Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reading Rabbit wiring diagrams
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmarshall024
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Reading Rabbit wiring diagrams Reply with quote

I have a 1981 VW rabbit convertible that in great shape, but of course has electrical problems due to the fuse/relay panel getting wet at some point.

The car does run with the panels I've tried so far, but some key things that don't work are the directionals, emergency flashers, and the heater fan.

I haven't been able to find a shop near me that is really interested in working on the car so I'm going to push forward myself.

I have all the wiring diagrams etc, but does anyone know a place where I can get an explanation on how to read the diagram more effectively. Obviously I can follow the color coded wires, but I have a hard time visualizing the flow of power and understanding the black wires that run along the top of the diagram. Any help would be appreciated.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Reading Rabbit wiring diagrams Reply with quote

Power comes in from the circuit tracks at the top of the page & flows down through whatever consumer & down to the ground at the bottom of the page.

The circuit tracks at the top are numbered
30) battery positive, hot at all times
15) switched battery positive (b+) from ignition switch
1) ignition coil/distributor low voltage
X) switched B+ from load reduction relay
50) starter control, switched B+ from ignition switch

When the color codes on the wires that have two colors listed, the first color will be the dominant color & the second will be the stripe.

The number to the side of the color is the guage (how thick) that the wire is.

The numbers at the end of the wire are the component, (listed in the index at the bottom, the connector (first number is how many wires the connector has, second is which wire in that connector), or what current track (numbers at the bottom of page) that wire corresponds to (follow the numbers a page or so until you find where the wire reappears).

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:15 am; edited 2 times in total
jmarshall024
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Reading Rabbit wiring diagrams Reply with quote

oh ok. So 30, 15 and 31 are all power? Are these all red, but different gauges of wire?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Reading Rabbit wiring diagrams Reply with quote

Some are red, SOME ARE BLACK, unlike domestic cars ground wires in German cars are BROWN. Do not confuse them. Depending on the circuit, green wires are also switched hot.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
jmarshall024
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Reading Rabbit wiring diagrams Reply with quote

great thanks. sorry I didn't see your additional info about 30, 15 etc when I sent my follow up.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Reading Rabbit wiring diagrams Reply with quote

No prob, I edited it a few times to give as much info as possible. I'm guessing that since you're talking current flow diagrams, you're working with a Bentley manual, but if not, go get one. The Chiltons & Haynes manuals are only good for chocking the wheels, or as a booster seat.

jmarshall024
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Reading Rabbit wiring diagrams Reply with quote

Great - yes I have the bentley wiring diagrams and I've actually pieced out the 6 pages in one long landscape diagram so I'm going to go through everything piece by piece. The additional info helps.
jmarshall024
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Reading Rabbit wiring diagrams Reply with quote

I was poking around on the electrical for the 81 Rabbit convertible today. One of the main things that isn't working are the emergency flashers. I focused on the area in the attached electrical diagram.

I found with the key turned in the ignition "15" powered up and delivered power to the white wire (D12) and the black/blue wire (D20).

The on/off flasher switch turns power on/off on the white wire and the light on the dash worked as well, but no flashing.

I noticed when using my test light the power on the black/blue wire just barely lights the test light bulb. When I test the white and S8 fuse it lights the test light perfectly. I didn't notice any of the outside lights on the car go on.

I have a feeling full power isn't making it through the black/blue wire (D20) so not enough to power to activate the relay. Any thoughts on where I'm losing the power or the issue in general? Bad fuse/relay panel?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
jmarshall024
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Reading Rabbit wiring diagrams Reply with quote

Ok, I didn't figure out anything on my question above, but can someone tell me where "31" gets its power from and what this line is for?

I found everything coming from "30" is getting power at all times and "15" properly delivers power when the ignition is switched on.

Many, if not all, of the key items that don't work on my Rabbit (fuel pump relay, emergency flasher relay, windshield wiper relay, etc) all seem to be running off on "31".

Any ideas on where to start trouble shooting this track?
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Reading Rabbit wiring diagrams Reply with quote

jmarshall024 wrote:
Ok, I didn't figure out anything on my question above, but can someone tell me where "31" gets its power from and what this line is for?

31 = main ground circuit

Ensure that the main ground cable is in good shape and is connected properly: battery to frame rail, frame rail to transmission. Replacing that cable is advised, but it's up to you.

Ensure all grounds in the car are attached, clean, and in good shape. http://www.cabby-info.com/electrical.htm#Ground
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Reading Rabbit wiring diagrams Reply with quote

I'll have to look but if I remember correctly, 31 is a switched ground circuit. In the Bentley manual, a few pages before the diagrams & fuse/relay locations, there is a breakdown of the main circuits.

jmarshall024
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Reading Rabbit wiring diagrams Reply with quote

Thanks guys. So switched ground means that the switch is on the ground side of the circuit? So power comes into the relay via 30 or 15 and needs a functioning switch and good ground on the negative side?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Reading Rabbit wiring diagrams Reply with quote

look at the current track & follow 31 back to its source, it will be switched by a control module, the ignition switch, or most likely in this case, a relay. Once you find out the source, turn the ignition on to see if it "clicks" if not, you can remove the cover & manually close the relay to see if the consumers work, or you can use a jumper lead across the terminals that the relay is supposed to connect. If that works then the relay is suspect.

kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Reading Rabbit wiring diagrams Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
I'll have to look but if I remember correctly, 31 is a switched ground circuit. In the Bentley manual, a few pages before the diagrams & fuse/relay locations, there is a breakdown of the main circuits.
look at the current track & follow 31 back to its source,

31 is battery ground circuit

85 is switched ground at individual relays
2016 Golf GTI S
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Reading Rabbit wiring diagrams Reply with quote

kamzacab86 is right, sorry about that.

60's Burnout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Reading Rabbit wiring diagrams Reply with quote

OP, you have to memorize what all the numbers relate to, how the relays function, and how the krauts put it all together. It's a real brain teaser. I found it easiest to just go thru a functioning relay, measure all the voltages when you cycle it, and then use that for the rest of the junk. You want complicated? Try to figure out how a '67 Hella turnsignal flasher works. Guys that could fix a TV were flummoxed.

Nissan for some reason emulated the krauts; they had relays, tripping relays, tripping other relays. Guys with serious mental illness got assigned to wiring harness design...
jmarshall024
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Reading Rabbit wiring diagrams Reply with quote

yeah this wiring is terrible. strong possibility that another rabbit will be heading to the junkyard.

Anyone have a photo of where the transmission ground strap is? None of my books show it. I can't tell if I have one and its just covered in oil etc.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Reading Rabbit wiring diagrams Reply with quote

Earlier cars had a bare braided main negative cable that went under the air filter box to the body & then to the transmission mount, later cars had a plastic coated one that went to the bolt that held the transmission to the engine block (at roughly 11 o'clock position). I've seen a few cars where corrosion built up between the transmission and the mount bracket that the strap was grounded to. I assume that's why later cars were grounded directly to the block & trans.

kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Reading Rabbit wiring diagrams Reply with quote

jmarshall024 wrote:
strong possibility that another rabbit will be heading to the junkyard.

Please, no. Sad There were far less convertibles built than tin-tops. Convertibles are increasing in value, so, if anything, sell it to someone who will take the time to fix it. Or, put it on a truck and ship it to me.

jmarshall024 wrote:
Anyone have a photo of where the transmission ground strap is? None of my books show it. I can't tell if I have one and its just covered in oil etc.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The battery cable pictured is an aftermarket replacement; the convertible's original is a one-piece, bare copper cable.
2016 Golf GTI S
jmarshall024
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Reading Rabbit wiring diagrams Reply with quote

I'm doing my best to save it. That picture of the trans ground strap - is that from the top looking down into the engine bay? Also, similar for automatic?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: