Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Warning - Craftsman tool chest
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gcbbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Warning - Craftsman tool chest Reply with quote

I thought I'd share a problem that could happen to you while working on your car in the garage. I have a Craftsman roller bearing rolling tool chest that I use when working on my VW. I was sitting on the floor and opened the bottom drawer to grab a tool and ALL of the drawers opened causing the tool chest to fall forward. Unfortunately I was in front of the chest and it did fall on top of me. MRI is scheduled for my shoulder tomorrow. Stay safe.
Ace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: WARNING1 Reply with quote

Damn. Im glad I got the one with the handle lock drawers. Hope a speedy recovery for you.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: WARNING1 Reply with quote

Good luck at the doc!

On mine the drawers can appear to be shut but they are not FULLY shut past the stop. This will allow them to re-open when tilted. Do yours have that positive stop that takes a pretty hard shove?
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Warning - Craftsman tool chest Reply with quote

gcbbug wrote:
I thought I'd share a problem that could happen to you while working on your car in the garage. I have a Craftsman roller bearing rolling tool chest that I use when working on my VW. I was sitting on the floor and opened the bottom drawer to grab a tool and ALL of the drawers opened causing the tool chest to fall forward. Unfortunately I was in front of the chest and it did fall on top of me. MRI is scheduled for my shoulder tomorrow. Stay safe.

Here's what you can do to alleviate this condition from ever happening again. Remove the bottom drawer. Obtain a piece of steel plate at least 1/2 inch or thicker slightly smaller than the space below the drawer. You could also use bags of lead shot but the steel plate will be cheaper especially as scrap. The idea is to add ballast down low. When you arrange your tool box place all the heaviest items in the lower drawers. You add several hundred pounds near the wheels and problem is solved. I've got older Snap-On boxes which do not feature drawer locks as mentioned above and over the years working with thousands of other mechanics this was the best idea we came up with short of buying a new box. I hope you can use this to make a safer work environment.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Warning - Craftsman tool chest Reply with quote

IKEA just recalled a bunch of dressers for the same issue. Apparently they initially had a bracket kit that mounted them to the wall, if you intend to keep your box, you might want to look into doing something like that. I hope all goes well for you.

http://blogs.wsj.com/riskandcompliance/2016/07/06/crisis-of-the-week-ikea-responds-to-recall/

This is also good info just in case someone has one of these.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Warning - Craftsman tool chest Reply with quote

I can see anchoring the box to a wall or fixed object if you never have a reason to move about. Our situation is different we have to be mobile and on call. One day working on the ramp outdoors next day inside under a landing gear or engine. Another possibility is a portable cart, this is what I use now. It has 99% of the tooling I need to do my job. Or I can load for the job at hand. The ultimate garage accessory would be the Hazet assistant, a really neat little German tool cart.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Warning - Craftsman tool chest Reply with quote

my snappon is taller than me(6'+)and about 40" wide.....Ive had somany drawrs open at the same tyme....I thiknk it weighs around 1500.so...I would be squished and no mri required just a mop. so how did all the drawrs open?? on a slant? you can get some 1/4" aluminum plates to go under /inbetween the wheels&chest(just the front wheels) and it will tilt it rearward a tad witch should alevate this issue. I had to move one of my machinest boxes last week....the effing drawars started opening....crappppppp!!!!!not fun.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Warning - Craftsman tool chest Reply with quote

I do have a cart but my box stays stationary. Unloaded it's close to 2000#s once tools are in it, it's probably 4,500#s. Modern professional tool boxes are designed to have a lower center of gravity & add to that heavier guage construction & locking drawers. Loading heaviest tools at the bottom is best anyway, especially for the cheaper hobbyists toolboxes.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Warning - Craftsman tool chest Reply with quote

Your snapon tool cart, with its casters at the outer corners, has a better center of gravity than the cheaper tool carts that most hobbyists have.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Warning - Craftsman tool chest Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
I do have a cart but my box stays stationary. Unloaded it's close to 2000#s once tools are in it, it's probably 4,500#s. Modern professional tool boxes are designed to have a lower center of gravity & add to that heavier guage construction & locking drawers. Loading heaviest tools at the bottom is best anyway, especially for the cheaper hobbyists toolboxes.

Very nice tool box I have a few Mac tools myself. Here's pic of my main tool box at work. The other boxes are at home in the garage. To the OP how are you doing?

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Warning - Craftsman tool chest Reply with quote

depth of box has a lot to do wif it too. mine are pretty deep. I have to get a box to stand on to look in the top & Im over 6" tall....so the top is a junk catcher. hmm I wonder just how many toolboxes I have? 5 bottoms....8 tops 1 side....possiably more that I cant remember/think of....most defiantly more. and there all full...but 1 top it's new and...trying to find a spot for it Shocked .they seem to be more addictive than vw's Shocked and those are not including all the tooling&jig boxes.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Warning - Craftsman tool chest Reply with quote

gcbbug wrote:
I was sitting on the floor and opened the bottom drawer to grab a tool and ALL of the drawers opened causing the tool chest to fall forward.

Really sorry to hear this happened to you. But I am really curious how all of the drawers opened at once.

I have a crappy lower rolling box, and it is tough to open and close the drawers when heavily loaded, but I always make sure no more than one drawers is open at one time, just for this reason.

Hope you are doing OK.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: