Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oval glove box lock question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrisisw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject: Oval glove box lock question Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what changes need to made to a regular sedan glove box door, in order to fit a convertible glove box lock?

Thanks in advance
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srm1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Oval glove box lock question Reply with quote

Hello Chris. I did it to my 54, and it's more work then one would think. There's not much difference to a sedan glove box door and a vert glove box door. It just that the keyed circle is a bit larger on the vert. What I did was I used the sleeve of the vert lock as a template. And I just used a couple different filled to "rheem" out the hole. The tricky part is when you put a vert glove box box door on a sedan. Question - are you trying to fit a sedan glove box door on a convertible? Or do you want a locking glove box on a sedan?

My VW motto is - Out with the OLD. In with the EVEN OLDER !!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chrisisw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Oval glove box lock question Reply with quote

srm1956 wrote:
Hello Chris. I did it to my 54, and it's more work then one would think. There's not much difference to a sedan glove box door and a vert glove box door. It just that the keyed circle is a bit larger on the vert. What I did was I used the sleeve of the vert lock as a template. And I just used a couple different filled to "rheem" out the hole. The tricky part is when you put a vert glove box box door on a sedan. Question - are you trying to fit a sedan glove box door on a convertible? Or do you want a locking glove box on a sedan?

The latter. I would like to fit the glove box of my sedan with a lock.
srm1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: Oval glove box lock question Reply with quote

Here's a picture of my glove box lock installed in my sedan. The tab on the body that holds the glove box closed will need to be bent and use differently. On the sedan the glove box push button (non-locking) clips to the inside of that tab. And on a vert the body tab is a bit long and set back more. Now on my sedan the vert lock clip to the outside of that body tab VS the normal inside.

With a bit of bending and adjustment you can get it to work. Or you could weld on a vert body tab to you sedan.

As you can see I installed a few vert items on my sedan like a dash handle and a hood lock.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My VW motto is - Out with the OLD. In with the EVEN OLDER !!!!!!!!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: