Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The joys of being mechanically handy...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The joys of being mechanically handy... Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
It's like owning a pickup truck. You suddenly become real popular when people want to move, get heavy stuff or lumber, etc. etc. Then when YOU need help, they all mysteriously vanish. I get around this now because I have a shell on my truck which I ain't taking off. Now my son has a pickup...hmmm... Wink

Almost everyone here owns a truck, so my single cab and rusty Toyota aren't unique. Wink I'm OK with that.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The joys of being mechanically handy... Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
I did the, "hammer on the starter" trick on a friends Subaru the other day in front of about 5 grown men that knew nothing about cars.

They thought I was a magician.

It is an oddly satisfying thing, isn't it? So many folks have no clue how things work anymore.

Last edited by cdennisg on Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The joys of being mechanically handy... Reply with quote

I don't mind helping someone if I can. The neighborhood handy man is one thing but if you turn wrenches for a living and they know it then they are after you even more than usual. It's a two way street though I fix your car you buy me lunch and beer. Very Happy concerning f150s if they were early to mid 90s those are weak. I had three and all of them and all had front brake problems. Visually the spindle, caliper and rotor are way too small not up to the task. Bearings also had plastic cages, I'm not impressed. Back to the handy wrench guy they find you know HVAC,plumbing and electrical and you are golden.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The joys of being mechanically handy... Reply with quote

thus the reason my stuff dosent get done. I just dont understand how when somebody effs shit up it's my job to fix it.... Confused but I didnt do it...but I have to fix it. it seems to be some sort of cycle and not a harly or yamaha either. after about 3 years with my first wife I had to tell her I wasent a gasstation attendent Shocked living hear in FL at the beach...well she was from stloius..aera..st louis? up north. and had a lot of over extended family that liked this aera a,d seemed to think this is where they need to get all thier regular maint done..by me.... I didnt mind the uncle that wandered into our shop with a gm car and dead coil running on half the cylinders, thats not regular maint stuff( well it should be due to gm's stupid system& plug gap) I had him out in about 15 min tickled shitless. that was about 25 years ago. back inoct lasy year my first daughter got married in tenn. there was tons of people there.some I knew some I didnt.some I wish I hadent.... then there was this guy I just couldent place but I knew I knew him. at the end I asked him....he replied you fixed my car lickety split in fl a long tyme ago. I said tommy he said yup. great guy. those I dont mind.and it was good to see him and for him to remember it. But for most ....your fuck up dosent constitute a emergency for me. and I aint no gastation attendent. hell I dont want to work on my shit why would I want to work on yours. thus the reason for doing it right the first time and forget about it. yes shit hapens, but it seems to happen a lot to the ones who dont have a clue.....aka.."ex~spurts"
Ive done a lot for a lot of people, and all i seem to get in return is effed over one way or another.$7000. trick sbc....I was letting a friend use till his big block was done.....sold in the car.....I got squat, but atleast I dont have him for a friend any more.. Wink I did 2 vw motors for a samba guy and........yup I tried to get some help from him...got shit for work paid him halfway through, I wasent able to inspect this exsperts craftsmanshit(construction/addtion) till he left with tools&$$$$$ the work was pure shit.gess I should of had him do work for me befor I did his motors Shocked so....IM DONE!!!! remember what the guy at the wizzards door said??? no how no way go away...or somethen like that...yes I still do for mom & my kids.Im not an asshole. Shocked
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The joys of being mechanically handy... Reply with quote

Can't read it. Didn't read it. Won't read it.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: The joys of being mechanically handy... Reply with quote

Over the years I've helped many people with various repairs, from mechanical to home repairs.

I've backed off, age, time and greed.
The latest, my neice.... I helped her fix her car when she was young to save my Wife's brother some coin (we're good buddies).

Once she got out of the house and taking care of herself I stopped helping her.
Why?
She was/is an ungrateful, entitled, foul mooded brat!
During the entire time I helped, she rarely if ever mumbled a simple thank you or showed any glimmer of appreciation. Actually, she constantly complained that she had to travel up North on the parkway to my home for free repairs!
Little Bitch!

I just stopped being available to help.

Her little Sister? I'd help anytime and go rescue her anywhere, she is a good natured, happy, social and appreciatiive kid! (Plus we're "Birthday buddies" sharing a birthday)

Anyway......
Too many selfish takers today who won't reciprocate offering help in their skill set!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: The joys of being mechanically handy... Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

During the entire time I helped, she rarely if ever mumbled a simple thank you or showed any glimmer of appreciation. Actually, she constantly complained that she had to travel up North on the parkway to my home for free repairs!
Little Bitch!
Dave

Yea, I (we) have all ran into these types of folks. It only takes once for me to bend over backwards to help, get that type of reaction and never help again..

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: The joys of being mechanically handy... Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Little Bitch!
Dave

Yea, I (we) have all ran into these types of folks. It only takes once for me to bend over backwards to help, get that type of reaction and never help again..

Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there with their little entitled attitudes. As far as I'm concerned, they can eff off. And then they wonder why no one is willing to do favors for them. What goes around...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: The joys of being mechanically handy... Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Over the years I've helped many people with various repairs, from mechanical to home repairs.

The latest, my neice.... I helped her fix her car when she was young to save my Wife's brother some coin (we're good buddies).

Why?
Little Bitch!

Her little Sister? I'd help anytime and go rescue her anywhere, she is a good natured, happy, social and appreciatiive kid! (Plus we're "Birthday buddies" sharing a birthday)

Anyway......
Too many selfish takers today who won't reciprocate offering help in their skill set!

Dave

Reminds me of Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino. When they read the will his family got shit and the Torino goes to the Vietnamese kid next door.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: The joys of being mechanically handy... Reply with quote

Get off my lawn
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The joys of being mechanically handy... Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Get off my lawn

I think everyone had one of those in their neighborhood.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The joys of being mechanically handy... Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Me too, I used to be "that guy", but grew tired of getting walked on and not having time to deal with my own shit. Now unless you let me make babies with you, are one of my babies or made me as a baby you'll get answers like.... "the dealer is just down the road, want me to look up the number for you?" or "Let me check my calendar, I think I can fit you in later next week, my shop rate is $XX hr., bring cash". (shop rate is adjusted depending on the dick factor).

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The joys of being mechanically handy... Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
(shop rate is adjusted depending on the dick factor).
the bigger junk the smaller the bill?

weird, i never had to drop my trouser to get an estimate around here!

Razz Laughing
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The joys of being mechanically handy... Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Why?
Little Bitch!

Anyway......

Dave

Reminds me of Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino. When they read the will his family got shit and the Torino goes to the Vietnamese kid next door.
EX zackery!!!!! me, me, me, me, take take take.by by by. or you find out thise skill set is...thier mouth, as thier work is shit.but there an exspurt craftsman...crapsman?

hey manfred!!! where are those crusty oldtymers watchen utube teaching you???on a lap top??crap you must be 12 years old Rolling Eyes Wink or were they watching the tube wishing for a lapdance Confused (not by you)

I do miss helping and doing a lot of stuff, but it seems not to be worth it these days with all the assholes&scamers&bitches&morons&ungreatfulls& well you get the idea. If I determan your worth it....possiably.but that just bit me this year big tyme so....lapdance first& see how that comes out. Wink
bt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: The joys of being mechanically handy... Reply with quote

Rarely do I mention that I can fix things.

Most of my life I have been a suit and tie kind of person. Once a friend of my girlfriend saw me "dirty" and called her to ask if I was OK, "had I been in a accident"? She told her that I build cars in my spare time, she said "Him!!??, he's too concerned with his appearance to get dirty"

Another friend that only knew me from working on cars, saw me in a suit and asked if I was on my way to Court. I told him this is how I dressed for work everyday, he could not believe I was the same person.

My cut-up hands are the only indication that I know which end is the business end of a hammer
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: The joys of being mechanically handy... Reply with quote

bt wrote:

My cut-up hands are the only indication that I know which end is the business end of a hammer

But it sounds like you're not using it correctly. Laughing

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
bt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: The joys of being mechanically handy... Reply with quote

Along the same lines that "you get the face you deserve after 30". If you've been working with your hands for a few years, there going to have all kinds of cuts and marks on them.

Pol-pot and the Khmer Rouge (and those of their ilk) used a your hands as a test to see if you were an intellectual, if you had soft hands they killed you. If you had rough hands it meant you would live to see another day
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: The joys of being mechanically handy... Reply with quote

Yep, I'm 48 and my hands look 70
Guess that comes from being an actual Mechanic (well, now I'm called a "Technician") for the last 25+ years.

I've helped so many people over the years that I can't even remember half of them. and by "help", I mean I did everything while they kicked back and did zip.
I'm not bitter, I'm just not inclined to help anyone these days. Family excluded, of course. in fact, next week while on vacation I'll be doing the rear brakes on my Mom's 2000 Malibu, and when I get back I'll be replacing the A/C compressor on my daughter's 98 Civic. Naturally,I'll also be buying the parts on both cars as well LOL

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: The joys of being mechanically handy... Reply with quote

slave1pilot wrote:
when I get back I'll be replacing the A/C compressor on my daughter's 98 Civic.

Off topic, but I've only done AC compressors on "traditional" layout engines/vehicles; is there anything different to do for transverse engines like this, or is everything just tougher access?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The joys of being mechanically handy... Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Can't read it. Didn't read it. Won't read it.

Maybe Mrs. Cleaver can help translate for you.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: