Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sick of this and about to give up.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

johnnypan wrote:
It appears that all should come out...the diaphram,shaft and smaller rubber (which should be the piston) and the spacer control the vacuum porting...pull items 9,10 and 11 too,the check valve ...and inspect. if my theory holds thats where the problem is.

Unfortunately to get to 9 10 and 11 I have to be able to get the diaphragm out. I'lll keep messing with it. I can't see anything from that diagram that should be holding the diaphragm rod in place on the other side of the rubber piston but that sure is what it feels like.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

Welp-- I actually remembered that I had another spare old control valve with a broken solenoid terminal in a box. So rather than risk damaging my main unit I decided to practice on this one instead. And it's a good thing I did!

I tried coming at it from the other side:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tried gently tapping that spacer to see if the diaphragm would fall out the other side, but it didn't.

SO, I tried pulling more from the other side and sure enough I tore the outside of the small rubber on the other end of the rod (what arrow points to in picture here):

Apparently, this piece of rubber on that end of the diaphragm rod was sealed to the dished support that it sits in (#28 in the diagram above.) so I needed to actually pry the whole support out first. Oops.

Anyway, with everything out now you can see the two screws that hold the diaphragm housing to the valve housing. Wow I CANNOT get these screws out at all- even my cordless screwdriver won't turn them. This is apparently the last thing I need to remove before being able to get to the check valve parts...

1600 SP engine
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

Take a center punch and hammer and gently tap the screw in a counterclockwise direction,it works like an impact wrench.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

Another trick is to try to turn the screws ever so slightly tighter and then try to loosen. If you feel it wiggle slightly, repeat tightening/loosening moving more and more as you work it loose.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Another trick is to try to turn the screws ever so slightly tighter and then try to loosen. If you feel it wiggle slightly, repeat tightening/loosening moving more and more as you work it loose.
You might try a little WD-40 or PB Blaster on the screws while you're doing this. Every time they are loosened and then tightened it works the liquid a bit further down into the threads. I've had luck doing this with galled threads in aluminum.

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

johnnypan wrote:
Take a center punch and hammer and gently tap the screw in a counterclockwise direction,it works like an impact wrench.

X2

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

Am i just looking for a sticking check valve up under there once I get it apart? Or is there something else I should be looking for

1600 SP engine
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Am i just looking for a sticking check valve up under there once I get it apart? Or is there something else I should be looking for

Its all about cleaning and rehydrating rubber parts
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

I took my working control valve apart tonight, I posted a thread about the disassembly procedure here if anyone is interested:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8134331#8134331

Long and short is, I did find some crud inside especially on the screws holding the diaphragm housing to the main valve housing:

So I soaked them in carb cleaner (after removing all the rubber and plastic parts of course) and I will be reassembling the control valve tomorrow-- we'll see if it makes a difference after I get the engine bay back together (still have to get the thermostat rod and flap parts and reinstall later this weekend.)

1600 SP engine
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

johnnypan wrote:
sb001 wrote:

How?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

The rubber inside the control valve doesn't seem to be shot at all-- still soft and pliable. Maguiar's makes some kind of rubber cleaner/ restorer I think, of course it won't magically restore hardened rubber but it will protect good condition rubber from deteriorating as fast I think.
One major cause of hardened rubber is UV light, probably one of the reasons the rubber in the control valve is still in good shape--it never sees the light of day.

1600 SP engine
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

Atleast you are putting forth the effort to resolve your problem. JP does genuinely sound like he is trying to help you once you get past the gruff exterior.

You found a small problem with your oil cooler. Now you should get better oil flow since it won't be restricted. Your cleaning up your control valve. Again looks like you are taking the right steps forward.

I'm sure you can get the whole of the problem licked by doing all the small things which add to one big thing. I look forward to all your doing and the results.

All I can offer now is words of encouragement. Keep at it. There are people who want to see you fixed and running happily.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
The rubber inside the control valve doesn't seem to be shot at all-- still soft and pliable. Maguiar's makes some kind of rubber cleaner/ restorer I think, of course it won't magically restore hardened rubber but it will protect good condition rubber from deteriorating as fast I think.
One major cause of hardened rubber is UV light, probably one of the reasons the rubber in the control valve is still in good shape--it never sees the light of day.

Zymol Seal Conditioner might help:
http://www.autoanything.com/car-care/zymol-rubber-seal-conditioner
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

So what is the width of the cooling fan??
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
johnnypan wrote:
sb001 wrote:

How?

Plenty of products out there..the one trick I use is orange pumice hand cleaner,it works wonders on running board covers.

this is citrus based fancy stuff for the stuff he's doing...or take some orange handcleaner and mix with water,use a Q tip,clean the little stuff..

aside to chocobeef..since you offer your opinion on others what exactly do you bring to the party? words of encouragement? really?

you can rig up a soda blaster to clean the control valve housing..

those square seals are called quad rings..you can match them up at a hydraulic shop if you need to..
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

No idea yet, what would be correct for a single port 1600 (non-doghouse) fan shoud?

Is there a reason you think it might not be correct? This fan shroud came with everything else when they rebuilt the engine back in the mid-90s after my engine fire. It appears they got everything correct, even down to the correct autostick distributor....

1600 SP engine
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

No idea yet, what would be correct for a single port 1600 (non-doghouse) fan shoud?

Is there a reason you think it might not be correct? This fan shroud came with everything else when they rebuilt the engine back in the mid-90s after my engine fire. It appears they got everything correct, even down to the correct autostick distributor....

Just remove the 4 bolts holding the generator backing plate to the fan shroud, and measure the width of the cooling fan and report back to use what you find.

I have seen a ton of miss-matched parts after so called "rebuilds"

I don't trust anyone anymore.

Idea I've had a few beers. Idea

Some of the even earlier Fans had less blades, and slight smaller in width. (I don't have the spec)

Your fan should be 32 mm in width for a non-dog house fan shroud.

If you install a 32mm fan in a dog house shroud it will cool terribly.

And if you install a 35mm dog house fan into a non-dog house shroud it wont even spin.

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

Mr.Duncan wrote:
sb001 wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

Just remove the 4 bolts holding the generator backing plate to the fan shroud, and measure the width of the cooling fan and report back to use what you find.

I have seen a ton of miss-matched parts after so called "rebuilds"

I don't trust anyone anymore.

Idea I've had a few beers. Idea

Some of the even earlier Fans had less blades, and slight smaller in width. (I don't have the spec)

Your fan should be 32 mm in width for a non-dog house fan shroud.

If you install a 32mm fan in a dog house shroud it will cool terribly.

And if you install a 35mm dog house fan into a non-dog house shroud it wont even spin.

Ill agree to that, after a while you see just about everything..
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

I'd be happy to report back the size of the fan

But, the top left bolt holding the generator backing plate WILL NOT come out, it jut spins in the hole, like the threads are not catching to pull it out. Tried everything.... tried getting a flathead screwdriver underneath the bolt head and prying while turning the bolt, tried reaching in to the shroud and pushing from behind while turning the bolt, tried holding the bolt with a pair of pliers and lifting the whole fan shroud and stomping down on it Razz No luck that sucker is not coming out. Unbelievable

1600 SP engine
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
I'd be happy to report back the size of the fan

But, the top left bolt holding the generator backing plate WILL NOT come out, it jut spins in the hole, like the threads are not catching to pull it out. Tried everything.... tried getting a flathead screwdriver underneath the bolt head and prying while turning the bolt, tried reaching in to the shroud and pushing from behind while turning the bolt, tried holding the bolt with a pair of pliers and lifting the whole fan shroud and stomping down on it Razz No luck that sucker is not coming out. Unbelievable

Thats not your problem...a non doghouse fan will fit in a doghouse shroud but not visa-versa..your engine needs to break in some before you start chasing heat issues..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Jump to:
Page 25 of 35

Jump to: