Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Richard Petty Driving Experience
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Richard Petty Driving Experience Reply with quote

Anyone done it? What did you think?
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Richard Petty Driving Experience Reply with quote

Me & the Ol' Lady did this. Probably 10-12 years ago now. The family was on vacation in Disney World, and we took a day trip up to Daytona. You know, check out the track, drive on the beach. We didn't intend to sign up, but it seemed like a once in a life time kinda thing. We each went out as passengers. It was a blast. One of those things just has to be experienced at least once. The noise, the smell, the g-forces, those high 32* banks. We've watched the in-car videos a few times over the years. Glad we did it. Worth the cost, as high as it was.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Richard Petty Driving Experience Reply with quote

We took my dad down to Pocono Downs for his 60th birthday and let him do the driving. I did a ride along with the pro driver. The first corner scared the hell out of me, I swore the back end of that car was going to come out from under us, I was just waiting for the slide. Once I realized it was going to stay on the track, it was an awesome experience. Laughing
DWP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Richard Petty Driving Experience Reply with quote

My Wife got me a driving experience at Pocono Downs for Christmas. There is nothing like driving into a curve over 160MPH. You can feel,hope,pray that the rubber on the tires holds.
Funny thing was that there was a little bit of rain in the morning. In order to dry the track they had us drive out street cars around the track. Nothing like doing laps in a dodge caravan at 70 mph.
DWP
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Richard Petty Driving Experience Reply with quote

Glad you guys enjoyed it. Most of the people I was with seemed to be happy.

I was terribly frustrated, and ultimately pissed off.

I think the root of the problem was the car was set up for full-on NASCAR, made to turn left at 180 mph. But we weren't going 180 mph, so the car pulled massively to the left. It would have been fine if we could drive the car where it felt right, but they also had lanes marked on the track where they demanded you go, which was almost a full-speed race line. I also don't think they adjusted the handling for the high banking at MIS, so you ended up fighting the car and turning the wheel to the right while going around a left curve, just to make them happy you were following their instructions. Very disorienting and stupid. I've done a bit of auto-crossing, and I kept wanting to apex the turn and get around in a way that felt natural. Why couldn't they make the handling more neutral and let you drive it?

We were so far below the limits of the car, with its fat racing slicks, that I was disgusted. Which led me to commit the ultimate sin. They have cones set up to tell you where to get off the gas, and double cones set up where you should get back on. As we coasted around the corner, turning right while going left, I absent-mindedly got back on the gas. You know, like we were trying to get around the track fast. The cranky co-driver who hates his job screamed at me, and hit his throttle reduction knob.

I have pulled more G's in a Ford Focus, and have gone faster in my '91 500SL. With the top down.

If you've never had the family truckster above 90 mph, I guess it's a legal way to go triple digits. If you're a NASCAR fan, it's also neat to be on an actual track where the stars race. But you would have way more fun for a fraction of the price by renting or borrowing a sporty car and going to the closest track day.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Richard Petty Driving Experience Reply with quote

I talked with a friend that did the Driving Experience at Texas NASCAR track probably 7-8 years ago. He said he was allowed to drive as fast as he could and got up to 175 MPH and completely enjoyed it. All tracks are different and some are not necessarily good for beginners.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Richard Petty Driving Experience Reply with quote

I wanta do a road corse Shocked I did charlotte about 14 years ago with my wife&last kid....in the van going about 90 around it. so sweet even in a van filled with people probably about 8.then he stoped in a curve and people started shifting & figgeting skeered it was gonna roll over Shocked so wtf if it does?? your not moving!!!! but that 90 mph a min ago and wack the wall or roll it and...lights out.I dont think there was a seat belt in that van. I dont mind speed or curves I love em. drive it like you stole it every day. just be safe doing it. Wink
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Richard Petty Driving Experience Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I wanta do a road corse Shocked I did charlotte about 14 years ago with my wife&last kid....in the van going about 90 around it. so sweet even in a van filled with people probably about 8.then he stoped in a curve and people started shifting & figgeting skeered it was gonna roll over Shocked so wtf if it does?? your not moving!!!! but that 90 mph a min ago and wack the wall or roll it and...lights out.I dont think there was a seat belt in that van. I dont mind speed or curves I love em. drive it like you stole it every day. just be safe doing it. Wink

Yup, even a lunch break "Touring Session" at Road America in the family Audi (or a late friend's 928 with the widow and the cremains aboard) is a total blast. Very Happy
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Richard Petty Driving Experience Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:

a late friend's 928 with the widow and the cremains aboard

Nice. What a great final lap.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Richard Petty Driving Experience Reply with quote

my kid is at UGA & I have yet to be able to go see road atlanta,I did stay a mile form it one night and they were having the historic racing going on.....I was so pissed....still am.
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Richard Petty Driving Experience Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
I talked with a friend that did the Driving Experience at Texas NASCAR track probably 7-8 years ago. He said he was allowed to drive as fast as he could and got up to 175 MPH and completely enjoyed it. All tracks are different and some are not necessarily good for beginners.

Yeah, I'm sure each track is very different. One of the crew commented how much fun everyone had at Indianapolis, very high speeds and flat corners. Which left me even more confused; MIS is one of the fastest NASCAR tracks. The highest top speed in our group was 147 mph, which didn't seem very impressive. Even the ride-alongs with the pro driving maxed out at 160.

Must be they hate Yankees, especially those on corporate boondoggles.
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: Richard Petty Driving Experience Reply with quote

I did the Petty thing at Homestead. It was fun, but they didn't let us go fast enough. Only about 132 mph. I wasn't impressed. They told us to stay 5 car lengths behind the instructor, or they would wave the yellow at you, telling you to back off or speed up. Whatever they deemed necessary. They said I was too close,about three cars from him, so he started checking up and holding me back. I could have gone much faster had they allowed it. Sad . The car also had a terrible pull to the left.I assume they set it up that way to keep you from stuffing it into the wall if possible. The car is a Tank! I can see why they hold up so well in a crash. It would take a Lot to get hurt in one.
I spoke to the instructor later, and he offered to sell me more laps, and would then allow higher speeds if they thought I could handle it. If you want some real racing fun, put a car together for the www.chumpcar.com series. I have been racing with them for four years, and it is the best bang for your buck to get some serious seat time, and some wheel to wheel racing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: