other two wheeled trailer thread.
Has anyone found documentation on these trailers detailing which year the model and possibly the serial number were released? I've recently bought one which I pick up mid-month which has been off the road for a very long time and at the moment all I have is a model and serial number of 28761501. Serial # 4916. Any info is appreciated.

I can't speek for all the trailers but mine is dated on the the factory vin tag. Mine is a 71 model year.

Thanks Dustin B! Appreciate it and will be looking into it.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
splitnrag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can any of you show how you have your lights wired up? I'm just about ready to wire mine up. Thanks
splitnrag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dustin B wrote:
MonT3 wrote:
Thought I'd post here as well as the other two wheeled trailer thread.
Has anyone found documentation on these trailers detailing which year the model and possibly the serial number were released? I've recently bought one which I pick up mid-month which has been off the road for a very long time and at the moment all I have is a model and serial number of 28761501. Serial # 4916. Any info is appreciated.

I can't speek for all the trailers but mine is dated on the the factory vin tag. Mine is a 71 model year.

I believe mine is a '75 according to the title. One thing that is different with mine is that my top is held up by two rods/roundbar not hinged hood-props.
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week I made a trip to pick up a trailer I had found on CL. My investment wasn't much so my expectations weren’t very high. The images on the ad showed a rusty patina’d, dented up trailer which lived on farm for 40+yrs so I had a 50/50 shot. Being optimistic, I thought a few replacement panels and a good blasting would clean it up but rot in the framework under-side, sides panels, bed took away that thought as I looked at an improperly assembled trailer. The top cover screws and bolt was reversed. It really made me rethink about restoring it. I had to remove the fenders, axle and top cover to fit it into my truck bed (I have a Leer top on it) as the trailer wasn’t road worthy and couldn’t be towed. To me, this trailer is beyond restoration. After a good pressure wash, the rot began to reveal itself as well as the concrete still affixed to the bed and sides. The cover’s sides have some pitting and I’m not sure if they're salvageable. My intent has shifted to building a replica using this trailer as a template and using as many pieces I can remove from it which there are some. The remainder will be cut up and scrapped. Eventually, my home-made trailer will look very similar but have a few changes made to modernize it. In the meantime, I drug the ugly duckling under my deck where it’ll sit until I’m ready to disassemble it more, get my measurements and same pieces to get new stock and work on building it. So in the meantime, another project awaits…
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Glenn A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice patina. The logos look great. Does it have a VIN plate above the tongue?

60 Double cab
65 EzCamper
66 Double cab
62 Kombi
2017 Golf R
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn A wrote:
Nice patina. The logos look great. Does it have a VIN plate above the tongue?

Hi GlennA. Yes, the small VIN plate is on it. I got a bill of sale on this trailer as it sat on the farm forever after 1974. The seller couldn’t find the title to it which I felt was ok as I’d title my 63 squareback with just a bill of sale after it had sat in a field for 18yrs. However, my trip to the courthouse was a sour one as the gent I spoke with told me it couldn’t get a new title without the old title. After looking the trailer over, the underside is rotted pretty darn good where the framework meets the bed and other areas so keeping it is questionable. I feel building a new one using what I can from it with few mods will work out nice. BUT, I have to get new registration for my vehicles so I’m going to ask a few questions again and see where it goes. Maybe I’ll get a lady who’s sympathetic to my cause versus the guy that didn’t help.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
LHG
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: SEARS AllState Trailer Reply with quote

Typ3nut wrote:
Just Found !... SEARS AllState Clam Shell Trailer.
This thing has been in storage for over 25 years, super clean. Original Color was Grey and had a Black Racing Stripe down the middle of Top.
Original SEARS Stickers on sides. Was painted blue on bottom about 10 years ago.
Needs electrical to be rewired, longer Chains and Coupler.
Don't know if I just fix it up with new bearings and grease or if I want to repaint / restore.

For a few years the tail lights were mounted on the lid as in the photo. The center light was added by someone. I recently found a 1970 trailer exactly like this one with OG light holes on the lid and the original owner said the lights were mounted there.

Question for Typ3nut: I don't see any wires coming down off the lid, can you tell where the wires went?
www.facebook.com/groups/vintagevwclub/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: SEARS AllState Trailer Reply with quote

LHG wrote:
Typ3nut wrote:
Just Found !... SEARS AllState Clam Shell Trailer.
This thing has been in storage for over 25 years, super clean. Original Color was Grey and had a Black Racing Stripe down the middle of Top.
Original SEARS Stickers on sides. Was painted blue on bottom about 10 years ago.
Needs electrical to be rewired, longer Chains and Coupler.
Don't know if I just fix it up with new bearings and grease or if I want to repaint / restore.

For a few years the tail lights were mounted on the lid as in the photo. The center light was added by someone. I recently found a 1970 trailer exactly like this one with OG light holes on the lid and the original owner said the lights were mounted there.

Question for Typ3nut: I don't see any wires coming down off the lid, can you tell where the wires went?

The wires ran inside, as there is an inside light also, along the top toward the front middle and out a hole in the lower middle where they tied the side marker running lights together and to the receiver hook-up.
When I restored, I didn't like the tail lights on the lid so, I relocated tail lights to lower sides and ran wiring inside square frame channel to conceal and give it a nicer look.
LHG
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my addition to the Two Wheel Sears Trailer topic Very Happy

Parked since 1986 in a shed.
Year - 6/1970
Condition - Good

Packed the wheel bearings, aired up the tires, wired the lights, and drove it 180 miles to the Airhead Parts Treffen XVI show in Oxnard Harbor.

A Nice Addition the owner installed. The little hoses on thefenders stick out far enough so you can see them when everything is straight. Good for backing up or just checking to see if the trailer is still back there. The also don't kill your knee when you bump into them.

Here's the tag over the tongue.

The Trailer

Stopping for a photo op along Hwy 1 and the Pacific Ocean.

We cruised out on the Santa Barbara Pier and State St on the way home

Me
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool trailer and you got it on the road quick. Looks like you have the mounting holes for the spare as well. Are you planning on restoring/rebuilding it?
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
LHG
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
Cool trailer and you got it on the road quick. Looks like you have the mounting holes for the spare as well. Are you planning on restoring/rebuilding it?

The P.O. moved the tire mount from the side to the tongue. It makes some sense having it there. The tail lights were also moved from the lid to the bed, another sensible move. No plans to restore it for now, I'm going to just use it for a while and enjoy the rust (patina Smile ).

NOTE: I noticed my tag has the date stamped in the top right corner, any other tags with dates out there?
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LHG wrote:
MonT3 wrote:

The P.O. moved the tire mount from the side to the tongue. It makes some sense having it there. The tail lights were also moved from the lid to the bed, another sensible move. No plans to restore it for now, I'm going to just use it for a while and enjoy the rust (patina Smile ).

NOTE: I noticed my tag has the date stamped in the top right corner, any other tags with dates out there?

That's cool.

There's an ad, same trailer:
https://columbus.craigslist.org/for/4613595734.html
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1645601
One of the pics on the CL ad has a sticker/tag which has a manufacture date on it. I don't know where this sticker would have been placed on the trailer. My trailer doesn't have this tag. It's pretty weathered and I can only imagine if it did, the sticker peeling off after a couple MN winters while on a farm.

I searched the gallery for other markings or differences between these trailers to pinpoint the year mine was made. Only thing I can find is the top covers side panels. Some have horizontal lines while others have an "X" pattern. Not sure if the "Allstate" markings were standard placement on each one or not. I checked the small VIN/SN plate after you brought to my attention where that could be. Interestingly, my plate does not have a date stamp on it. Just a model and serial number.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one. Very Happy

1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If possible, can close ups of the spare tire mount be posted along with the support bars for the cover? I'm searching for some alternatives and would like to get as close as possible. OR if anyone knows of other sources to possibly get parts for these? Sears boasts a parts site that posts pieces for these trailers but they're mainly nuts and bolts that can be gathered elsewhere. I haven't started working on my mine yet as my square is in a rebuild state but just collecting bits for it. Thanks!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
mustangfanatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad has a Sears trailer sitting in his back yard and I want to get it back on the road. My issue is the axle is frozen, wheels won't turn. It has been parked for years. Does anyone know the axle width in case I need to replace the entire axle? If anyone has done this, any suggestions on where to source a new axle? Thanks very much!
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mustangfanatic wrote:
My dad has a Sears trailer sitting in his back yard and I want to get it back on the road. My issue is the axle is frozen, wheels won't turn. It has been parked for years. Does anyone know the axle width in case I need to replace the entire axle? If anyone has done this, any suggestions on where to source a new axle? Thanks very much!

Is your axle have a hub on it with lugs or a spindle that mounts to a single hole/lug wheel?
Since I’ve torn down my trailer and have been sourcing parts, I found out the axle is a ¾ in spindle. My trailer has a single-hole mount on the axle spindle versus some that may have a hub with 4 lugs. I went searching for wheels as mine are rotted beyond repair so I began to look at an upgrade for my existing axle. I searched for a replacement axle and found some rated at 2000lbs or more but the trailer is, as I understand it rated at ½ ton. So I thought any other axle may be overkill and I could try to work with what I have. I plan cutting out the ¾” spindle and have a 1 1/16th spindle welded in then add 5 lug hubs so I have access to the newer wheels and parts.
Have you tried removing your wheels to see if the maybe you can replace the bearings or wheels if you have to? Post some pics as I’m sure some of the other owners may have some more insight into what you may be facing.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Minnesota_Duane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

Bitchen dude!
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
JoelH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

For those that have swapped the original rims with new hubs and then bolt on rims, what hubs are you buying? 3/4" shaft on mine. Hard to find parts. Anyone have a good original rim they would sell? Then I wouldn't have to find hubs. Thanks

'60 DD SWR Panel
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2522353#2522353

'62 Gulf Blue Ragtop Bug
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=420720&highlight=

'60 Black RHD Beetle
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6478591#6478591

1965 Sea Sand L568 Notchback
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8307805#8307805
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

JoelH wrote:
For those that have swapped the original rims with new hubs and then bolt on rims, what hubs are you buying? 3/4" shaft on mine. Hard to find parts. Anyone have a good original rim they would sell? Then I wouldn't have to find hubs. Thanks

You can pick up a set of spindles and hubs kits as well as wheels from your local Tractor Supply, Runnings or order them online. I replaced my spindles for the same reason as my wheels were so rotted they were a safety hazard. I've read on another trailer thread, might have been a single wheel one where the owner found a wheel similar to the no lug, center spindle nut mounted wheel.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: