Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1st 914..
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
phughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: My 1st 914.. Reply with quote

I admit it, always been a Bug guy. Just drove home my 1st 914 ('76, 2.0L) and giggled the entire way. Holy Cow...what I have been missing. Great car, some quirks, so looking as a newbie for advice on the following. ( I am searching all over for answers, finding tidbits )
- windows have a gap at the top of the glass, wondering if an adjustment can be made to the regulators, or replace them.
- Momo steering wheel installed, now the bright light switch cannot be pulled. What the heck? is there a way around this?
- door locks are stiff, cannot lock or unlock. This worries me, I dont want to break the key in it. Scratching my head trying to figure out a plan of attack on this...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1976 914
1968 Ghia
Rathguten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1st 914.. Reply with quote

Wow! That car looks great! Congratulations.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1st 914.. Reply with quote

Nice car. Have you tried pulling the turn signal toward you to get brights? Find some powered graphite (locksmith or key section Walmart) and squeeze some in the key slot and GENTLY wiggle the key back and forth, repeat until lock works freely. Finally I would buy a roll of stick-on 3/4" weather stripping foam and stick it on the roof in the window area or You can remove the door panels and spray the innards with WD40 and see if there is an adjustment to the window mech.
Petfisheric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1st 914.. Reply with quote

The windows should go to the top of the quarter window track. If they do then you probably need new top door seals. If they don't, pull the door panels then clean and lube the regulator. Also check the window channels to see if there is any binding. While the panels are off clean and lube the door locks and latches.
phughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: My 1st 914.. Reply with quote

Thanks all..will check out the innards of the door...has to be something being held up in there to bind the lock, or, the graphite as noted. Car sat a long time..the key slot does not turn 1/4 way left or right, maybe only half that.

New top trim could be a plan also for the window...at some point, with cars this old, they need replacement.

New points, rotor, cap, cleaning and securing air hoses, and timing have made the engine amazing. Seems PO had everything off, lots of thing on the car only '3/4 done right.' Happens. Valve adjustment next.

Oil change to VR1 SAE 20W-50, and new gear oil in made shifting so much nicer.
1976 914
1968 Ghia
phughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: My 1st 914.. Reply with quote

Starbucket...thanks for the referral to graphite powder...it worked magic on the locking mechanisms...everything locks smoothly now! That stuff is beyond awesome. Thanks again...
1976 914
1968 Ghia
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1st 914.. Reply with quote

I know Graphite and locks go together, Oil just gathers dirt and gums up the works. I use it in all my locks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: