Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Something doesn't add up with these - Scam ads on craigslist
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SOLiiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Something doesn't add up with these - Scam ads on craigslist Reply with quote

This one seems almost too good to be true, and only one picture?
https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/5679778973.html

very sure these others are of the same one
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5679439414.html
https://fortcollins.craigslist.org/cto/5676279847.html
https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5677708465.html

That low milage, that condition, a westy... for 7500!? I have a pretty good feeling this is a scam or something. How can I report that on CL so its removed? Im tired of seeing it in my searches.

Also, this bug feels the same for some reason.
https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/5670906806.html

These have been on CL for way over a month, and at that price they should be gone by now.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: something doesnt add up with these Reply with quote

Scam!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: something doesnt add up with these Reply with quote

On the Bus, those are all scams.

Hit report in the craigslist ad.

If enough people report it, it gets removed.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: something doesnt add up with these Reply with quote

SOLiiD wrote:

I didn't know that Zundfolge1432 had put his car up for sale on CL. Shocked Hey where's that phallic cup holder that you made? Very Happy
Actually, That looks like a legit car. If I was in the market for a 72. I might have a closer look at that one.
FWIW. I did hit the prohibit button on all of the other adds besides the last one.
Have a good week.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: something doesnt add up with these Reply with quote

That's funny, same one here too.
https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/5658148330.html

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: something doesnt add up with these Reply with quote

Must be a nationwide thing. It showed up in Eugene, Or. as well.
http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/5673765525.html
My brother in law got scammed off of CL on a car deal.
If your gonna buy online. Buy from the samba classifieds. I did and never looked at the car. But I did spend hours talking with the PO/builder on the phone. It arrived at my front door as advertised.
Buyer beware.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: something doesnt add up with these Reply with quote

I've been hitting 'prohibited' on that one for months. CL really doesn't give a shit.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: something doesnt add up with these Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
If your gonna buy online. Buy from the samba classifieds. I did and never looked at the car. But I did spend hours talking with the PO/builder on the phone. It arrived at my front door as advertised.
Buyer beware.

There are scams here from time to time too but they usually get reported or I see them and remove them.

Talking with the person on the phone, asking for more photos and some detailed photos that only someone with the car could provide, and getting the seller's full contact info - All these things are necessary when buying a car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manxdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: something doesnt add up with these Reply with quote

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/5672227823.html
Same bus on CL in Georgia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SOLiiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: something doesnt add up with these Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Buyer beware.

Id drive to the car and bring it back. I dont trust anything I dont physically see with my own eyes. Besides, one mans meaning of it looks/drives/runs fine could mean a completely different thing to me.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: something doesnt add up with these Reply with quote

Hey, just a reminder if you are reading this thread to flag all of those craigslist ads above.

Last I checked only ONE of them had been removed due to flagging so far.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: something doesnt add up with these Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
SOLiiD wrote:

I didn't know that Zundfolge1432 had put his car up for sale on CL. Shocked Hey where's that phallic cup holder that you made? Very Happy
Actually, That looks like a legit car. If I was in the market for a 72. I might have a closer look at that one.
FWIW. I did hit the prohibit button on all of the other adds besides the last one.
Have a good week.

I'm 100 or so miles down the road from OK city. I've not used Craigslist to buy or sell cars, you'll see my stuff for sale here on the Samba. I've had nothing but good experiences dealing with people here.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: something doesnt add up with these Reply with quote

SOLiiD wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
Buyer beware.

Id drive to the car and bring it back. I dont trust anything I dont physically see with my own eyes. Besides, one mans meaning of it looks/drives/runs fine could mean a completely different thing to me.

I hear ya Soliid. You have to be cautious these days. Normally I would have gone to see the car. But at the time it was out of the question as I was working in upstate NY and the car was in Tucson, AZ. The seller posted the car add in the classified as "Featured add" car for sale. I don't think a scammer would waste the time or money to post it there.The shady type tend to lay low. Trying not draw attention to themselves. Would I do it again? Probably not. But this was the condition of car that I was looking for and as stated above I spent many hours talking to the seller. During those conversations he revealed certain personal information that was easy to check out by calling his employer. Once I was comfortable with the seller. I sent him an email requesting a "proof of life" photo. Less than three minutes later the requested photo appeared in a text message. So while others these days have had bad experiences. Mine was a very satisfying one.
Know thy enemy and know thy friend. Trust but verify.
Have a great weekend.

SOLiiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Something doesn't add up with these - Scam ads on craigslist Reply with quote

Samba classifieds are proving to be a good source in my search. Tomorrow will answer the question of just how legit this is.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: