Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Zwitter wheels
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

correct me if im wrong and if ur my other half thats nearly always..
but my 55 bus had a bug box in it, which had a 53 bug box installed, numbers are A167521## so makes it a late 53, an these wheels came with it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

disregard the "awesome" tyre.. it holds air an rolls the bus in an out of the shed.
the tyres are still on the rims so havnt seen the dates or brand on the inside of them, and cant find a date stamp between the holes either, but are they correct for 53 zwitter?
ive never seen this style of hubcap clip either, mind u australia didnt get all the rare cars other countries got either.
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone???
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen wheels like that on a VW; I doubt there are VW stamped. For sure the wheels at VW had no airgap between the rim and center of the wheels. That came later with 15 inch wheels for busses and more later at beetles. Did you find VW stamping on those?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter schepens wrote:
I have never seen wheels like that on a VW; I doubt there are VW stamped. For sure the wheels at VW had no airgap between the rim and center of the wheels. That came later with 15 inch wheels for busses and more later at beetles. Did you find VW stamping on those?

no stampings yet, ill have to take off the tyre and check the inside to see. they have got me stumped thats for sure
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

never been to australia, but Opel had wheels that fit a vw. Holden Opel, Opel Holden? are they wider than vw wheels?

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
volksfahrer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some english cars had them aswell Shocked
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only wheels I've seen that fit a Vw in aus are the ford anglia ones, which had the wide five pattern. Holden had small stud pattern, an Opel you don't really see on the road much.
Ill have to take off a tyre an see
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think ford pilot rims also used the same stud pattern.

as far as i know the first holden/opal connection was in the late 70's when we got the opal commodore? mainly with straight 6 or V8's (making a car fit for the australian redneck).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a closer look at them this morning an retract my statement of them been Vw wheels, On the rear they have a strange profile where the nut goes through, then I thought to myself, try a hubcap. An no they dont fit, so not a Vw rim
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

henry roberts wrote:
i think ford pilot rims also used the same stud pattern.

as far as i know the first holden/opal connection was in the late 70's when we got the opal commodore? mainly with straight 6 or V8's (making a car fit for the australian redneck).

great fan of the Opel Commodore, and the V8 version in Australia.

we got he Pontiac GTO and the Pontiac G8 for the US, and now the new Caprice PPV.

I am ready for some more inspiration from Australia, like a V8 rear wheel drive Ford... Smile

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
einsperren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Zwitter wheels Reply with quote

Dkw's of the 50's used the same bolt pattern as well as well .
THX 1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Zwitter wheels Reply with quote

I looked at my 53 Zwitters wheels and cant find any dates. Did they come with the stamps on the face of the rims or on the insides? Two look original because of the paint. The other two I dont know. I have good tires now so wont be taking them off anytime soon. Someone once told me they have to have a VW on the outside otherwise they aren't OEM. Is this true? Didn't know about the flat spot for the tubeless tires. What are other things to look for to tell if they are early rims or later ones?
RBLyon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Zwitter wheels Reply with quote

The date stamps are located both inside the rims and on the outside of the rim. The date stamp on the outside of the rim is located on the center of the rim near the lug holes. They can be hard to see from many layers of paint.
Zvonimir1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Zwitter wheels Reply with quote

Hey guys! What is all about 16" wheels? Dont understand why some zwitters had 16 and some 15.
Thanks!
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Zwitter wheels Reply with quote

The 15" wheels were introduced in Oct '52, on the Zwitter. As per the workshop manual, the 15" diameter is measured at the tire bead, not at the outer edge of the wheel rim flange. The latter measurement probably yields around 16", and therein lies the confusion.
RBLyon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Zwitter wheels Reply with quote

Do the Kronnenprinz wheels have a date stamp?
einsperren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Zwitter wheels Reply with quote

Hi, My 03-07-53 11G. has two original wheels dated 01-53. I would love to get two more if those. The spare is 03-53 . Why does it matter? The difference is reasonably correct dated parts (including wheels) would certainly and ultimately speak to the cars originality and eventually it's value. part of the "fun" in all of this is finding the missing parts to undo years of abuse and misguided maintenance and repairs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: