Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Like Button For TheSamba
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: The Like Button For TheSamba Reply with quote

Frequently on TheSamba, I read or see wonderful tidbits. It can be technical information or just a fine moment somebody is sharing. I am often compelled to write a note of props to the author. I often do not because a string of praise posts accumulate. The praise posts, while wonderful often dilute the original thread/message. I am a huge fan of positive reinforcement. A like button is such a simple way to convey props yet keep things on track. I'm no web site builder so I have no idea how difficult it would be to add a like button feature.
Who knows, it is probably trademarked and Everett would be billed every time somebody clicks it? I thought I would throw out the idea to fellow readers. If you had a like button on TheSamba would you use it? Do you feel it could bring out more positive vibes and encourage higher quality posts. So many folks on here have such amazing talent. I love seeing folks display their skills, photos, words, recipes, camping spots, struggles, joys, all of it human and Vanagon related. I'm one for seeing more of it pour out.
SoonerDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: The Like Button For TheSamba Reply with quote

I'd use it.
Some forums like edsbs.com have a star rating system for posts.

FORMERLY:
-'86 Wolfsburg Westy Weekender original 2.1 Waterboxer - "Buster". Like the moe. song - Pig can fly!! Not named after it's tendency to have things on it bust. Smile
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: The Like Button For TheSamba Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: The Like Button For TheSamba Reply with quote

This would be particularly helpful if search would then prioritize results with the most likes. One could wade through all the oil pressure threads to find well-liked posts by tencent and others.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: The Like Button For TheSamba Reply with quote

The site forum is where you want to discuss this so that the site owner will weigh in on the idea.
narendra.vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: The Like Button For TheSamba Reply with quote

I like to have Thanks button too & it should keep adding to the particular member who has been thanked. It should reflect in his avatar along with his posting no/-. Smile
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: The Like Button For TheSamba Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
The site forum is where you want to discuss this so that the site owner will weigh in on the idea.

Thanks
I did not really think Everett would would weigh in on the subject. Maybe I spent too many years working with large corporations. The guy at the top never seems to get the memo. I only threw this out because I read up a bit on Sat or Sun morning. Often times it is days after something was posted. I would enjoy sending that message of Thanks, that narendra.vw mentioned, with out adding blubber to a post.
I'm ok with the topic being moved if that is helpful
If I have to move it somebody has to map me how to do it.
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: The Like Button For TheSamba Reply with quote

BavarianWrench wrote:
I did not really think Everett would would weigh in on the subject. Maybe I spent too many years working with large corporations. The guy at the top never seems to get the memo. I only threw this out because I read up a bit on Sat or Sun morning. Often times it is days after something was posted. I would enjoy sending that message of Thanks, that narendra.vw mentioned, with out adding blubber to a post.
I'm ok with the topic being moved if that is helpful
If I have to move it somebody has to map me how to do it.

He will see it. In fact there is already a thread for site suggestions. I've posted on it a couple times and Everrrett usually responds same day.

My 1968 Campmobile
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: The Like Button For TheSamba Reply with quote

Everett is very hands on,
I moved this out of Vanagon to Site......

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Like Button For TheSamba Reply with quote

My guess is that topic/post moderation is something that's been around in many forms for long enough that no one could possibly have locked the idea up behind their IP fence. "Liking" something is only a facebook-way of saying it.

phpBB has a module that allows users to rate users, or their posts:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/phpbbrateuser/
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Like Button For TheSamba Reply with quote

Off the top of my head, there are different things, some of which have already been mentioned:
1. Post liking - You are basically saying you like something, sort of the same as a "Thanks"
2. Post rating - Rating a post on some of sort of system, like 1-5 stars or whatever. Often this also assigns an overall rating to a particular member based on their posts.
3. Upvote / Downvote - Liking / Disliking

All could have the possibility of showing the "best" posts on top via sorting.

The simplest is probably #1 and I believe that is what is being asked for here?

I may have missed some other option as well, feel free to chime in on that.

I am not concerned about using the term "Like":
Quote:

Weird - There is nothing actually there in that download except for some images files of stars.
No big deal though, there are other add-ons out there, I am sure of that.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Like Button For TheSamba Reply with quote

Thanks for the consideration Everett. It seems like a few folks would like to see something in place. I trust you've got a line on how to pull it off. Dancing
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Like Button For TheSamba Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

I am not concerned about using the term "Like":
Quote:

Weird - There is nothing actually there in that download except for some images files of stars.
No big deal though, there are other add-ons out there, I am sure of that.

Haha, my bad. I just assumed it was popular since it came up first in my search
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Like Button For TheSamba Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Off the top of my head, there are different things, some of which have already been mentioned:
1. Post liking - You are basically saying you like something, sort of the same as a "Thanks"
2. Post rating - Rating a post on some of sort of system, like 1-5 stars or whatever. Often this also assigns an overall rating to a particular member based on their posts.
3. Upvote / Downvote - Liking / Disliking

Not a fan of "like". Social media has it we don't want people asking to be "liked".

Post ratings... with the number of "trolls" here, I see people using it as a tool of revenge.

Personally, if you see a topic that has good technical information, is well laid out and includes descriptive pictures, bring it to the attention of the forum moderator and nominate it to be added to the FAQS/Sticky.

Social media is full of attention whores and trolls, i'm glad the Samba does not give them "tools" to indulge themselves.

My 2¢

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The Like Button For TheSamba Reply with quote

^ +1
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Like Button For TheSamba Reply with quote

pablum wrote:
^ +1

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Like Button For TheSamba Reply with quote

Good posts stand on their own merits, not on any reader rating system. I've yet to see any website post rating system that
was worth the electrons it took to show them. They are all "Me Too!" devices and pointless clutter. If you feel the need to pat some post author on the back, send them a PM.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Like Button For TheSamba Reply with quote

I Like Glenn's post Wink
I agree, too much potential for it to turn into a high school popularity contest thanks to a few ummm...... less mature members going trolling.
Perhaps a "was this post helpful?" option?, maybe if it was limited to one vote a day per member the trolls would lose interest in having to come back and vote every 24 hrs?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Like Button For TheSamba Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
Good posts stand on their own merits, not on any reader rating system. I've yet to see any website post rating system that
was worth the electrons it took to show them. They are all "Me Too!" devices and pointless clutter. If you feel the need to pat some post author on the back, send them a PM.

And that's what's being asked for. An easier way to send that quick PM. I've used forums that had a button like this. You would get a message when someone "liked" one of your posts. It was nice to know someone felt a particular post was helpful.

At least on that forum it wasn't so much for identifying the most liked posts, but more as a way to let the poster know their contribution was valuable.

I have looked for the missing like/rep type button before and assumed it was either a deliberate choice, or perhaps a technical decision related to the classifieds.

My 1968 Campmobile
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Like Button For TheSamba Reply with quote

With the whole up/down flame wars on Reddit, I'm imagining it would be hard to keep people from thumbing down someone they don't like. Up only makes it stay positive.

Either way it's not really necessary IMHO.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: