Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The 1500 Club
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 176, 177, 178 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: The 1500 Club Reply with quote

ok, but type 34's were always faster. Single Carb 1500 factory spec T34 did 82mph cruising and max. Notch and square did 78mph cruising and max.

Aerodynamics
pedro sainz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: The 1500 Club Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
ok, but type 34's were always faster. Single Carb 1500 factory spec T34 did 82mph cruising and max. Notch and square did 78mph cruising and max.

Aerodynamics

Agree t34 Rides smooth and weight more and is longer and more aerodynamic and lower in roof height
Wow sounds like I really Like my T34 Smile
N.O.N.A member #3
The Truth is Out There
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lowlifenotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1500 Club Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what years the notch started changing ? I have a early 62 and am trying to figure out what year parts would still work and be correct. Since they seem to be hard enough to find a!ready I need all the options I can find.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1500 Club Reply with quote

Each year had revisions with regard to parts so it's not clear cut. You can download the parts book from this site for specific parts that you are looking to find.

The only part that you've asked about that's unique to your car, thus far, is the rear pop outs. Temporarily you can use the later pop outs until you find an early set - they're not super common. The other parts you want will be found with patience and searching the classifieds.

Your best bet is to keep one thread for your car and questions so that people who will help you out can keep track of what you're asking, what car you have and which parts you're looking to find.
lowlifenotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1500 Club Reply with quote

lowlifenotch wrote:
Can anyone tell me what years the notch started changing ? I have a early 62 and am trying to figure out what year parts would still work and be correct. Since they seem to be hard enough to find a!ready I need all the options I can find.

Also can anyone tell me if this would be the correct carb for my 1500?

lowlifenotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1500 Club Reply with quote

Thats good advice im not sure how to reply without making a new post yet.. still trying to figure this thing out.. would you mind taking a look at that carb pic i just put up and letting me now if you think its correct to the 1500 and if you have any advice on commenting or adding to a thread id appreciate it also..
pedro sainz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1500 Club Reply with quote

lowlifenotch wrote:
lowlifenotch wrote:

Also can anyone tell me if this would be the correct carb for my 1500?

Yes it is
There's a Phn Phn 1. Phn 2 and Phn 3
You best is the phn3. Is more updated

The one in your picture has to many problems on high speed
N.O.N.A member #3
The Truth is Out There
joshbuchan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: The 1500 Club Reply with quote

Hey type3 pros! I have a little confession to make....my whole life I've been hardcore into Aircooled VWs and this is the first time I've opened up the type3 forums Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed momma drove a green 65 square for a couple years when I was a nosepicker....all I remember from that car was getting car sick from sitting in the back on windy roads sucking CO from a leaky engine seal Laughing
I happened across a 63 notch local and had to have it! Initial plans were to break it down and rob the Trans and back brakes for a straight axle conversion on my 56 kombi but after getting it home I don't have the heart to part out such a complete car!

Let me say I'm not fishing for a sale here, rather looking to learn about some of the details of early T3's!
The car has a second ignition switch dangling under the column....I presume the factory column one has issues? Any tips here?
How much quality sheet metal is available for these models? I'm very familiar in rust repair in bugs and buses but not these! Pans and heater channels are toast.
Would the factory colour for rims be white and grey? How tough is it to find one in original paint? I'm missing one Evil or Very Mad
Are original paint black panels hard to come by? Needs front fenders in a bad way.....same guy I presume that got sawzall happy on the floors ground down some areas on fenders and left to rust Rolling Eyes

Rather than type out all the specifics again I copy and pasted part of the ad here.

Complete numbers matching notch for sale. Not missing much but she's got some rust. I don't have the heart to part out such an early complete car.....key is even in the ignition! Seats were re upholstered at some point in a "period correct" pattern and still very nice! Headliner is good, dash pad has a crack on either side of speaker but is real nice otherwise, door panels are restorable, has a very nice cardboard trunk liner, rear trunk vinyl that snaps over engine hatch is there and in decent shape. All gauges, pushbutton light/wiper switch etc all there and in nice condition. PO started cutting some rust out, floors are gone, needs channels/rockers, front fenders and a few misc small patches. It's missing the emblems, headlights, horn button and horn itself, rear licence light and that's about it!!! Car is still 6v.
This is an original L41 Black paint car, has had a re spray, hood and deck lid look to be red under black so they not original to car? Bumper blades are there but pretty rough, no bumperettes, car is rolling on repop porche steelies with old rubber (but hold air), I have 3 of 4 of the OE original paint wheels that can go with. Tail lights and reflectors are mint, all glass is original etched stuff (even front!) in very nice shape.....check out that killer dealer sticker in the back!
Have not attempted to start the motor but it appears to be complete and definatly isn't seized.....if I get time I may try and get it started?
I have current BC registration/title and signed transfer papers.

Thanks for any help in advance! Cheers Josh
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: The 1500 Club Reply with quote

Nice find Josh. I had that sticker in the back window re-popped Laughing I was actually wanting to make some more as I did it years ago.

Fist - forget what you know in respect of part for a bug - parts for a notchback. Type 3's are one of the hardest to find parts for. Why? Because there are no new ones being made or very few that are typically have to do with mechanicals.

Not to say you won't find what you are asking for - just that "if" you do, praise Jesus and be prepared to pony up. Wink

You have lots of the hard stuff there. Dont throw away anything! And be very mindful of all of it. An example would be pulling the front and rear windows - and you bend and booger up one of the trim pieces. You toss it thinking another will show. Not.

Start reading others resto threads. Start searching the classifieds and facebook for parts.

Its a col car and Im interested to see what you do with it.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: The 1500 Club Reply with quote

I saw you post that in the classifieds - cool car.
It's weird how many Black Notchback from Canada seem to be around lately...

Yes, the original ignition was just in the column.
It probably fell apart or got some sort of electrical issue and someone put in another ignition.
This is fairly common.
We would need pics to be able to tell you what might be wrong and if it could be fixed.

In this photo:

I see it has a "big button" glove box so it must be an early '63.
It also has some sort of handle added to the glove box door.
I see it has a lighter in the dashboard too - that is not original but a fairly common accessory.

Your wheels

Yes, from the Type 3 paint page the original wheel colors are Slate and Stone Beige.
It might be hard to find one more original one but you never know what people have saved. I used to have a couple singles of the other colors until I sold them to people who needed that exact color scheme

Your engine has some later parts on it but not a big deal - fuel pump, distributor, and it looks like the fan shroud too since it has a "clip" top cover. Originals for that year were bolt-on.

I can't answer the metal questions but I can see it looks like the front fenders rusted out in the typical places - tops and bottoms and around the headlights.
Since the car has already been repainted I wouldn't worry about finding original paint ones, I would find other fenders and get them painted to match.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joshbuchan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: The 1500 Club Reply with quote

Hey Jason, thanks for the reply! The sticker is super cool....I googled it and found one on a T34, not many pics out there.

I really hope someone steps up to put this one back on the road....OG black cars are killer! I just have no time or desire to do it for years to come....currently building a 55 vert, 54 panel, 55 single and 56 kombi in the near future. Could say I have a full plate Laughing

We assembled a 58 Ghia coupe last year so I know what you mean about different than t1 and t2 and not throwing out any of those little hens teeth Wink

What else can you tell me about the early ones?
joshbuchan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1500 Club Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for the info Everett! Yes the handle on the glove box was definately added. But the car has had limited mucking with over the years with only a few patches I've found.
I have a very excited buyer pending on it...she can chime in if wants Wink
Had someone local here saying it may be a vehicle that VW of Canada used to advertise the T3 across the country? Glad I was able to find a home for this girl instead of breaking it down and scrapping the rest!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1500 Club Reply with quote

joshbuchan wrote:
Cool, thanks for the info Everett! Yes the handle on the glove box was definately added. But the car has had limited mucking with over the years with only a few patches I've found.
I have a very excited buyer pending on it...she can chime in if wants Wink
Had someone local here saying it may be a vehicle that VW of Canada used to advertise the T3 across the country? Glad I was able to find a home for this girl instead of breaking it down and scrapping the rest!

I thought the tour was in 1962 though? Maybe late 1962.
There are comments about that in this thread but not the date of the tour
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=217476

As far as I know, the only Notchback on the tour was that black car on the left... but it looks like it has a sunroof

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Andre4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1500 Club Reply with quote

That's my old car!

Years ago there was somebody on thesamba selling original versions of those decals. I got a sign shop to make repros and that's what's in the window now. I sent one to Jason at the time too as a present... The rims were aftermarket chromies that I painted in the grey/black. When I sold the car all 4 OG rims went with it but somehow one has gotten lost. That was about 5 years ago. It is an early 63 car, dec of 62 production.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1500 Club Reply with quote

Finally He chimes in! I have his old OG NOS VW 1500 decal!

Thanks Andre!

Martin
allwagons

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1500 Club Reply with quote

Andre4 wrote:
That's my old car!

Years ago there was somebody on thesamba selling original versions of those decals. I got a sign shop to make repros and that's what's in the window now. I sent one to Jason at the time too as a present... The rims were aftermarket chromies that I painted in the grey/black. When I sold the car all 4 OG rims went with it but somehow one has gotten lost. That was about 5 years ago. It is an early 63 car, dec of 62 production.

You know I totally thought about you when I saw it and or Ted Ingram Laughing Now you chime in from the dead and Ted has PM me Laughing Cool Laughing

I still have one of those original water decal that was used to replicate. And then I had the one you sent me replicated some more! Laughing

Look my old 63 was on the tour too!

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1500 Club Reply with quote

I still have one of Jason's vinyl repops somewhere. Might go on the Ghia when it's finshed.
2011: 50 Years of the VW Type 3 / September 29–October 1 / California Central Coast
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1500 Club Reply with quote

Found some newsreel footage of the 1961 Frankfurt auto show, where the Type 3s were first shown to the public.

Link

At 5:35 the Type 34 cabrio leads coverage of the German manufacturers.
The VW section begins at 9:33 with the notch, Type 3 convertible and Variant.
Some notchbacks get road tested beginning at 19:01.

14:56 is for Notchboy. Very Happy
2011: 50 Years of the VW Type 3 / September 29–October 1 / California Central Coast
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1500 Club Reply with quote

Awesome.

Is it just me or does the zoom in of the Convertible Notchback at 10:24 look like it has white-needle gauges?
Maybe it's because it's black & white footage.
Tram
Samba Socialist

Location: Still Feelin' the Bern- Once you've felt it you can't un- feel it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1500 Club Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Awesome.

Is it just me or does the zoom in of the Convertible Notchback at 10:24 look like it has white-needle gauges?
Maybe it's because it's black & white footage.

Yes, it is VERY cool, and it's too bad there are no subtitles for non German speakers because there's an incredible amount of cool info in it. Interesting to see the Volvo P1800- I have one here in my restoration queue that's an early- early Jensen built one that is complete just like the one in the film, right down to the flat, non- descript wheel covers.

Everett- the red needles on charcoal grey backgrounds likely don't photo well in B&W, so it wouldn't surprise me if they used white for contrast. Don't know if you have any early- early repair manuals where the cooling tin on our VW engines appears grey rather than black- they did things like this specially for B&W photo shoots and newsreels.

Color TV was still pretty much a novelty until the late mid 60s, and even then, most of what you watched was still B&W because that's how most studios were set up. The availability of Color TVs was much greater than the availability of actual shows you could watch in color. Since most newsreels were shot for TV consumption by 1960 and no longer being shown before screening the main attraction in theaters they remained B&W.

Bryan67 wrote:
Just my hands. And a little lube. No tools.

To best contact me, please use the EMAIL function in my profile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 176, 177, 178 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Page 177 of 192

Jump to: