Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

adding 3inch body lift to baja pan already caged?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shifty2006
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: adding 3inch body lift to baja pan already caged? Reply with quote

so i have a pan with a full cage running suspension and all i took the body off since it didn't have a roof and i plan i putting a full body on it but i wanted to add a 3 inch body lift out of 3" x 1.5" my question for anyone that has some insight in this is if i lift the body 3 inches will the body still clear the width of the cage. I'm attaching a picture of what it looked like when i first picked it up with the old vw sides and everything before stripping and sandblasting everything it had the old sides attached to the pan so i'm assuming a body will fit but if its 3 inches higher im not sure if it will clear the b pillar? anyone with experience please chime in before i fab up the lift and get disapointed and have to remove it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

project of pieces to be assemble to someday be a baja (inprogress)
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: adding 3inch body lift to baja pan already caged? Reply with quote

You could always lift the suspension 3". Unless you need the bodylift for tire clearance.
no1clyde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: adding 3inch body lift to baja pan already caged? Reply with quote

I don't know how mine my compare to yours but I kept my pan and built my cage and built my 3" lift and I can and do take my body off. I have to kind of rock the body over and around my door bars but it is easy to do. This is my car with the body on.

And this is it with the body off.

And here is the removal.

To me it looks like yours would be about the same.

Ed
Shifty2006
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: adding 3inch body lift to baja pan already caged? Reply with quote

i guess I will keep my fingers crossed that the body fits on with the lift I guess I wont be able to tell until I actually go to mount the thing. samT my plan is to pick up some 3x3 to go along with my 6" wider beam and 2 arms I just don't want to get that far and have any issues later down the road with the clearance. I would like to pick up some 3" lift spindles but the $500 and some change for them when I have so much other stuff to get is holding me back at the moment. no1clyde I love the set up of the sheet metal blocking off the front "firewall" I've been trying to figure out how to go about it on mine and that gives me some ideas. do you still have any issues with the wind blowing in around the sheet metal and the body.?
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: adding 3inch body lift to baja pan already caged? Reply with quote

I couldnt make myself buy them either. I built some though. But its quite controversial! The thread is not far down.

You can always add them later or I guess the best thing would be to luck into some thing spindles.
no1clyde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: adding 3inch body lift to baja pan already caged? Reply with quote

Shifty you see the red around the outside, that is rubber backed carpet I used as a gasket so to speak and it worked well. I sheet metal screwed it to the body for a seal but this time I will do a nicer job LOL. If your interested there is a complete build thread on ShopTalk forum under Ed's Baja Bug build.

Ed
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: adding 3inch body lift to baja pan already caged? Reply with quote

I am fairly certain there is not much Ed can not do when he puts his mind to it!
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
Shifty2006
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: adding 3inch body lift to baja pan already caged? Reply with quote

Ed i just read your entire build that's some pretty amazing work. I like the idea of the gasket. When i get to that point i guess i will spend sometime at home depot and see if i can come across something i can use. I just really want to be able to seal this one up my last baja was wide open in the back and had no glass but the windshield the sides were just the nets. That set up was great in the summer but wow when i would find a puddle in the other months i might have well been on a motorcycle. Also are you using any type of sealer or gasket inbetween the the body and top of your lift?
no1clyde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: adding 3inch body lift to baja pan already caged? Reply with quote

ORANGECRUSHer wrote:
I am fairly certain there is not much Ed can not do when he puts his mind to it!

Well thanks OC, I do try when something gets in to my mind Very Happy

Ed
no1clyde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: adding 3inch body lift to baja pan already caged? Reply with quote

Shifty2006 wrote:
Ed i just read your entire build that's some pretty amazing work. I like the idea of the gasket. When i get to that point i guess i will spend sometime at home depot and see if i can come across something i can use. I just really want to be able to seal this one up my last baja was wide open in the back and had no glass but the windshield the sides were just the nets. That set up was great in the summer but wow when i would find a puddle in the other months i might have well been on a motorcycle. Also are you using any type of sealer or gasket inbetween the the body and top of your lift?

Well thank you Shifty.

When I threw the car together to take on the Grand Canyon trip I did not use a gasket between the body and lift but this time I will be using a gasket of some kind down there. I am working toward sealed in with heat an AC if I can gather all the parts but I am gaining on that. No mud got in on the Grand Canyon run and we were in a little so I was happy with the temporary gasket around the front and the back too.

Ed
Shifty2006
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: adding 3inch body lift to baja pan already caged? Reply with quote

no1clyde wrote:
Shifty2006 wrote:

Well thank you Shifty.

When I threw the car together to take on the Grand Canyon trip I did not use a gasket between the body and lift but this time I will be using a gasket of some kind down there. I am working toward sealed in with heat an AC if I can gather all the parts but I am gaining on that. No mud got in on the Grand Canyon run and we were in a little so I was happy with the temporary gasket around the front and the back too.

Ed

Hey Ed do you have any pictures of the front "firewall" of the body on your Baja I tried to look on shop talk but it's undergoing service and I cant. I finally got my body to my house and stripped it I'm ready to start making cuts to clear the cage but being kinda chicken at the same point wanted to see what yours looks like for an idea.
no1clyde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: adding 3inch body lift to baja pan already caged? Reply with quote

These 2 may be what you want.

I was a little afraid to cut mine too but it had to be cut to clear the cage.

Here is one more with no fire wall just the cut out part and much earlier in the cage build.

Basically I left about a inch of metal and just cut down the top and sides of the front toe box.

Hope this helps.

Ed
Shifty2006
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: adding 3inch body lift to baja pan already caged? Reply with quote

That's exactly what I need thank you again. I guess it's time to load up on sawzall blades and begin surgery.
Shifty2006
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: adding 3inch body lift to baja pan already caged? Reply with quote

Ugh after 16 days on the fireline trying to pick up where I was seems impossible to find. I'm still plugging away at the Baja I have the body set on the top of the cage and the lift it fits just fine but I have to find the length and thread on the bolts for the new lift, figure a parts list for getting 3x3 on to make a roller, and try to find an old listing I found a wayys back for sheet metal rear fenders.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: adding 3inch body lift to baja pan already caged? Reply with quote

Sounds like you're a fire fighter. Not a pleasant job in that neighborhood lately. I hope your home is OK, No mention, so apparently it's OK. 19,000 acres and 150 homes burned in 12 hours is a NASTY fire.

My son's buddies were camping and fishing up the North Fork of the River at the time. They had no trouble. But it was close.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shifty2006
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: adding 3inch body lift to baja pan already caged? Reply with quote

Affirmative the destruction is a bit different when we are dealing with it in our own homes instead of states away. My house was by the point of origin not where the head of the fire went so I was lucky, one of my seasonals lost his house but the support of the community for everyone that was affected has been remarkable. Yeah I will definitely say that it was an assignment that reminded us that sometimes no matter our efforts and how hard we try we may just have to get out of the way and save what we can. Sounds like his friends were up by my station in Johnsondale.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: adding 3inch body lift to baja pan already caged? Reply with quote

Yeah, I think they were. They aren't so familiar with the area as I am, so they don't really know quite where they were, but from the pics they've shared with me, the background looks like it.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shifty2006
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: adding 3inch body lift to baja pan already caged? Reply with quote

After finally getting some days off of fire I got my lift in and the body finally bolted but the body sways back and forth just my wiggling it I think it's because I don't have any firewalls or maybe something else. Has anyone else had this issue I am sure I cant be the only one I see plenty of people like ed whos body is just mounted over a cage but I am not sure how to eliminate the issue..
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: adding 3inch body lift to baja pan already caged? Reply with quote

is the lift made of 16 gauge, or 1/4" square tubing? is the body swaying, or the lift?

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
no1clyde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: adding 3inch body lift to baja pan already caged? Reply with quote

Shifty mine did that too. I tried mounts at the top of the cage to the body and all that did was break the body so I took them out. I ended up making plates that attach to the cage at the top of the foot box and the front inner finder for the front and in the back I made a plate that bolts to the body under the back window and then to the cage all the way across to stop that. Here is the rear, you can see the 8 bolts in the cross piece.

Those things have stopped the body movement.

BTW my car is red now LOL.

Ed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: