Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 Super Rusterection
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danno627 wrote:
The car looks great. I'm really impressed.

Thanks.... and? Any pan welding yet? Gas bottles to be filled? etc...? Let me know when you want some help plug welding in you're new pans.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dubjeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beetlenut wrote:
danno627 wrote:
The car looks great. I'm really impressed.

Thanks.... and? Any pan welding yet? Gas bottles to be filled? etc...? Let me know when you want some help plug welding in you're new pans.

Unfortunately we have had to do some home repairs. However, I think I was being too fussy about the fluxcore for the pan. I've got to study for another certification for work so I'll hit you up in August.
NewTechnicIan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey hey, any progress? I'm not sure I've ever posted in your thread but I've used it as a bible for a lot of my own repairs. It's looking beautiful in paint!

My 1679 Engine build.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NewTechnicIan wrote:
Hey hey, any progress? I'm not sure I've ever posted in your thread but I've used it as a bible for a lot of my own repairs. It's looking beautiful in paint!

Not as much as I would like. Life changes have forced me to live away from where my car is, so working on it isn't as easy or often as I would like. Getting ready to mate the body back on the pan, but needed to finish up some front and rear bumper mount fabrication first. I'll also have to look elsewhere to get the deck lids and fenders painted as that option has also dried up. Was hoping to get that done over the Winter locally, but things are slow on that end as well. Might not realistically get anymore done until Spring at this rate. Sad

On another note: I was up in your area last March during that epic 40 inch snow storm skiing Sugarbush!
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NewTechnicIan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no Way! I ride Sugarbush! That was an awesome storm, March has been kind to the mountains these last few years. Kind of an apology for the Decembers and Januarys.
I totally understand about living away from the car, mine is out at my buddy's place about 45 minutes from me, so I either head out there for the night or don't head out at all. Once I actually finish up the bodywork I'm hoping to get it back in my garage for the winter, but it'll be a close thing trying to beat the snow.

My 1679 Engine build.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NewTechnicIan wrote:
Oh no Way! I ride Sugarbush! That was an awesome storm, March has been kind to the mountains these last few years. Kind of an apology for the Decembers and Januarys.
I totally understand about living away from the car, mine is out at my buddy's place about 45 minutes from me, so I either head out there for the night or don't head out at all. Once I actually finish up the bodywork I'm hoping to get it back in my garage for the winter, but it'll be a close thing trying to beat the snow.

Like as in Sunday? I heard it may snow on Sunday. I'll be back up to Sugarbush again the March. I do a March trip every year.
Once I get the body back on the pan, I may move it into a garage across the street from where I'm living now. Then I can start to reassemble it whenever I want, even an hour at a time after work.

houseofboyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspiring thread! Appreciate your input....You've done a great job!

My '74 SB Build On The Samba: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=609943

Our Web Site: http://www.kentuckyhotwheels.com

1968 VW Beetle
2012 Turbo VW Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

houseofboyd wrote:
Inspiring thread! Appreciate your input....You've done a great job!

Thanks. Now what are you doing here, get busy!! JK. Once you get the body off everything becomes accessible, including rust you didn't know you had! Wink BTW, I have a lot more pictures that I didn't post if there's a certain area you need to see.

mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Beetlenut

I know I am late to the party but holey family...you really worked miracles with this Beetle. I sold my sons a couple of years ago...looked a lot like yours...well like yours used to look like. Thanks for posting all this reworking...I am learning tons about how to fix the great Northeast rust we all have to deal with up here.

You should count the number of patches you have put on this vehicle...over a hundred I bet....Smile

MikeC
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikec4193 wrote:
Hi Beetlenut

I know I am late to the party but holey family...you really worked miracles with this Beetle. I sold my sons a couple of years ago...looked a lot like yours...well like yours used to look like. Thanks for posting all this reworking...I am learning tons about how to fix the great Northeast rust we all have to deal with up here.

You should count the number of patches you have put on this vehicle...over a hundred I bet....Smile

MikeC

Thanks for the kind words Mike. I often joked while I was fixing all that, that I was building a new car out of welding wire! I'm half way through my second large spool. I tried to fix bad areas by taking them apart at the factory seams, and welding in new sections so they would look factory. I learned how to do most of it from looking at other peoples jobs on here. That in essence is the beauty of this site, knowledge perpetuated.

Jarhead8387
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Patch panels Reply with quote

When you are making your patch panels, like the bumper hole panels, are you beveling the edges and welding from both sides? It looks that way in one of your pictures and I am new to welding so I am trying to figure out the right way to put some patch panels in. Butt joint, over lap joint, using the lip pliers, welding both sides and so on. Any advice would be appreciated!
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Patch panels Reply with quote

Jarhead8387 wrote:
When you are making your patch panels, like the bumper hole panels, are you beveling the edges and welding from both sides? It looks that way in one of your pictures and I am new to welding so I am trying to figure out the right way to put some patch panels in. Butt joint, over lap joint, using the lip pliers, welding both sides and so on. Any advice would be appreciated!

Sorry its taken me so long to respond to this question, but I've been away from the project for a while. I'm not beveling the edges per-say, but I do file them smooth. I try to get them to fit perfectly, but lose. I used to fit them tight, but because of expansion during welding, they would start to bind or even overlap the hole and I'd have to trim them down again. That also told me that I wasn't being patient enough with the welding, and not spreading the tacks around the circumference of the patch, so it was heating up too much. I make cardboard templates of every piece of metal I use, then transfer the fitted cardboard template to metal, then trim the metal till it fits the way I like. I only weld from one side, and with good penetration, that's all you should have to. Overlap and lips will leave areas for corrosion to eventually form in, so I usually butt joint weld everything. Weld as hot as you can without burning through, and cut out old metal until you get into uniform good steel again. Only other thing is have the metal as clean as you can get it.[/b]

Motomazzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Rusterection Reply with quote

Hey Beetlenut - Just wanna say the work you've done to this car is awesome. I love your motto - "Scrapyards are for quitters". Good stuff. And I hear you on "being away from the project for a while". Going on my 6th year and my project is not as elaborate and nice as some I see done in less than a year. But hey, they're ours and it's our blood, sweat, and tears so who cares, right?

Keep at it. Awesome work.

Moto

'66 Sedan Project - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=410718

R.I.P. - Mikayla. I miss you Baby girl.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Rusterection Reply with quote

Motomazzo wrote:
Hey Beetlenut - Just wanna say the work you've done to this car is awesome. I love your motto - "Scrapyards are for quitters". Good stuff. And I hear you on "being away from the project for a while". Going on my 6th year and my project is not as elaborate and nice as some I see done in less than a year. But hey, they're ours and it's our blood, sweat, and tears so who cares, right?

Keep at it. Awesome work.

Moto

Thanks Moto - Looks like you've gone right through your car too. I like the color (Mango?) and the matching wheels with the interior. I learned a lot in the whole process, which was my goal when I started. I'm actually getting ready to buy all the suspension components from TopLine to get it back on it's wheels again. The worst of the worst is done. It's mostly reassembly from here on out, so hopefully I'll have some progress pics this Spring!

Motomazzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Rusterection Reply with quote

I totally hear you. Mine's Agave Green. Not year-correct, but I liked it. I wanted a very vintage, old-school look. The best part about going through your own car is you are familiar with every piece/part, etc. Anyway, you know the feeling. Keep going and yes, I'd say you are over the hill on that project. Congratulations!

Moto

'66 Sedan Project - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=410718

R.I.P. - Mikayla. I miss you Baby girl.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Rusterection Reply with quote

OK, at long last, an update. Got the body back on the pan, and the Gods must have been smiling on me, because every body bolt lined up! I was amazed! Guess making templates was/is a good idea!
So I started on the front with all new linkage, Maxx struts and front disk brakes from Topline.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I test fitted my 17x7 Turbo Twists, and they cleared the struts and steering linkage.

I managed to snag the 17x7 3 1/2 inch Porsche spare tire from the donor car I got my two front Twists from. It fits in the spare tire well perfectly. The Porsche spares are bright red for some reason. I'll have a spare now if I get a flat on one of the Twists. I was also able to run the new battery cable (red) from the starter up into the trunk for the remote mount I'm doing. You can see the positive #2 gauge coil on the left side of the trunk.

Once I finish the remote battery mount, I'll move on the the rear disks and Twists. Still have to get the fenders and deck lids painted to match the body soon. But it's progress!....

ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Rusterection Reply with quote

Congrats on the progress! You're just ahead of me and my 73/74 rebuild. I have the versamax struts. And hope to have the body back on in a few weeks. I'm afraid I will miss something though when I put it on....
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Rusterection Reply with quote

ToughBug wrote:
Congrats on the progress! You're just ahead of me and my 73/74 rebuild. I have the versamax struts. And hope to have the body back on in a few weeks. I'm afraid I will miss something though when I put it on....

Thanks, and you will miss something, but it will work out. I already found something that would have been much easier with the body off, but got it done anyway. If I was a betting man, I'd say you'll have yours on the road before I do.

awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Rusterection Reply with quote

I just started working on a '74 with four compressed bumper brackets and started searching for options on a part that is apparently NLA. Came across your thread here and saw what you've done. Truly impressive what you've done for this car. Very awesome!

Any progress?
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Rusterection Reply with quote

awreed wrote:
I just started working on a '74 with four compressed bumper brackets and started searching for options on a part that is apparently NLA. Came across your thread here and saw what you've done. Truly impressive what you've done for this car. Very awesome!

Any progress?

Thanks. Finished the remote battery mount and installed a new Bosch auto stick starter. Made progress in a indirect kind of way. I have to move the car, again, out of my garage to another garage. Put the old engine back in so I could move it with the car. I'm going to rebuild the engine this Winter as it's the same one that was in it from the accident 16 years ago. Meanwhile, the four fenders, front and rear deck lids, and rear apron are at the painters, and the front and rear bumpers and other miscellaneous things are at the powder coater.

I had the thought that since I had the battery hooked up and a new starter, I would try and crank the engine over to see what state it was in after sitting for so long. I took out the plugs and squirted in some oil into each cylinder as I turned the engine over by hand. Once I turned the key, the engine spun over like a cat on fire! So that was a nice result.

Planning on getting all the engine tin powder coated this Winter while the engine is being rebuilt, and hopefully driving the car this coming Spring.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: